I think we should draft another QB

I suppose I ought to entitle this post, "Why I'm not an NFL GM," but I think it'll speak for itself. Here are my assumptions:

1) Bledsoe is done. If you disagree with this, move on - you won't like the rest of what I say.

2) QB is the most important position on the team. I know there is some hearty disagreement about this here - I think it's debatable, here are my reasons though: your QB determines the relative value of the rest of your team. For example, if your QB is immoble, your interior line becomes way more valuable, and if your guards/center get injured, you're toast. If your QB can't stretch the field, you need some seriously good receivers and TEs who can create separation underneath. If your QB can light it up against anyone, your D becomes less valuable, etc. etc.

3) QBs are a crapshoot. JPL has about a 1 in 5 chance in really, really succeeding.

4) There are no vet QBs in this year's free agent market that we would realistically sign or that would be an upgrade over Drew. Drew Brees ain't gonna sign here - why would he? The Chargers can pay him more, and he's been successful there.

Given 1-4 above, especially #2, I think if I were Donahoe I'd hedge my JPL bet by drafting yet another QB in this year's draft. Mind you, not with my first pick, but certainly on the first day. And, to further hedge my bet, I'd take someone who is somehwat different from Losman - someone who is known more for "intangibles," who was used to winning in college, who is tough, hard-nosed, wellspoken, a team leader, a tough warrior, etc. Someone who is undervalued by the "experts" and should be around when the Bills pick in the 3rd round. A Tom Brady type, who can at least push JPL to get his act together and memorize the playbook, and who can be dealt later on if he doesn't become The Guy. Who, you ask, is that person? Well, it should be obvious:

JASON CAMPBELL, QB, AUBURN.

Unorthodox, I know. But it's too important a position to put all your chips in on one guy. Just my opinion. I'd draft a guard with the first pick, then Campbell with the next pick. Campbell has all the intangibles - and I think he'll be a player in this league. I also think taking him will send the right message to JPL.

I don't expect a single person here to agree with me... flame away.

I suppose I ought to entitle this post, "Why I'm not an NFL GM," but I think it'll speak for itself.  Here are my assumptions:

1) Bledsoe is done.  If you disagree with this, move on - you won't like the rest of what I say.

2) QB is the most important position on the team.  I know there is some hearty disagreement about this here - I think it's debatable, here are my reasons though:  your QB determines the relative value of the rest of your team.  For example, if your QB is immoble, your interior line becomes way more valuable, and if your guards/center get injured, you're toast.  If your QB can't stretch the field, you need some seriously good receivers and TEs who can create separation underneath.  If your QB can light it up against anyone, your D becomes less valuable, etc. etc.

3) QBs are a crapshoot.  JPL has about a 1 in 5 chance in really, really succeeding.

4) There are no vet QBs in this year's free agent market that we would realistically sign or that would be an upgrade over Drew.  Drew Brees ain't gonna sign here - why would he?  The Chargers can pay him more, and he's been successful there. 

Given 1-4 above, especially #2, I think if I were Donahoe I'd hedge my JPL bet by drafting yet another QB in this year's draft.  Mind you, not with my first pick, but certainly on the first day.  And, to further hedge my bet, I'd take someone who is somehwat different from Losman - someone who is known more for "intangibles," who was used to winning in college, who is tough, hard-nosed, wellspoken, a team leader, a tough warrior, etc.  Someone who is undervalued by the "experts" and should be around when the Bills pick in the 3rd round.  A Tom Brady type, who can at least push JPL to get his act together and memorize the playbook, and who can be dealt later on if he doesn't become The Guy.  Who, you ask, is that person?  Well, it should be obvious:

JASON CAMPBELL, QB, AUBURN.

Unorthodox, I know.  But it's too important a position to put all your chips in on one guy.  Just my opinion.  I'd draft a guard with the first pick, then Campbell with the next pick.  Campbell has all the intangibles - and I think he'll be a player in this league.  I also think taking him will send the right message to JPL.

I don't expect a single person here to agree with me... flame away.

196539[/snapback]

If Bledsoe isn't on the roster in '05 the Bills will certainly need another QB. Shane Matthews is going to retire, and that would leave the BIlls with only JP.

Faced with that scenario, drafting another QB would be fine, so long as you are not counting on that guy to be your No.2. An expierenced Vet would be the way to go in terms of backing up JP. And I think there are plenty in the FA pool to choose from to be a No.2 on the roster. Thus, using a 3rd rounder on a QB would not be wise in my opinion. Maybe a 6th or 7th or an UDFA.

All that aside, Drew will be on the roster in '05 (I'm not a crusader or an appologist, just a realist) so this would be moot I think.

Even if he is - I'd still do it.

196546[/snapback]

I wouldn't be adverse to drafting another QB. I see what you are saying, but taking one any higher than the 6th round would be a bad move IMO, especially considering the Bills only have 6 picks this year.

The problem with the argument is that JP WILL be our quarterback if not next year, the year after. The money we are paying him, he has to get his chance even if he is not (and wont be) ready.

Is there ANY first round quarterback in the past 10 years who has not started at least one season?

Since JP will be our quarterback, the only way another guy gets in there is if JP gets hurt. In the event he gets hurt, and we are in the midst of a playoff run, I would much rather have a Bledsoe or matthews type (established vet) coming off the bench instead of hoping an unestablished rookie will turn into the next Brady.

I guess I wouldnt be opposed to a Bledsoe/Losman/Random Rookie lineup for next year, but unless random rookie shows signs of being a #2, we need to keep Bledsoe or some other established vet as a #2 incase JP goes down.

I agree Bledsoe is done. But I also think that we have to assume he is our QB next season. This has been the plan for a while. JP was never supposed to start this season, and ever since the draft people have been saying he is a project who will take a few years to develop.

If nothing else, this team proved it can win DISPITE drew bledsoe. That is a promising thing. With the young core of McGahee/Losman/Evans/Euhus this team has a strong future ahead of it. No need to rush losman IMO.

Prediction: Drew will start in 2005-06

3) QBs are a crapshoot.  JPL has about a 1 in 5 chance in really, really succeeding.

So, if we draft another QB, that will leave us with a 2 in 5 chance that one of them will work out? :blink:

(yes i know, technically it's more like a 36% chance.....)

We need another journeyman...

196551[/snapback]

Why? Why would you rather have some old vet than a rookie QB? A rookie QB will be cheaper and will have a bigger upside. Let's be honest - if we get to the point in the season that it's time for Shane Matthews/Vinny/Kitna/Jonathan Quinn to play, we're DONE - might as well turn the reigns over to a young guy with upside and let him develop.

Why?  Why would you rather have some old vet than a rookie QB?  A rookie QB will be cheaper and will have a bigger upside.  Let's be honest - if we get to the point in the season that it's time for Shane Matthews/Vinny/Kitna/Jonathan Quinn to play, we're DONE - might as well turn the reigns over to a young guy with upside and let him develop.

196574[/snapback]

Why would I rather have some old vet? Because we already have an untested rookie.

I know, we have Bledsoe too. But to me, Bledsoe needs a PERFECT offense to strive. That isn't going to happen ANYWHERE (minus this season's Colts). Anyway, that being said, and with Matthews retiring, you want two rookies?

I am agreing that JP is not the man THIS year, but 2006, he SHOULD be.

So, until then, sign a journeyman to 1 year. Why would you want two rookies? How would that help either one develop?

I am agreing that JP is not the man THIS year, but 2006, he SHOULD be.

196577[/snapback]

I'm not saying JP isn't the man next year - at all. I'm saying, maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but let's hedge our bets either way. If JP works out, great - trade the other guy, a la Jake Delhomme/JT O'Sullivan/AJ Feeley (there have been many others). If JP struggles, give the other guy a shot (and possibly trade JP). If they both bust - hey, we tried (and maybe we need a new GM).

BTW - I'm interested to know what people here think about the guy I want, Jason Campbell. I love him. (I mean, I think he's a great football player.)

I'm not saying JP isn't the man next year - at all.  I'm saying, maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but let's hedge our bets either way.  If JP works out, great - trade the other guy, a la Jake Delhomme/JT O'Sullivan/AJ Feeley (there have been many others).  If JP struggles, give the other guy a shot (and possibly trade JP).  If they both bust - hey, we tried (and maybe we need a new GM).

196580[/snapback]

So you think, after he wouldn't take Bledsoe out after starting 2-6, that old whitey would start the season with JP, and if he struggled (remember, JP, his first round draft pick), he would put in yet ANOTHER rookie?

Sounds good in theory, but it would NEVER, EVER happen.

So you think, after he wouldn't take Bledsoe out after starting 2-6, that old whitey would start the season with JP, and if he struggled (remember, JP, his first round draft pick), he would put in yet ANOTHER rookie?

Sounds good in theory, but it would NEVER, EVER happen.

196581[/snapback]

Read the article on the front of TBD right now - Donahoe is sick and tired of Bledsoe making him look like an ass.

Also - you're right, of course, it's unorthodox, and not likely to happen. Just my own GM fantasy.

Read the article on the front of TBD right now - Donahoe is sick and tired of Bledsoe making him look like an ass. 

Also - you're right, of course, it's unorthodox, and not likely to happen.  Just my own GM fantasy.

196582[/snapback]

If TD is so sick and tired of Bledsoe or his job or standing in the NFL is so bruised by the Bills failure to make the playoffs in his tenure, why do you think that any rookie who will be behind another young QB in terms of development time or attention is going to deliver anything to TD on a timeline that fits his nees or him still having the job.

We will almost certainly have to get another QB to replace Matthews who may retire or will probably get the boot, but the Bills seem far more likely to get an old vet who had failed previously like Kordell and Maddox did who Clements/MM revive rather than find a rookie to pull a RoboQB (Jason Campbell or otherwise).

Nice thought. Maybe we don't get one in the Draft - but I'd be definately looking closely at the draft class of QB's and some of the guys in the CFL for depth at that position regardless of whether Drew Stays or not.

I am sure that we'll see Greg Zolman around again, probably for NFLE duty, so we do have an option there. But another rookie QB from the late rounds is certainly appealing.

Nice post Coach. It all seems logical. I think the Bills braintrust will feel they have to use the higher picks to plug existing holes.

Tell me, is it true that Losman does not know the complete playbook yet? I hadn't read that anywhere and I find it unbelievable that a man that wants to be starting QB hasn't got it down cold.

GO BILLS!

Nice post Coach. It all seems logical. I think the Bills braintrust will feel they have to use the higher picks to plug existing holes.

Tell me, is it true that Losman does not know the complete playbook yet? I hadn't read that anywhere and I find it unbelievable that a man that wants to be starting QB hasn't got it down cold.

GO BILLS!

196679[/snapback]

some people have an in on all the info. :blink::blink: