Lil Donte Still Talkin

T master

Edwards,

Your hostility towards Whitner and Lynch, both playing for winning and playoff teams, is very much misplaced. If they were foolish picks then direct your wrath to the bumbling fools who drafted them. The Whitner selection by the Bills was more than being bad, it was very odd. How do you justify something that is beyond explanation?

The Lynch pick might have been the owner's selection? Maybe yes or no? The owner enjoyed dabbling with his toy franchise. ML had issues related to his maturity level and off-field behavior that were well known before the draft. The organization still selected him. If you have a problem with Lynch then direct your ire at the fool organization that selected him.

No one disputes the fact that the Bills have a history of over-loading their drafts with RBs and DBs. That is not the core of their drafting problems. The real issue is their evaluation proficiency is poor regardless of the positions. Go back and review Nix's drafts. They are less than mediocre. What is even worse than his past poor

drafts is that he is still involved in our current draft. How does that make you feel? So much for accountability. So much for a fresh start under Brandon.

Repeating what I have said in the prior posts the hostility towards former players is very misplaced. The argument that a player such as Whitner is not good is not a criticism of him so much as it is a criticism of the foolhardy organization that drafted him. If Lynch is such a bad dude then why did this fool organization draft him when this organization has a public mantra of drafting character people?

I take issue with hometown fans who tolerate players when they play for their team and then vilify them when they change teams. I take issue with hometown fans who make excuses for their loser team and then make excuses for why other teams win, especially with the Pats. There is more than enough garbage to focus one's attention on within this failed organization from top to bottom. Why bother concerning yourself with players not even on your team? It makes no sense to me.

[

Your hostility towards Stevie Johnson is irrational. To call him "clown Stevie" is absurd when he competes like a warroir every week, and is arguably the best non-RB player on the team.

My view and attitude toward Stevie Johnson are very justified. He is a self-centered brat player who over-rates hmself, as many of the local fans do. As a #1 receiver he is a lower tiered caliber of player. He is a good #2 receiver. You are right that he is one of our better players. But that is nothing to be proud of . The Bills are a losing franchise because the base talent level is very mediocre.

Until the Bills start winning and are able to compete against good teams Stevie needs to shut down his tired clown act and behave more maturely on the field. He is far from being a warrior, as you put it. He is self-centered player who plays on a losing team. His act is very tiresome. A little more seriousness and less frivolity on the field might be useful to this struggling team. I don't need him to exhibit his personality on the field. I prefer to see him make more plays and act like a professional instead of like a jerk.

Edited by JohnC

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edwards,

Your hostility towards Whitner and Lynch, both playing for winning and playoff teams, is very much misplaced. If they were foolish picks then direct your wrath to the bumbling fools who drafted them. The Whitner selection by the Bills was more than being bad, it was very odd. How do you justify something that is beyond explanation?

The Lynch pick might have been the owner's selection? Maybe yes or no? The owner enjoyed dabbling with his toy franchise. ML had issues related to his maturity level and off-field behavior that were well known before the draft. The organization still selected him. If you have a problem with Lynch then direct your ire at the fool organization that selected him.

No one disputes the fact that the Bills have a history of over-loading their drafts with RBs and DBs. That is not the core of their drafting problems. The real issue is their evaluation proficiency is poor regardless of the positions. Go back and review Nix's drafts. They are less than mediocre. What is even worse than his past poor

drafts is that he is still involved in our current draft. How does that make you feel? So much for accountability. So much for a fresh start under Brandon.

Repeating what I have said in the prior posts the hostility towards former players is very misplaced. The argument that a player such as Whitner is not good is not a criticism of him so much as it is a criticism of the foolhardy organization that drafted him. If Lynch is such a bad dude then why did this fool organization draft him when this organization has a public mantra of drafting character people?

I take issue with hometown fans who tolerate players when they play for their team and then vilify them when they change teams. I take issue with hometown fans who make excuses for their loser team and then make excuses for why other teams win, especially with the Pats. There is more than enough garbage to focus one's attention on within this failed organization from top to bottom. Why bother concerning yourself with players not even on your team? It makes no sense to me.

[

My view and attitude to Stevie Johnson are very justified. He is a self-centered brat player who over-rates hmself, as many of the local fans do. As a #1 receiver he is a lower tiered caliber of player. He is a good #2 receiver. You are right that he is one of our better players. But that is nothing to be proud of . The Bills are a losing franchise because the base talent level is very mediocre.

Until the Bills start winning and are able to compete against good teams Stevie needs to shut down his tired clown act and behave more maturely on the field. He is far from being a warrior, as you put it. He is self-centered player who plays on a losing team. His act is very tiresome. A little more seriousness and less frivolity on the field might be useful to this struggling team. I don't need him to exhibit his personality on the field. I prefer to see him make more plays and act like a professional instead of like a jerk.

> Your hostility towards Whitner and Lynch, both playing for winning and playoff teams, is very much misplaced.

How so? What statements have I made about Lynch or Whitner which are either exaggerated or inaccurate?

Yes, I realize that the blame for drafting them belongs with the front office, or perhaps with the owner. That doesn't change the fact that, as human beings, I find a lot more to dislike about their personalities than to like. That dislike did not (as you seem to suppose) magically appear after they left the Bills. I began disliking Lynch when I heard about the hit-and-run accident, and about his "borrowing" 20 dollars. I began disliking Twhitner long before he left the Bills.

> I take issue with hometown fans who make excuses for their loser team and then make excuses for why other teams win, especially with the Pats.

Great, but how is this relevant? When have you seen me do either of these things?

> My view and attitude to Stevie Johnson are very justified. He is a self-centered brat player who over-rates hmself, as many of the local fans do. As a #1 receiver he is a lower tiered caliber of player.

Your current discussion of Stevie Johnson revolves around name-calling--"self-centered brat player"--supported by repetition of arguments you have made before. You will not persuade me with these tactics. Unless you have something new and worthwhile to bring to a Stevie Johnson debate, I have no interest in discussing this further.

> No one disputes the fact that the Bills have a history of over-loading their drafts with RBs and DBs. That is not the core of their drafting problems. The real issue is their evaluation proficiency is poor regardless of the positions.

Both evaluation proficiency and position selection are core drafting problems with the Bills.

Unlike players at most other positions, first round RBs are expected to make quick impacts as rookies. RBs typically have shorter careers than players at most other positions. For a GM who's more focused on making a quick impact in his first year than he is on the long-term project of building a Super Bowl champion, a first round RB can be a very tempting pick.

When TD took over, he inherited a team with plenty of holes. RB was not among them: Antowain Smith was a decent, but not great, RB. That didn't stop him from immediately creating a hole at RB (by parting ways with Smith), and using a 2nd round pick to fill that hole. Just a few years later, he used a first round pick on yet another RB.

When Marv came, the Bills once again had holes at a number of positions. But the Bills had a reasonably good RB in the form of McGahee. That didn't stop Marv from artificially creating a hole at RB (by trading McGahee) and using the 12th overall pick on his replacement.

One sees much the same thing at DB positions. Three times over the last decade, the Bills created holes at DB by allowing the DB with the best combination of youth + proven accomplishment leave via free agency. They have also used a number of first round picks on filling the holes thus created. Their overemphasis on RBs and DBs represents execrable team-building strategy, quite apart from any flaws in the player evaluation process.

> Your hostility towards Whitner and Lynch, both playing for winning and playoff teams, is very much misplaced.

How so? What statements have I made about Lynch or Whitner which are either exaggerated or inaccurate?

Yes, I realize that the blame for drafting them belongs with the front office, or perhaps with the owner. That doesn't change the fact that, as human beings, I find a lot more to dislike about their personalities than to like. That dislike did not (as you seem to suppose) magically appear after they left the Bills. I began disliking Lynch when I heard about the hit-and-run accident, and about his "borrowing" 20 dollars. I began disliking Twhitner long before he left the Bills.

> I take issue with hometown fans who make excuses for their loser team and then make excuses for why other teams win, especially with the Pats.

Great, but how is this relevant? When have you seen me do either of these things?

> My view and attitude to Stevie Johnson are very justified. He is a self-centered brat player who over-rates hmself, as many of the local fans do. As a #1 receiver he is a lower tiered caliber of player.

Your current discussion of Stevie Johnson revolves around name-calling--"self-centered brat player"--supported by repetition of arguments you have made before. You will not persuade me with these tactics. Unless you have something new and worthwhile to bring to a Stevie Johnson debate, I have no interest in discussing this further.

> No one disputes the fact that the Bills have a history of over-loading their drafts with RBs and DBs. That is not the core of their drafting problems. The real issue is their evaluation proficiency is poor regardless of the positions.

Both evaluation proficiency and position selection are core drafting problems with the Bills.

Unlike players at most other positions, first round RBs are expected to make quick impacts as rookies. RBs typically have shorter careers than players at most other positions. For a GM who's more focused on making a quick impact in his first year than he is on the long-term project of building a Super Bowl champion, a first round RB can be a very tempting pick.

When TD took over, he inherited a team with plenty of holes. RB was not among them: Antowain Smith was a decent, but not great, RB. That didn't stop him from immediately creating a hole at RB (by parting ways with Smith), and using a 2nd round pick to fill that hole. Just a few years later, he used a first round pick on yet another RB.

When Marv came, the Bills once again had holes at a number of positions. But the Bills had a reasonably good RB in the form of McGahee. That didn't stop Marv from artificially creating a hole at RB (by trading McGahee) and using the 12th overall pick on his replacement.

One sees much the same thing at DB positions. Three times over the last decade, the Bills created holes at DB by allowing the DB with the best combination of youth + proven accomplishment leave via free agency. They have also used a number of first round picks on filling the holes thus created. Their overemphasis on RBs and DBs represents execrable team-building strategy, quite apart from any flaws in the player evaluation process.

The general thrust of your response is that the organization has been stupidly run. Do you think I disagree with such an obvious observation? The Bills are a league laughing stock. I'm well aware of that.

Donte Whitner and Marshawn Lynch are long gone. Why waste time on them when there is a bounty of fodder to scrutinize on the hometown front? Why expend so much effort trying to denigrate players who you really don't know? Lynch had his troubles when he was in western NY. But that doesn't mean that he is irredeemble bad guy.

My view of Stevie is negative. It is based on his behavior on the field. When a HC in advance tells a particular player not to act in a particular juvenile way that will penalize his team and still does that, then that type of player deserves to be criticized. When I witness a receiver pouting and emotionally out of control because the ball was not thrown to him or thrown poorly to him then I have plenty of warranted crticizism toward him. Showing up your qb, who never showed the receiver up when he dropped a pass, is not behavior that I respect. You might like that type of emotional display but I don't.

You might consider SJ as a fun personality expressing himself but I consider him a second rate #1 receiver on a losing team. What a losing team doesn't need is more me players. I prefer watching players making plays not choreographed displays after some pedestrian play has been made. What a persistent losing team needs from its players is more seriousness and less frivolity. When this losing franchise starts winning more and shows that it is capable of competing against good teams then I will be more tolerant of the clownish behavior from some of its players. Until it can get to the point of respectability the noisey players should STFU and stop dancing and prancing. It's embarrassing!

Edited by JohnC

The general thrust of your response is that the organization has been stupidly run. Do you think I disagree with such an obvious observation? The Bills are a league laughing stock. I'm well aware of that.

Donte Whitner and Marshawn Lynch are long gone. Why waste time on them when there is a bounty of fodder to scrutinize on the hometown front? Why expend so much effort trying to denigrate players who you really don't know? Lynch had his troubles when he was in western NY. But that doesn't mean that he is irredeemble bad guy.

My view of Stevie is negative. It is based on his behavior on the field. When a HC in advance tells a particular player not to act in a particular juvenile way that will penalize his team and still does that, then that type of player deserves to be criticized. When I witness a receiver pouting and emotionally out of control because the ball was not thrown to him or thrown poorly to him then I have plenty of warranted crticizism toward him. Showing up your qb, who never showed the receiver up when he dropped a pass, is not behavior that I respect. You might like that type of emotional display but I don't.

You might consider SJ as a fun personality expressing himself but I consider him a second rate #1 receiver on a losing team. What a losing team doesn't need is more me players. I prefer watching players making plays not choreographed displays after some pedestrian play has been made. What a persistent losing team needs from its players is more seriousness and less frivolity. When this losing franchise starts winning more and shows that it is capable of competing against good teams then I will be more tolerant of the clownish behavior from some of its players. Until it can get to the point of respectability the noisey players should STFU and stop dancing and prancing. It's embarrassing!

> Donte Whitner and Marshawn Lynch are long gone. Why waste time on them when there is a bounty of fodder to scrutinize on the hometown front?

To be honest, I don't waste a whole lot of time on Lynch. I'm content to make my observations about him and then move on. As far as I'm concerned, he's a thug, a wasted draft pick for Buffalo, and is playing well for Seattle. It is what it is, and requires no further commentary.

With Whitner the situation is different. A bubble of hype seems to surround him wherever he goes; and Whitner's own mouth is responsible for a lot of that hype. If thta bubble didn't exist, I wouldn't feel the impulse to burst it. If Whitner was living up to the hype, I wouldn't feel the impulse to burst the bubble. His Pro Bowl invitation was based on empty hype, the idea that San Francisco's success was because of him--rather than despite him--is hype. I for one am tired of all Whitner-related hype!

How is any of this relevant to the Bills, you may ask. At least according to some of Whitner's supporters here on these boards, Whitner's troubles in Buffalo were due in large part to bad coaching and a bad situation. According to this myth, Whitner went to San Francisco, received much better coaching, was put into a much better situatin, and voila! became a much better player. In the Super Bowl, we saw the kind of player Whitner really is.

The above logic has also been used to defend numerous other underperforming Bills players, both past and present. According to that line of thinking, underperforming Bills' player ______ could do a lot better, if placed in the right situation with the right coaching. Whitner's supposed improvement after going to the 49ers is seen as a supporting example of this.

> Donte Whitner and Marshawn Lynch are long gone. Why waste time on them when there is a bounty of fodder to scrutinize on the hometown front?

To be honest, I don't waste a whole lot of time on Lynch. I'm content to make my observations about him and then move on. As far as I'm concerned, he's a thug, a wasted draft pick for Buffalo, and is playing well for Seattle. It is what it is, and requires no further commentary.

When country Buddy Nix traded Lynch to the Seahawks for a fourth round pick another team or two complained that they offered the Bills more in a trade than what Seattle paid. How smartly did our GM perform in his duties? When Brandon took over the operation for the ailing owner he kept Nix as his GM. So much for a fresh start and a new era of accountability.

How is any of this relevant to the Bills, you may ask. At least according to some of Whitner's supporters here on these boards, Whitner's troubles in Buffalo were due in large part to bad coaching and a bad situation. According to this myth, Whitner went to San Francisco, received much better coaching, was put into a much better situatin, and voila! became a much better player. In the Super Bowl, we saw the kind of player Whitner really is.

The above logic has also been used to defend numerous other underperforming Bills players, both past and present. According to that line of thinking, underperforming Bills' player ______ could do a lot better, if placed in the right situation with the right coaching. Whitner's supposed improvement after going to the 49ers is seen as a supporting example of this.

Whitner is what he is and always was i.e. a very average player who was drafted at an absurdly high point in the draft. The outrage should not be directed at the yapping player but it should be directed toward the clown organization that drafted him. He tweeted when he was with the Bills and he tweets with his new team. Leave this inconsequential player alone----he is not worth the attention that you and many others give him. The best thing that happened to him is that he left a bedraggled franchise and went to a winning organization. In the end it worked out well for him. Good for him. I wish him the best.

Well stated.

I don't understand the fixation on Whitner. Is he brash and a loudmouth? Maybe so. But who cares? He doesn't play for the Bills any longer. It's ironic that SJ, a player whose self-centered behavior on the field has actually negatively impacted the team, is considered "cute and cuddly" while a player no longer involved with the team draws the ire of so many people.

When Whitner was with the team he played hard and with passion. To say the least he wasn't as good as he thought he was but he was a team guy. SJ was told in advance by his HC not to showboat to the point that it will end up as an infraction and hurt the team. Why was he told in advance to tone done his clownish scripted act? Because his childish behavior was gaining momentum to the point that it was becoming a distraction on the field.

Another issue I have with the petulant Stevie that didn't exist with Whitner is his pounting on the field when the ball wasn't thrown his way or it was poorly thrown. He made a point to show up his qb although the qb never showed him up when he dropped one of his balls. That's not the behavior of a team guy; that is not the behavior of a professional. It's the behavior of a me guy.

Well said. We are talking about a guy who blamed God for dropping a pass that cost his team a game. Complete fool.

My view and attitude toward Stevie Johnson are very justified. He is a self-centered brat player who over-rates hmself, as many of the local fans do. As a #1 receiver he is a lower tiered caliber of player. He is a good #2 receiver. You are right that he is one of our better players. But that is nothing to be proud of . The Bills are a losing franchise because the base talent level is very mediocre.

This!

When Thurman Thomas scored his 1st TD and spiked the ball hard in the end zone, Marv Levy simply whispered in his ear "Learn to be a professional". Thurman never did. That is a classy player. Stevie could have a better career if he can be more focused on the field and be a go-getter.

There should be a new area on TBD ... "Jagged Little Pill," where all of the scorned lovers of ex-Bills can spew venom all day long.

How DARE players leave Buffalo and go to the playoffs with other teams!!!! The NERVE!!!!

There should be a new area on TBD ... "Jagged Little Pill," where all of the scorned lovers of ex-Bills can spew venom all day long.

How DARE players leave Buffalo and go to the playoffs with other teams!!!! The NERVE!!!!

People around here who have some sense see how bad a player he actually is, regardless of where he was picked, and they call him out on it. He played for Buffalo once and did the same here, then blamed the "system" for how badly he sucked, but continues to blow donkey even in a great system littered with top tier talent.

I don't see how you have a disconnect on that, this is a forum after all, it is a topic, and people discuss it...

People around here who have some sense see how bad a player he actually is, regardless of where he was picked, and they call him out on it. He played for Buffalo once and did the same here, then blamed the "system" for how badly he sucked, but continues to blow donkey even in a great system littered with top tier talent.

I don't see how you have a disconnect on that, this is a forum after all, it is a topic, and people discuss it...

I guess my point is this: Who gives a ****? He's not on the Bills anymore and he was FAR from the reason the Bills sucked when he WAS here.

I guess my point is this: Who gives a ****? He's not on the Bills anymore and he was FAR from the reason the Bills sucked when he WAS here.

I can understand in some instances what you're getting at, but 'lil Donte really chapped a lot of asses with his whole attitude, and seeing him get torched in the playoffs really brought a lot of vindication...

I can understand in some instances what you're getting at, but 'lil Donte really chapped a lot of asses with his whole attitude, and seeing him get torched in the playoffs really brought a lot of vindication...

Vindication of what? He is playing in the SB. The Bills have been out of the playoffs for 13 consecutive years. Out of the last ten years the Bills have had a losing record 8 times. The Bills are considered a laughing stock organization by the rest of the leauge.Why does a former inconsequential player drafted by a moronic front office at the top of the draft draw so much attention and ire? When your product is garbage work on your own stink before spending an iota of time and effort on player that has for a long time nothing to do with you.

If you are 5'6" and weigh 350 lbs you are not in position to call someone who is slightly chubby fat! Look in mirror before judging others.

Vindication of what? He is playing in the SB. The Bills have been out of the playoffs for 13 consecutive years. Out of the last ten years the Bills have had a losing record 8 times. The Bills are considered a laughing stock organization by the rest of the leauge.Why does a former inconsequential player drafted by a moronic front office at the top of the draft draw so much attention and ire? When your product is garbage work on your own stink before spending an iota of time and effort on player that has for a long time nothing to do with you.

If you are 5'6" and weigh 350 lbs you are not in position to call someone who is slightly chubby fat! Look in mirror before judging others.

> Vindication of what? He is playing in the SB.

So what? A few years ago, the 49ers had a good overall football team, and a hole at SS. Today, they have a better overall football team, and a hole at SS.

> The Bills have been out of the playoffs for 13 consecutive years.

Part of the reason for that long drought was the squandering of the 8th overall pick on Whitner.

> Why does a former inconsequential player drafted by a moronic front office at the top of the draft draw so much attention and ire?

When Whitner was selected to the Pro Bowl, many of his supporters here on these forums triumphantly proclaimed he was a top safety. After watching his performance in the Super Bowl, it should have been glaringly obvious to anyone why Whitner the free agent had attracted so little interest from GMs.

But now that it's become crystal clear that Whitner's detractors were right all along, we're not supposed to point this out because . . . we're spending too much attention on the subject? Back when Whitner's supporters were gloating about his (completely undeserved) Pro Bowl invitation, did you tell them they were giving the subject too much attention?

> When your product is garbage work on your own stink before spending an iota of time and effort on player that has for a long time nothing to do with you.

You seem to be holding Bills' fans collectively responsible for the incompetence of the front office. Is there anything you would advise me, as a fan, to do differently to promote a more competent front office?

Edited by Edwards' Arm

vindication = letting him go because he is average to a borderline liability on defense. the bills did something right in not signing him to big $$$.

it's the small victories. :flirt:

Vindication of what?

The vindication is directed at every card-carrying member of The Donte Whitner Fan Club - those who feel the need to start a thread every time Donte makes a hit i.e. Pierre Thomas. How long you been a member?

Seriously, you guys are like a bunch of girls who troll their ex boyfriends facebook page just to hate on him and his new girl. Whitner is gone...get over it. Who cares what he says on Twitter.

He was a solid player for us, he gave this team what he could. All the issues with our D while he was his here was not just his fault as the whole unit had issues and still does. So why even care what he says? Why hate him? He never hated on Buffalo or the fans despite the fact all the whiney girls here couldn't get over that he wasn't Ngata which was a FO move, not his.

Funny part is I remember all the TSW so called draft experts making a stink about it and saying Michael Huff was worth it there, but not Donte (Huff when one pick earlier). Well, Donte has had a better career than Huff...again, its easy to criticize after the fact, but if those people got their way and had Huff, it would have been an even worse pick.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Seriously, you guys are like a bunch of girls who troll their ex boyfriends facebook page just to hate on him and his new girl. Whitner is gone...get over it. Who cares what he says on Twitter.

Some people including myself are happy he was exposed as the crappy player he really is so all the 'lil donte lovers would quiet down. It's relevant on another level because these people are the same that question and bash everything the front office does and that gets old really fast. I had started a thread about how he was embarrassed on national television, which excludes me from your ex-girlfriend rant, and also because i don't personally care what he thinks of himself, but rather the Donte lovers who think we should have kept the bum, but i totally agree with your sentiment on who cares what he says on twitter.

Again, he blows, always did, always will.

Edited by Homey D. Clown