Pro Action vs Reaction

T master

This year it seems as though no matter where you turn there is an article that states

WE GOT TO DRAFT A QB THIS YEAR !!! :worthy:

I just hope that the Bills brass has learned something from jumping to fast in our recent past. We all make mistakes but the thing is if you learn something, anything from that mistake then it wasn't a total lose or waste of time.

I hope the same people that thought there was such a urgency to get Fitz under a new contract as a reaction to his 5 game winning streak have more patience or are more Pro active in respect to the drafting of a QB this year than he or they did before they so hurriedly put pen to paper to sign our QB of the future in Fitz. :doh:

If they use the same thought process they did in the past & react to our situation at QB we will draft a QB at #8 & will be paying him to much money for what production we will get & we will be choosing a player way to high, once again missing on another impact player that could be at #8 like we did when they wiffed on Orapko, Nata, & Mathews...

But there again there is the Brady factor ? Which should also prove unless there is a Luck or RG3 coming out WAIT & choose a good prospect later !

I don't have any problem with grabbing a QB this year but the first round isn't the place to get one. We need a high impact player, a player that can be on the field this year & make a difference. LB, is in my eyes is one of our biggest if not the biggest concern this year & there are a lot of good defensive players coming out this year...

We can pick up a QB to develop in the later rounds like Nassib, Bray. I don't think there will be a huge run on QB's this year in the early rounds, if they had learned anything at all from last year there will be some good prospects left in the later rounds !!

We can only hope that Pro action wins out over Reaction in our draft room this year !! :thumbsup:

OK Bills fans chew me up !!

Too tired....can't be bothered.

Riddle me this. Aside from Tom Brady(and Russell Wilson who is too early to fully rate)......name one QB who was selected past the #36 draft spot who can be considered a great QB?

Go back as many years as you want.

Riddle me this. Aside from Tom Brady(and Russell Wilson who is too early to fully rate)......name one QB who was selected past the #36 draft spot who can be considered a great QB?

Joe Montana. Arguably the 2 greatest QBs in the history of the game were drafted outside of the first 2 rounds.

Also.. Fran Tarketon, Warren Moon, Johnny Unitas to name a few more

Edited by Billsrhody

JIMMY CLAUSEN!!!!! Ummmmm wait..****...(O.O)?

Joe Montana. Arguably the 2 greatest QBs in the history of the game were drafted outside of the first 2 rounds.

1979 Joe Montana

Now we have 2 great QBs drafted outside of the top 36 spots in 34 years.

Anybody like those odds?

You asked for it :nana:

But there again there is the Brady factor ? Which should also prove unless there is a Luck or RG3 coming out WAIT & choose a good prospect later !

:wacko: What?

But in all seriousness, I agree with your general premise, which I believe is to not reach for a QB at #8. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that Bills are absolutely going down that path, so I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. However, I do expect the Bills to draft a QB between rounds 2-4, and would encourage them to do so.

Kurt Warner....undrafted.

Undrafted means that they were not drafted. They don't count.

How does that make sense? We're arguing that there is QB talent outside of the #36 pick.. if someone went undrafted they fit the bill. We've named 6 top 15 QBs in the history of the league that weren't drafted in the first 36 picks. You dont think that counts for anything?

How does that make sense? We're arguing that there is QB talent outside of the #36 pick.. if someone went undrafted they fit the bill. We've named 6 top 15 QBs in the history of the league that weren't drafted in the first 36 picks. You dont think that counts for anything?

The reason is that you can quantify the number of QBs drafted. You can say there were 2 out of 324, for example.....and achieve a realistic look at the percentage chance of success when selecting a QB outside the #36 slot.

How do you quantify all of the QBs that were undrafted in order to figure that the chance of success outside of the draft is even more ridiculously small compared to outside the top #36?

The point of original comment was to show that it actually is a ridiculously small chance to find your "franchise QB" outside the #36 slot......and to reasonably suggest otherwise is misguided.

Edited by Dibs

The reason is that you can quantify the number of QBs drafted. You can say there were 2 out of 324, for example.....and achieve a realistic look at the percentage chance of success when selecting a QB outside the #36 slot.

How do you quantify all of the QBs that were undrafted in order to figure that the chance of success outside of the draft is even more ridiculously small compared to outside the top #36?

The point of original comment was to show that it actually is a ridiculously small chance to find your "franchise QB" outside the #36 slot......and to reasonably suggest otherwise is misguided.

You make it sound like it is relatively easy to find a "great QB" inside of the first 36 picks, which is not the case. Sure, there is a better chance of finding a talented QB in the first round, but that doesnt mean you shouldnt try to find talent in the later rounds.

The fact is, its hard to find a franchise QB anywhere in the draft. We shouldnt limit ourselves to one round.

You make it sound like it is relatively easy to find a "great QB" inside of the first 36 picks, which is not the case. Sure, there is a better chance of finding a talented QB in the first round, but that doesnt mean you shouldnt try to find talent in the later rounds.

The fact is, its hard to find a franchise QB anywhere in the draft. We shouldnt limit ourselves to one round.

That was not my intent at all. I know just how hard it is to find a "great QB" inside the first 36 picks.....and the odds are not good.

The odds outside of that however are extraordinarily bad. They are so bad that they should discount any thought of using them in one's plan to try to obtain said "great QB".

If you are interested.....and I've linked this so many times that I am starting to feel like I am pimping my own thread....but....here is some research I did regarding the success rate of QBs drafted showing the percentage chance breakdowns over a 20 year period.

http://forums.twobil...b/#entry2712778

(Reading through the thread will further highlight certain factors/concepts).

Edited by Dibs

This year it seems as though no matter where you turn there is an article that states

WE GOT TO DRAFT A QB THIS YEAR !!! :worthy:

I just hope that the Bills brass has learned something from jumping to fast in our recent past. We all make mistakes but the thing is if you learn something, anything from that mistake then it wasn't a total lose or waste of time.

I hope the same people that thought there was such a urgency to get Fitz under a new contract as a reaction to his 5 game winning streak have more patience or are more Pro active in respect to the drafting of a QB this year than he or they did before they so hurriedly put pen to paper to sign our QB of the future in Fitz. :doh:

If they use the same thought process they did in the past & react to our situation at QB we will draft a QB at #8 & will be paying him to much money for what production we will get & we will be choosing a player way to high, once again missing on another impact player that could be at #8 like we did when they wiffed on Orapko, Nata, & Mathews...

I don't have any problem with grabbing a QB this year but the first round isn't the place to get one. We need a high impact player, a player that can be on the field this year & make a difference. LB, is in my eyes is one of our biggest if not the biggest concern this year & there are a lot of good defensive players coming out this year...

We can pick up a QB to develop in the later rounds like Nassib, Bray. I don't think there will be a huge run on QB's this year in the early rounds, if they had learned anything at all from last year there will be some good prospects left in the later rounds !!

We can only hope that Pro action wins out over Reaction in our draft room this year !! :thumbsup:

You might want to look up the definition of proactive.

Really Good QBs go high in the first round but that doesn't mean that if you take a QB with 3rd-5th round talent in the first round that you have helped yourself- IMO there is one QB who has good odds of being a better than average NFL QB (Geno Smith) and I'm not talking Brady, Rodgers, Manning good I'm talking Romo, Flacco, Schaub good.

I love the offseason discussion on TSW, but does every thread have to be about the same exact thing, so every poster can post the same thing they posted in the 30 other threads?

I think it's like a "I want everyone to read what I said, so I'll start a new thread" thing.