A Few Thoughts About The QB Position And The Bills.....

Bill from NYC

The following, in the same format as my weekly "Thoughts," is not intended to be expert opinion. Through the years, I have been wrong as many times as I have been right wrt qbs, QB is not a position at which I claim any real expertise. I am a better judge of blockers,

For instance, I knew how good Hasselback would be coming out of college. I also thought that RJ would be a superb quarterbck.

That said, here goes.....

1) In terms of free agents, I like Matt Moore a lot more than Alex Smith. Neither is a franchise qb imo. In fact, this is pretty obvious. But Moore is better than Fitz (or so I think), and I see no upside in Smith.

2) The draft? My favorite qb is Tyler Bray. He coud very well be a head case, but his talent makes him worth the risk imo. And, Marrone is fresh out of college. If he is worth a damn, he should be able to handle a young buck such as Bray.

3) I am not high on Tyler Wilson. Why not? Because he isn't a pimple on Ryan Mallet's ass. I hope this is clear.

4) Geno Smith? He will probably be good. But imho he will need a few years to be comparable to Matt Schuab, who I tend to liken him to, at very best, and consider this to be his ceiling.

5) Barkley? Unimpressed. Lots of air under his passes. But, he might be a Brady type. I for one don't see it.

So there you have it. Old timers like me on this site have not been afraid to be "wrong." Does it really matter? In a perfect world, we coukd trade down just a few spots and draft Bray, but do we take a chance? This is a very strange draft imo. I hope to see other opinions and have some fun with this thread.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I'm no expert either. But I was right about Russell Wilson, right about Kaepernick....and I can't remember the rest.

Well, with Bray, you know he can physically get the passes where they need to go as opposed to #14. Now, the thing about him that bugs me is it doesn't seem he made Tennessee any better. I dunno what his stats were other than wins and losses, but the landscape is littered with crap QB who could "make all the throws". I want a guy who DID make all the throws and won some games.

Something about Geno Smith bugs me. I dunno if it's the 9 yard pass to Austin that shows up as a 72 yard TD, his slight frame or his demeanor, but he just doesn't reek of a field general the way Luck, Wilson and RG3 did last year.

I loved Tyler Wilson's interview, but he's the guy with the tiny hands, right?

I think Barkley DOES show up as a General and will be a good pro for the Cardinals.

What about our boy Nassib?

Bray is dumber than a box of rocks. Go check out his combine interview and you'll see what I mean.

Wilson and Manuel have the "it" factor of talent combined with real leadership qualities that make them the only two QBs I see with the possibilities of becoming future top ten NFL QBs. All the other QBs are severely lacking in one of these very important components that make great NFL QBs. If one of these two are there at the second pick the Bills would be stupid to pass on him.

Saying all that, I'd pick Patterson at #8, then either Wilson or Manuel in the 2nd and if neither are there I'd take the TE from Rice, then roll with Travaris Jackson for 2013 with an eye on the 2014 class of QBs. Who knows, with all those weapons Jackson even could take this team to the playoffs.

Still haven't started really studying the QBs yet. I'm still in listening mode and not yet into watching.

In years past, I did like Russell Wilson and Kaepernick. I liked Christian Ponder.

I didn't like Gabbert.

Most of the others I really didn't have an opinion of.

Bill likes studying blockers. I like studying pass rushers. I was very wrong about Everette Brown but I was right about Aldon Smith.

I still believe that Robert Quinn, Nick Perry, and Adrian Branch are going to be premier pass rushers.

I can't believe all the good pass rushers and quarterbacks the Bills have passed on in recent years.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I guess the question for you Bill is: Is Moore really any better than T. Jackson? I never really thought TJ was anything more than an average QB, and I kind of have the same opinion of Moore. But it's not like I know a ton about either one. If Moore isn't a whole lot better, I'd rather just go with TJ/Fitz/rookie and use the FA money on defense or WR.

I guess the question for you Bill is: Is Moore really any better than T. Jackson? I never really thought TJ was anything more than an average QB, and I kind of have the same opinion of Moore. But it's not like I know a ton about either one. If Moore isn't a whole lot better, I'd rather just go with TJ/Fitz/rookie and use the FA money on defense or WR.

Matt Moore's record as an NFL starter is 13-12.

Those teams that Moore started for were a combined 10-29 in the games he didn't start (5-8, 4-7, 1-10, 0-4).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorMa01.htm

I still believe that Robert Quinn, Nick Perry, and Adrian Branch are going to be premier pass rushers.

I can't believe all the good pass rushers and quarterbacks the Bills have passed on in recent years.

Robert Quinn had 10.5 sacks for STL last season. Seems like he's well on his way to being very good.

To Bill's point: Not seeing the QB this year. I do know that not taking one in what appears to be the QB rich years of 2011-12 means you have to come away with one this year, and that usually means the first round.

It remains mystifying why and how the GM missed on so many QB's. They are in the dire predicament today because he failed so repeatedly.

Look at other QB's Jets - hate sanchez want him out, Browns- now do not like Weeden, Jags- want some one else Tennessee- do not like Locker, Texans hate Schaub, Raiders trapped with Carson Palmer, Chiefs- anyone but Cassell. Cowboys- don't want to extend Romo, Eagles- searching, Bears- stuck wit Cutler, Vikings would like to change from Christian Ponder, Tampa Bay- HUGE questions on Freeman, Rams -still waiting on Bradford - year 4 coming up never better than his rookie year, Cardinals - have no one, Chargers- do you believe in Rivers ?, Lions- Stafford great arm he used it to throw the football the most in the league and 334 more times than RG III, Buffalo- anyone other than Fitzpatrick- that is half the league at least looking or questions their QB.

Without getting into the long term success of RGIII or Russel Wilson discussion

then there is Carolina Cam ? big season for him in 2013

Brady will be 36 next year, Manning turns 37 next month

a lot of teams looking and hoping this is why QB's get pushed up the draft board

the last 6 drafts you really have to stretch into liking guys like Josh Freeman at #17 over all. A career passer rating under 80 and a completion percentage at 58 - I would expect and want more.

Weeden 22 last year already done, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder all first round picks that their respective teams would all like to bail on. Bradford in 2010 as pick 1/1 not exactly making the rams think we have our QB the next three qb taken didnt work either Tebow, Claussen, McCoy. Stafford has a great arm, a great wideout, a good wideout and a couple descent pass receiving tight ends but safe to say they are also disappointed 3 years in, Sanchez at the #5 - I think we all agree, then you have your Josh Freeman then Pat White ? 2008 saw Ryan go 3, Flacco 18 try Brohm at 56 or Henne at 57. 2007 JaMarcus Russell 1/1, Brady Quinn another first rounder, Kevin Kolb probably the class of this qb draft with John Beck and Drew Stanton behind him. The point is many more misses than hits and that's counting Luck RGIII and Tannehill in the good pile after 1 year

Edited by CardinalScotts

To Bill's point: Not seeing the QB this year. I do know that not taking one in what appears to be the QB rich years of 2011-12 means you have to come away with one this year, and that usually means the first round.

It remains mystifying why and how the GM missed on so many QB's. They are in the dire predicament today because he failed so repeatedly.

Yeah the Bills have basically backed themselves into a corner both from the perspective of quarterbacks, but also from an overall standpoint.

The goodwill has evaporated and now their margin for error on all fronts is nearly zero.

Now they have to try to make a high percentage of correct decisions while under very heavy organizational duress.

It's sad that in a league engineered for parity that it's come to this.

Marrone and company have a very difficult task ahead.

I agree about Matt Moore.

I thought it was funny when Bills fans criticized the Dolphins QB Situation last offseason because I always thought Matt Moore was clearly a better QB than Ryan Fitzpatrick. I would be all for picking him up while grooming a rookie QB if that particular QB is not ready to start the season.

Honestly, I don't know much about the QBs in the draft this year but from what I've heard it is the worst QB Class in quite a while.(Of course this happens when OBD seems to have finally realized we need a QB)

We need a Quarterback early in this draft, I just hope they don't reach for one....

I don't think it is the worst QB class by any stretch...It is simply that the talking heads don't see a "Blue Chip" player in this draft like a Andrew Luck. However, I actually think there are good QBs in this draft and is a very deep draft that you can find the similar caliber QB in Round 3 to 5. The Bills should pick Barkley in Rd 1 and if he is not available should pick a stud LB or WR and then pick their franchise QB in the 2nd or 3rd and may be another QB in Rd 5.

The solution is to draft more than one qb a year until one that can actually play is found. No qb, no bueno.

+1

Matt Moore's record as an NFL starter is 13-12.

Those teams that Moore started for were a combined 10-29 in the games he didn't start (5-8, 4-7, 1-10, 0-4).

http://www.pro-footb.../M/MoorMa01.htm

I am on the Matt Moore bandwagon too. He is a better player than Fitzpatrick.