Just go for it

Let's just go for killer offense this draft. Address defense in free agency.

1st - Cordarelle Patterson big, fast WR

2nd - Da'rick Rogers big, fast WR

3rd - Best remaining tall fast receiving TE

QB?...well. You can't have it all.

There seems to be a reasonably strong group of FA WR and TE across the spectrum from "Star" to "Steady mid-pack guy"

I'm in with trying for a first or 2nd round talent at WR, but we better take a shot at a high round QB if there's one we like 1-3rd.

Even if we don't think he's our Kaepernick or our Wilson we need to take a shot at getting our Cousins or Flynn.

I would not be in with Patterson at #8. 1 season, ~ 40 receptions - we already have Marcus Easley, let's go for someone who has proven his ability and his durability a bit more.

Barkley and his shoulder - as I recall, Jim Kelly dropped to late in the 1st because of separation to his throwing shoulder. I know folks don't like USC QBs but the shoulder thing worked in our favor before, dropping a guy's stock just enough we could grab him

Letting both Jones and Nelson go says to me that we're either targeting a specific guy in the 1st round or in FA. The Bills are inept, but not so inept that they would just count on Graham as a #2.

Agreed. It's either they sign a Dwayne Bowe (or, knowing the Bills, it will probably be Brian Hartline) or they draft a WR in the FIRST round. If not, I can't help but think they're tanking 2013.

Because Rob Rang (maybe? and if so, who is he?) felt Smith looked "discouraged" in the loss to K-State, this means he's a soft guy who can't lead? Come on.

We have no idea what was going down on the sideline. Maybe he didn't like the plays being called. Maybe his teammates weren't on the same page. Maybe he was discouraged that his defense couldn't stop a toddler from breaking free for a TD. Maybe he had an injury. Maybe he was pissed at himself. I am not excusing him. I'm just saying that any of these things could be true, and I'm not prepared to take some guy named Rob Rang's word for it when neither he nor I was down on the sideline.

Edit:

To that end, I have seen Brady act like a little f---ing girl on the field and on the sideline, and he is one of the greatest of all time.

I'm with OP.. Our receivers are not very good. Everything gets blamed on Fitz on this silly board. Fitz aint the problem.....not totally. Who's throwing to Stevie ? Yeah...Fitz. Stevie has respectable stats and he is a just above average receiver. A # 2 on most teams.

Give the Harvard grad someone to throw to, that runs the right route and Fitz will be just fine till we find our long term solution.

Doing what the OP says gives the opposing Dee a reason to respect our passing game. Something we lack......and a better opportunity for our running game to rip it up, eat clock and win football games.

There is some merit to this idea. IMHO.

ps...none of us know sh*t about football. We just think we do !!!!

jb

I'm with OP.. Our receivers are not very good. Everything gets blamed on Fitz on this silly board. Fitz aint the problem.....not totally. Who's throwing to Stevie ? Yeah...Fitz. Stevie has respectable stats and he is a just above average receiver. A # 2 on most teams.

Give the Harvard grad someone to throw to, that runs the right route and Fitz will be just fine till we find our long term solution.

Doing what the OP says gives the opposing Dee a reason to respect our passing game. Something we lack......and a better opportunity for our running game to rip it up, eat clock and win football games.

jb

That's not true, there are some very knowledgable people on this board.

have you seen coradelle patterson play? he runs upright and is built like a stalk of prairie grass. no way he lasts in the NFL.

my best receiver is USC's robert woods. doesn't drop a ball, has great dupes and superior yards after catch. would fit perfectly into the Bills offense.

i wouldn't mind it if barkley were still his signal caller but no way the bills get both of them.

Those on the board who realize Fitz is what he is and are tired of it know football.

The rest are living in denial.

Taking nothing but receiving options with your high picks when you have back up talent at QB is not smart....ask Detroit and Matt Millen how that works out.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

A rookie QB gives a coach some leeway. Even if take one in the 2nd and he's a disaster that would leave the door open to take one in 2014. Since Buddy Nix arrived i'm not sure a team has invested less in terms of drafting a QB. Even the Pats took Mallet. Before that they took O'Connell who flamed out. Denver took Osweiler after getting Manning.

jb

I've said this for awhile now. A great QB can make any WR look great. A great WR can't always make any QB look great.

Fitzpatrick is our main problem on offense.

The bills ranked 14th in pts/game in 2011 and 21st this season with fitz. Yes, not great, but hardly worthy of constant ridicule considering the other side of the ball has ranked far worse over the same time.

The bills have had 1 legitimate NFL-caliber WR the past few years.

I know its cool to just piss all over fitzpatrick on this board, but this offense NEEDS more talent at the WR/TE position, regardless if its fitz throwing the ball or a rookie QB.

You may be right. But maybe one of the reasons our QB stunk was because of Donald Jones, Brad Smith and TJ Graham.

Nah...Fitz just sucks...Not saying some of the Bills WR's helped a lot...But overall Fitz is no where near good enough...And I'm no huge TJ Graham fan, but his rookie season would have looked a hell of a lot better had Fitz been able to get him the ball a few times when he was wide open deep... B-)

There seems to be a reasonably strong group of FA WR and TE across the spectrum from "Star" to "Steady mid-pack guy"

I'm in with trying for a first or 2nd round talent at WR, but we better take a shot at a high round QB if there's one we like 1-3rd.

Even if we don't think he's our Kaepernick or our Wilson we need to take a shot at getting our Cousins or Flynn.

I would not be in with Patterson at #8. 1 season, ~ 40 receptions - we already have Marcus Easley, let's go for someone who has proven his oability and his durability a bit more.

Barkley and his shoulder - as I recall, Jim Kelly dropped to late in the 1st because of separation to his throwing shoulder. I know folks don't like USC QBs but the shoulder thing worked in our favor before, dropping a guy's stock just enough we could grab him

I don't remember Kelly dropping to late in round 1.

Matt Flynn and Kirk Cousins are not answers as good starting QBs (or it seems unlikely to me that they are)

I've said this for awhile now. A great QB can make any WR look great. A great WR can't always make any QB look great.

Fitzpatrick is our main problem on offense.

i agree with the latter but disagree with the former.

except for johnson and occasionally chandler the bills receivers were abysmal at getting separation from their defenders this year. and stevie often did a poor job at coming back for balls and challenging the defender for the ball. he started doing better later in the season but was horrible at this early on.

the receivers are a big part of the problem and a great dominating receiver can make a QB look better.

have you seen coradelle patterson play? he runs upright and is built like a stalk of prairie grass. no way he lasts in the NFL.

my best receiver is USC's robert woods. doesn't drop a ball, has great dupes and superior yards after catch. would fit perfectly into the Bills offense.

i wouldn't mind it if barkley were still his signal caller but no way the bills get both of them.

I like woods also. Wood like to see him team up with Barkley.

The Detroit Lions tried that same strategy for a few years in a row, ask Matt Millen how that worked out haha :lol:

unfortunately for the Lions, nothing seems to ever work out. Look at them with Stafford and Johnson. They put up great numbers and Stafford has a great arm, blah blah blah..but yet they're picking before we are. lol. Some franchises are just cursed.