QB Talk

thewildrabbit

Tyler Bray isn't unusally accurate. The only thing they have in common is they are both tall and have strong arms.

I thought we established that Tyler Bray is only 5'6" tall?

Glennon was compared most with Flacco.

Although to the eye and based on the scouting report in this thread, Glennon is skinnier than Flacco.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every other Qb in this draft is gonna be compared to Flacco.

And that's the flaw...I'd rather our new QB be compared to the playoff QB's rather than just the SB winning QB. Obviously the playoff QB's have a winning team, as many have pointed out here ad nauseum, but the question is, can you put "Player A" on a team and expect a similar result? Or does "Player A" elevate his team to make them what they are? I'd certainly say Flacco fit that bill in the SB run, but I'd also submit that Kaepernick, Rodgers, RG III, Luck, etc. were equally important to getting their teams to the prize. So, can any of these rookie QB's do that? I'm not so sure.

Also, don't discount the system QB's will play in. Flacco lit it up once they dumped Cam Cameron because Caldwell called for deeper routes which played to Flacco's strength. The Redskins changed their entire offense to play to RG III's strengths. Heck, the Bills even got rid of the deep ball because Fitz is simply incapable of completing it.

I hope our next QB has the physical tools to win, but I also hope he has the intangibles and leadership qualities to win. I don't know a lot about the QB's coming out (yet), but I do know that I see zero fire from Landry Jones and I like what EJ Manuel brings to the table. How these guys do as pros remains to be seen.

Mike Mayock's top 5 players (pre combine) at each position.

Quarterback

1. Geno Smith, West Virginia

2. Matt Barkley, USC

3. Mike Glennon, NC State

4. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse

5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma

http://www.nfl.com/d...-2013-nfl-draft

Todd McShay

“I’ll be totally honest, I gave them a quarterback just because it didn’t feel right to finish a whole first round and not have one,” McShay said. “Listen, I like Ryan Nassib a lot. I think he has a chance to develop into a great backup and there’s an outside chance he can become a solid starter. But to use the eighth overall pick on Ryan Nassib, I think, would be a big mistake.”

http://www.buffalone...ills-drive-1003

I don't see Nassib making it to the Bills in round two either. Not when so many teams are looking to upgrade the QB position. Only the Lions are set at QB so that leave 7 teams that might want a QB this year.

Mike Mayock:

"On the uneven quarterback class: "Over the last several years, we've had defined quarterback play at the top, and we still talk about them ad nauseam. Everybody laughed at me last year at this time. I was trying to tell people Ryan Tannehill was not only going to be a first-round pick, but he might be a top 10 guy. And that's what happens with these quarterbacks. And I don't know who the best quarterback is yet, and I don't know if there's a first-round quarterback. Yet I hear all these people talk about Geno Smith going No. 1. So I'm fascinated. This is going to be, by far, the most confusing quarterback draft we've had in years."

On this year's hidden gem at QB: "I don't have him. I don't have him. And mean, trust me, I'm looking for him."

http://www.nfl.com/n...arterback-draft

Jeez, is anyone else happy that the SB is over, along with all the media coverage that goes with it is finally starting to go away. So we can talk combine and the upcoming draft. The combine is Feb 23rd thru the 26th

Edited by FeartheLosing

The more I think about it. The one thing that never changes in the nfl is a qb that can stretch the field and make "all of the throws". In a year when every qb had flaws I wound want to draft one of the two bigger arms ( Glennon or Bret) and work on their flaws.

I think Geno Smith has plenty of arm. Glennon's and Bray's are superior, but I don't think it's Smith's arm that has held him back.

The more i watch i think thats my pick this year , the kid has a big arm & moves in the pocket really well ..

Watch him in the S Carolina game last year !!

There is a lot about Bray to like...And a lot to worry about as well...One of the things that was never questioned about Flacco was his determination to be as good as he can possibly be...It helped him get Drafted higher than a lot of scouts thought he would directly after his Sr year...

I will say this...Of all the QB tape I've watched so far (and I have watched a bit) it seemed to me that Bray had more on-the-money dropped balls than the rest...I could certainly be wrong about that...I was not actually counting...But it just seemed to me that those ultra-talented Tennessee WR's dropped a ton of catch-able balls... B-)

Depending on what scouting report you read Bray's accuracy is very good on the deep ball and better then Ryan Mallett when he scrambles. A lot of talk about his accuracy issues have to deal with his footwork and sometimes slinging sidearm delivery. So yea, he will need to be developed properly on a running team just like Flacco was. The kid reminds me of Jay Cutler with that arm of his.

From watching some of his college play, his wideouts dropped quite a few passes on him IMO. Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson ranked the #2 WR overall, and graded as a first round pick. Along with Tenn WR Justin Hunter ranked the 10th WR but still a 2nd round pick, are both in this years draft class. Plus his TE is leaving. Interesting to hear if Bray didn't finish his senior year at Tenn because his WR's left or because his HC is gone and Tenn has an entire new coaching staff.

At this point I can't wait to listen to what Mike Mayock has to say about this years draft class.

"As mentioned, his arm strength is great and one of his best assets. Delivers the football with high velocity and has a snappy, compact throwing motion. Accuracy is also very good whether it is a short or long pass. "

http://www.fftoolbox...rospect_id=3536

You like this?

There is a lot about Bray to like...And a lot to worry about as well...One of the things that was never questioned about Flacco was his determination to be as good as he can possibly be...It helped him get Drafted higher than a lot of scouts thought he would directly after his Sr year...

I will say this...Of all the QB tape I've watched so far (and I have watched a bit) it seemed to me that Bray had more on-the-money dropped balls than the rest...I could certainly be wrong about that...I was not actually counting...But it just seemed to me that those ultra-talented Tennessee WR's dropped a ton of catch-able balls... B-)

Go watch Zac Dyserts dropped balls.

And why not! After all he was the SB Winning QB.

I mean every blogger/scout/expert is going to be saying things like "this kids delivery reminds me of Joe Flacco", or "he is tall, with a presence in the pocket that is very much like Joe Flacco", "he makes reads in a similar fashion to Joe Flacco", "his hand offs have a distinct Flacco-ness to them", to describe 3/4's of QB's in the draft.

In other words, it doesn't mean much, because they are looking for ways to work Flacco's name into the analysis.

Go watch Zac Dyserts dropped balls.

Bray, Dysert, and Nassib all appeared to have lots of dropped passes.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Yea, like at 9:38 in that Florida game. That Gator team went 11-1 BTW. The Vols went 5-7 and the HC was fired. Just sayin...

Want to know why the Vols were so bad this year? They did have a decent QB and WR corps but...

"The Vols briefly entered the Top 25 after winning their first two games, but they've lost seven of nine since. Their defense has allowed 37.4 points and 476.8 yards per game to rank statistically among the worst in school history."

ex Tennessee HC Derek Dooley: "Among Tennessee coaches to last at least three seasons, Derek Dooley has the worst win percentage (.417) in school history. No Vols coach has departed with even a sub-.500 mark since 1935."

http://espn.go.com/c...-another-season

Mike Mayock:

» Wide receiver:

It's no surprise that Cordarrelle Patterson tops the list, as Mayock has stated that his jaw dropped when he put on the Tennessee film and saw the game-breaking wideout making plays all over the field.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139747/article/mayock-flips-the-script-on-defensive-stars

I like Bray and think if given some time to develop that he could be a very good NFL QB much like Jay Cutler. However, I'm not an expert and like I stated earlier in this thread, I can't wait to hear what Mayock has to say on some of these players!

Edited by FeartheLosing

I really like the way he throws the ball, but Tyler Bray is an immature fool. Maybe you don't think it will matter, or that he will grow up, but I think having millions in his pocket as a reward despite his foolishness, will do nothing for his personal development. There have been plenty of jerks that have been successful, but something tells me this guy http://florida.mugsh...-bray-mug-shot/ has more in common with Ryan Leaf, than say, Jim Kelly (a guy that had some "growing pains").

hard to say but he is worth a shot, if pans out he will be awesome and if not you move and keep trying to get the right QB, which has been something this Franchise has neglected to do.

Just getting one guy and pinning all your hopes on him is foolish because if he flops you are out another 3 years trying find another one. We to draft one every year till we get the "guy" and then the others will be quality backups or good trades that will bring in valuable picks. QB are investments that can reap dividends beyond the playing field and is why Green Bay and Phily do well and get draft choices from their QBs.

Wow I can't believe Tyler Bray grew 6 inches in 5 months. If your going to use a mugshot to support your belief, make sure it's the same guy.

and that isn't his face, obviously someone with the same name.

The more i watch i think thats my pick this year , the kid has a big arm & moves in the pocket really well ..

Watch him in the S Carolina game last year !!

Saw that game live, it's what sold me on him.

Every other Qb in this draft is gonna be compared to Flacco.

um, no

hard to say but he is worth a shot, if pans out he will be awesome and if not you move and keep trying to get the right QB, which has been something this Franchise has neglected to do.

Just getting one guy and pinning all your hopes on him is foolish because if he flops you are out another 3 years trying find another one. We to draft one every year till we get the "guy" and then the others will be quality backups or good trades that will bring in valuable picks. QB are investments that can reap dividends beyond the playing field and is why Green Bay and Phily do well and get draft choices from their QBs.

Agreed, there are guys worth a "shot" in round 2 at the 10th pick. I also agree that they should pick a QB relatively early every year until they find a good one.

I am just VERY skeptical that there is a good starting NFL QB in this draft. Of the QBs, I look at Nassib, Wilson, Glennon, and Manuel as possible round 2 picks. There may be others, such as Bray, but I would shy away from QB at 8. One analyst that I follow (Russ Lande) does think that Nassib is worth a round 1 pick.