Southwest Airlines

dib

My daughter and her fiancee' were delayed (by SW) getting to their connection in Houston. Subsequently they missed their flight to Oklahoma City. They were told there were no more flights to OK City. They had to rent a car and drive 8 hours to get home. SW didnt offer so much as a toothbrush. They were told, basically "Hey, you decided to get on the airplane in Ft. Lauderdale- tough cookies" Great customer service. You may want to consider this situation in your future travel plans.

Interesting. Im fearing the take over of Airtran by Southwest. Airtrain is based here in Atlanta and has been GREAT to me over the past decade. To the point that I dont like flying any other airline. Their service is usually on time, and their customer service has always been outstanding. One example: my flight landed on time, but we had to wait for 45 minutes to get a gate. 2 weeks later, I received a letter from Airtran saying they were giving me a free one-way flight to make up for it. I hadnt even sent in a complaint letter or anything.

Southwest seems to be a little more "Wild West" with their no seat assignments and junk. As someone who regularly took advantage of Airtrans cheap upgrade to business class, this scares me as well.

My pipedream is that something like this will actually happen in my lifetime and make my life 100x easier... http://i.imgur.com/Ey1362j.png

My daughter and her fiancee' were delayed (by SW) getting to their connection in Houston. Subsequently they missed their flight to Oklahoma City. They were told there were no more flights to OK City. They had to rent a car and drive 8 hours to get home. SW didnt offer so much as a toothbrush. They were told, basically "Hey, you decided to get on the airplane in Ft. Lauderdale- tough cookies" Great customer service. You may want to consider this situation in your future travel plans.

You may want to have your Daughter call Southwest directly. On our trip to Disney last October on the way their Southwest broke one of the wheels on our stroller. My daughter was 3 so we kind of needed it when we went to the parks. The stroller still worked but if you lifted it one of the front wheels fell off. It was a minor inconvienance. We complained about it at the airlines when we got off the plane in Orlando & their response was you signed the waiver, nothing we could do. I told my wife they are right. She called customer service when we got home, saying it was a major problem & a 5 minute call they gave us $500 in vouchers.

Interesting. Im fearing the take over of Airtran by Southwest. Airtrain is based here in Atlanta and has been GREAT to me over the past decade. To the point that I dont like flying any other airline. Their service is usually on time, and their customer service has always been outstanding. One example: my flight landed on time, but we had to wait for 45 minutes to get a gate. 2 weeks later, I received a letter from Airtran saying they were giving me a free one-way flight to make up for it. I hadnt even sent in a complaint letter or anything.

Southwest seems to be a little more "Wild West" with their no seat assignments and junk. As someone who regularly took advantage of Airtrans cheap upgrade to business class, this scares me as well.

My pipedream is that something like this will actually happen in my lifetime and make my life 100x easier... http://i.imgur.com/Ey1362j.png

Given the landmass flying is probably a lot more practical and cheaper.

You may want to have your Daughter call Southwest directly. On our trip to Disney last October on the way their Southwest broke one of the wheels on our stroller. My daughter was 3 so we kind of needed it when we went to the parks. The stroller still worked but if you lifted it one of the front wheels fell off. It was a minor inconvienance. We complained about it at the airlines when we got off the plane in Orlando & their response was you signed the waiver, nothing we could do. I told my wife they are right. She called customer service when we got home, saying it was a major problem & a 5 minute call they gave us $500 in vouchers.

Believe me, they wont let this go.

southwest has consistently been the model of airline customer service for over a decade. id say contact them directly and get it sorted out. one (or even a couple) bad ticketing agents shouldnt sour you on them completely.

This.I have flown Southwest since its inception, and to me, it's by far the best airline as far as customer service, inflight customer service, and allowing passengers to change plans. It's what it's known for. It's just not a cheapy airline like it used to be, although if you plan in advance you can still get great deals.

This.I have flown Southwest since its inception, and to me, it's by far the best airline as far as customer service, inflight customer service, and allowing passengers to change plans. It's what it's known for. It's just not a cheapy airline like it used to be, although if you plan in advance you can still get great deals.

business schools nationwide regularly use southwest for case studies on customer service and innovative thinking... i cant tell you how many times i had to write about their practices in school.

business schools nationwide regularly use southwest for case studies on customer service and innovative thinking... i cant tell you how many times i had to write about their practices in school.

This makes me feel better about losing Airtran!

Edited by DrDareustein

This makes me feel better about losing Airtran!

any company will screw things up - especially with $10/hr employees handling problems, its just bound to happen, but they do a pretty good job at setting a culture of consumer satisfaction. Ive flown with them regularly and never had a real issue.

the seating thing seems weird at first, but as long as you check in right at 24 hours prior to the flight you will be in the first boarding group and get your choice of seating easily.

Just last week I experienced a 3 hour delay on AirTran flying from Richmond to ATL (mechanical). Not a huge deal, had to move some meetings around, etc. Well, about 2 days later received an e-mail with a voucher for a free roundtrip ticket anywhere to be used within a year. I showed my step mother, who is a travel agent, the e-mail and she said that is UNHEARD of these days. AirTran rocks!

Just last week I experienced a 3 hour delay on AirTran flying from Richmond to ATL (mechanical). Not a huge deal, had to move some meetings around, etc. Well, about 2 days later received an e-mail with a voucher for a free roundtrip ticket anywhere to be used within a year. I showed my step mother, who is a travel agent, the e-mail and she said that is UNHEARD of these days. AirTran rocks!

That is pretty good. On our way to Vegas Friday morning we had a 3 hour delay thru Southwest because of mechanical issues(the battery on the plane was dead). They gave us a $100 voucher. I thought that was decent.

That is pretty good. On our way to Vegas Friday morning we had a 3 hour delay thru Southwest because of mechanical issues(the battery on the plane was dead). They gave us a $100 voucher. I thought that was decent.

Plus, a $100 voucher on Southwest is worth way more than a $100 voucher on any other airline. It's the equivalent of $100 in cash, since you are never charged for changing planes or plans under any circumstances (except of course if you want a higher priced seat). So it literally can be used at any time

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Rock on till Octber or November. By then it will be all Southwest in Richmond.

I feel like there's more to the story here. If there were no more flights to OKC (and, looking at the flight schedules, that could be possible if they took the very last flight out of FLL), WN would have generally rebooked the passenger on a flight the next day pending room or offered a refund/credit.

From the Southwest Carriage Contract: (http://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs/corporate-commitments/contract-of-carriage.pdf):

(4) Delays or Involuntary Cancellations. If a Passenger’s scheduled transportation is

cancelled, terminated, or delayed before the Passenger has reached his final

destination as a result of a flight cancellation, Carrier-caused missed connection,

flight delay, or omission of a scheduled stop, Carrier will either transport the

Passenger at no additional charge on another of Carrier’s flights, refund the fare for

the unused transportation, or provide a credit for such amount toward the purchase of

future travel.

Southwest sucks these days. Not long ago I wouldn't fly anyone else. Now that they are so successful they are as bad as the airlines they used to mock in their ads.

PTR

Southwest sucks these days. Not long ago I wouldn't fly anyone else. Now that they are so successful they are as bad as the airlines they used to mock in their ads.

PTR

hmmm...what exactly is your beef with them? I too have been flying with them for years and havent noticed any changes....