Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

JPS

It wasn't garbage time. Check again.

Also, yes, I do like him.

And, Desean Jackson is who I'd compare him to. Same size, similar speed and dynamism. Desean jackson has played 5 seasons, last year was the only year where he was injured and only played about 2/3 of the season. In the other 4 seasons, he's had two 1000 yard seasons and the other two were over 900 yards.

I was waiting for you to say this. Desean has gone down hill since Vick's first year.

Good luck with your man crush

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do not understand the disdain that some have for Austin. He is small, so is Wes Welker, Percy Harvin and Desean Jackson. He has never been hurt and can score from anywhere on the field. IF the Bills were to take him they would create some matchup nightmares for opposing defenses. Speed kills and the Bills would have an abundance of it. I am not just talking James Jett straight line speed but guys that can make moves and accelerate.

I was waiting for you to say this. Desean has gone down hill since Vick's first year.

Good luck with your man crush

Exactly...

I keep hearing these names...Welker, Jackson, Sproles, etc, compared to Austin...And here is the single thing these Austin at #8 fans are completely ignoring...

Welker - Undrafted FA

Jackson - 2nd Round - #49 overall

Sproles - 4th Round - #130

I don't think anyone on this board is saying that Austin cannot become a very good NFL player...He can, and players who are basically his size have done well...But those players are VERY rare in the NFL...VERY rare...And that's why it's a tremendous gamble to take a player his size at #8 overall...And if there is one team that absolutely cannot afford to gamble on any position outside of QB, it's the Buffalo Bills...Especially when you are considering a player that is way...and I mean WAY out of the desired height/weight for his position...It's not smart Drafting...Taking Austin at #8 would be stupid, and that's not even saying he won't succeed...He may...they may get lucky...But it's absolutely not worth the risk...Not for this team...And not now... B-)

I really do not understand the disdain that some have for Austin. He is small, so is Wes Welker, Percy Harvin and Desean Jackson. He has never been hurt and can score from anywhere on the field. IF the Bills were to take him they would create some matchup nightmares for opposing defenses. Speed kills and the Bills would have an abundance of it. I am not just talking James Jett straight line speed but guys that can make moves and accelerate.

Percy Harvin was 5-11-192 at his Combine...He's no where near Austin's size...Desean Jackson is two inches taller than Austin...Welker is close to Austin's size... B-)

Exactly...

I keep hearing these names...Welker, Jackson, Sproles, etc, compared to Austin...And here is the single thing these Austin at #8 fans are completely ignoring...

Welker - Undrafted FA

I don't think anyone on this board is saying that Austin cannot become a very good NFL player...He can, and players who are basically his size have done well...But those players are VERY rare in the NFL...VERY rare...And that's why it's a tremendous gamble to take a player his size at #8 overall...And if there is one team that absolutely cannot afford to gamble on any position outside of QB, it's the Buffalo Bills...Especially when you are considering a player that is way...and I mean WAY out of the desired height/weight for his position...It's not smart Drafting...Taking Austin at #8 would be stupid, and that's not even saying he won't succeed...He may...they may get lucky...But it's absolutely not worth the risk...Not for this team...And not now... B-)

Percy Harvin was 5-11-192 at his Combine...He's no where near Austin's size...Desean Jackson is two inches taller than Austin...Welker is close to Austin's size... B-)

The one thing that he has though is incredible production and consistency. He is not someone like Mingo or Ansah that have skills but no production. Austin has top end skills and top end production. I don't see it as a risk based on anything besides for his size.

Exactly...

Welker - Undrafted FA

All I gotta say to this is that he is a "rare" sort of player.

B-)

B-)

B-)

I think someone's gonna trade up ahead of us and nab Austin. That'll ruin us....so it has to happen. He is the key to our draft and trading down. Pray that he's on the board when we pick. I don't think he will

So only 6' 6" guys can get drafted in the First Round ?

In another sport let's not forget little 5' 10" Mike Tyson having his way with some much bigger guys.

Actually I wonder whether Iron Mike wants to try out for our vacant Guard position.

Exactly...

Welker - Undrafted FA

And not Steve Smith??? Of all players I'd say Smith is the most similar to Tavon.

You'd think there wouldn't be a need to make any argument against drafting Roscoe Parrish 2.0 at #8, but there ya go.

Other than the fact he is not Roscoe Parrish 2.0...but if you want to make a lazy argument...

Bills WOF WR Steve Tasker only 5' 9". Multi talented and highly skilled performer. One of my all time favorite Bills. His son Luke is in the draft this year. However I'm going for Tavon rather than Luke.

And not Steve Smith??? Of all players I'd say Smith is the most similar to Tavon.

Steve Smith - Round 3 - #74 overall...

Smith is 5-9 and close to 200 lbs though...And knowing Smith pretty well (I lived in Charlotte for 20 years) I can tell you Smith is a bad, bad, man...He's tougher than steel...His desire and intangibles are absolutely off-the-charts...He's also had his share of injuries over the years...And like I said, there is no tougher dude in the NFL than Steve Smith...

So size-wise he's kind of close to Austin...All the rest though I'm not so sure... B-)

Does it matter where Smith was drafted though? As been argued here many times relative to the QB situation, if you like a guy you take him, regardless of where he should go.

In hindsight, could a justification be made for taking Smith at 8?

Does it matter where Smith was drafted though? As been argued here many times relative to the QB situation, if you like a guy you take him, regardless of where he should go.

In hindsight, could a justification be made for taking Smith at 8?

It absolutely matters...You know how many Steve Smith's are in the NFL? One...That's it...The chances that Austin will be the next Steve Smith, Wes Welker, or even Desean Jackson are remote because players that size generally do not live up to a #8 overall status...That's exactly why they were Drafted where they were Drafted...It's risk vs reward...And if Austin ends up like most 5-8-172 NFL WR's you'll be wishing like hell the Bills did not Draft him at #8 overall...I promise you that much... B-)

It absolutely matters...You know how many Steve Smith's are in the NFL? One...That's it...The chances that Austin will be the next Steve Smith, Wes Welker, or even Desean Jackson are remote because players that size generally do not live up to a #8 overall status...That's exactly why they were Drafted where they were Drafted...It's risk vs reward...And if Austin ends up like most 5-8-172 NFL WR's you'll be wishing like hell the Bills did not Draft him at #8 overall...I promise you that much... B-)

Understood. However, based on the gift of hindsight, could a justification be made for taking Smith at 8?

No 5'8 172 pound WR has ever had his skill set. He's a tremendous talent IMO.

Understood. However, based on the gift of hindsight, could a justification be made for taking Smith at 8?

Well...I'm a huge Steve Smith fan so...Probably, yes...

But there is no way I'm going to assume Austin can be half the NFL WR that Smith has been...Players like Smith and Welker are so, so rare...I would never gamble with #8 overall on a WR that small...Especially for the Bills right now...No way... B-)

No 5'8 172 pound WR has ever had his skill set. He's a tremendous talent IMO.

We'll see how it translates in the NFL...It's still a massive unknown IMHO...

I don't dislike Austin as a player at all...I'm just saying regardless of what he did in College it's a HUGE risk in the Top 10...I just don't see the logic for the Bills taking a player like that right now...Could it pan out well? Sure it can...But the odds are not good... B-)

Well...I'm a huge Steve Smith fan so...Probably, yes...

Fair enough. I am too, and I agree. Like you, I also have concerns about Austin's size. If anyone is going to buck the odds, I feel like it's going to be him. In a strange way, the guy reminds me of Allen Iverson (high school aside). That said, if someone offers up a trade to take him at 8, I say make the deal and grab the extra picks. Go Bills!