Whole Foods

WoW ! An American business that actually realizes the symbiotic relationship between labor and investors , INCONCEIVABLE!

http://finance.yahoo...-191318206.html

Mackey says conscious capitalism, on the other hand, “is a type of free enterprise capitalism that is...a very different model than what we’re seeing happen in the U.S. today.”

Whole Food's pay structure is a perfect example. The maximum ratio of executive pay to workers is 19:1, which is far less than many other U.S. companies.

Edited by tomato can

There are a lot of examples of conscious capitalism, I'm sure of it, but its better news to report on the companies that see pay ratios hundreds:1.... And that have reputations for working customers over...

Ben and Jerry's is another example of a company that I believe Amy's employees pretty well and whose CEO job is not a cash pot...

Whole Foods is a wannabe communist depot filled with bleeding heart liberals who want to pretend they are getting superior quality groceries. In fact they are getting the same milk, eggs, cheese, grain, and produce as those who go to Walmart and they pay 300% more in the name of "morality".

There's a reason Whole Foods will never cater to the bottom 80%. Their clientele is wealthy liberals and I find their Birkenstock wearing, volvo & Subaru station wagon driving selfs hilarious.

The nice thing about America done right is that Whole Foods can choose to run its business however it wants to.

I shop at a local co op but Whole Foods was a good option before the two co ops came online. And no, Whole Foods is not the same as the local Tops Acme Piggly Wiggly.

Edited by John Adams

Whole Foods is a wannabe communist depot filled with bleeding heart liberals who want to pretend they are getting superior quality groceries. In fact they are getting the same milk, eggs, cheese, grain, and produce as those who go to Walmart and they pay 300% more in the name of "morality".

There's a reason Whole Foods will never cater to the bottom 80%. Their clientele is wealthy liberals and I find their Birkenstock wearing, volvo & Subaru station wagon driving selfs hilarious.

Pretty spot on. Congrats to Mackey for tapping into the liberal elitism to make a nice penny. He can afford to preach conscious capital because he's got a captive audience willing to pay a high mark up and drive much higher profits for his company than almost anyone else in the retail food business.

Don't hate because all you can afford is the gutter Walmart shopping experience.... And there are very few like products that fill Walmart and Costco shelves.... But nice try

Walmart: just a proud American story of sucking the life out local business communities and being the retail trough were poor, mindless Americans fall all over themselves on garbage Chinese imports and seafood from the sewers of Thailand, while the Walton's don't have enough time to count their fortune and their employees drown on minimum wage, **** benefits and no hope for the future....

And we wonder why we have no many people on the public roles, and have out of control entitlements....

Don't hate because all you can afford is the gutter Walmart shopping experience.... And there are very few like products that fill Walmart and Costco shelves.... But nice try

Walmart: just a proud American story of sucking the life out local business communities and being the retail trough were poor, mindless Americans fall all over themselves on garbage Chinese imports and seafood from the sewers of Thailand, while the Walton's don't have enough time to count their fortune and their employees drown on minimum wage, **** benefits and no hope for

the future....

And we wonder why we have no many people on the public roles, and have out of control entitlements....

as opposed to Whole Foods selling on reputation. That their farmers are treated fairly, given top dollar, and the practices are monitored. Trust me. You'll have t trust me, Whole Foods does great things for awareness and I am glad for this. But they !@#$ over the farmer.

The only detail on this I will give is that the uniformed consumer-most of the-can be sold bull ****. Then they come to a market or go to a real farm and wonder why its not the same as the pictures they see wth awhole Foods. They fool the consumer in to believing organic beef is superior and safe, that Grassfed beef is easily produced, and a lot of other info that is misleading leading the consumer to hold a standard akin to what Whole Foods believes.

Walmart: just a proud American story of sucking the life out local business communities and being the retail trough were poor, mindless Americans fall all over themselves on garbage Chinese imports and seafood from the sewers of Thailand, while the Walton's don't have enough time to count their fortune and their employees drown on minimum wage, **** benefits and no hope for the future....

oh yeah big shot. If you want the best. Grow it yourself or go t the farm.

as opposed to Whole Foods selling on reputation. That their farmers are treated fairly, given top dollar, and the practices are monitored. Trust me. You'll have t trust me, Whole Foods does great things for awareness and I am glad for this. But they !@#$ over the farmer.

The only detail on this I will give is that the uniformed consumer-most of the-can be sold bull ****. Then they come to a market or go to a real farm and wonder why its not the same as the pictures they see wth awhole Foods. They fool the consumer in to believing organic beef is superior and safe, that Grassfed beef is easily produced, and a lot of other info that is misleading leading the consumer to hold a standard akin to what Whole Foods believes.

oh yeah big shot. If you want the best. Grow it yourself or go t the farm.

We grow a lot of our own herb, vegetables, potatoes (which don't yield a ton, maybe is Colorado soil).... And we try to jar or freeze stuff that we get from farmers markets in the summer, its amazing how long you can stretch produce if you don't mind it not being fresh but frozen. I will say when you grow your own produce, it tends to be smaller, different color and taste much better.

Most of the Farms here are on the Western Slope, so pretty far from our house in Denver. That is why we stock up the best we can at farmers markets.... Especially palisade peaches..... Oh daddy, they're so good...

We don't eat beef, chicken or pork, but we do buy our salmon from a small distributor in the Northwest, and get out shellfish from a company that sells direct from the gulf coast.... Both are personal referrals from friends in the business, its amazing how different the quality and freshness is.... The shrimp does have any smell to it like you find in grocery stores, or have that weird scent of whatever preservative they wash it in, or at least I think they do....bicarbonate r something.

We grow a lot of our own herb, vegetables, potatoes (which don't yield a ton, maybe is Colorado soil).... And we try to jar or freeze stuff that we get from farmers markets in the summer, its amazing how long you can stretch produce if you don't mind it not being fresh but frozen. I will say when you grow your own produce, it tends to be smaller, different color and taste much better.

Most of the Farms here are on the Western Slope, so pretty far from our house in Denver. That is why we stock up the best we can at farmers markets.... Especially palisade peaches..... Oh daddy, they're so good...

We don't eat beef, chicken or pork, but we do buy our salmon from a small distributor in the Northwest, and get out shellfish from a company that sells direct from the gulf coast.... Both are personal referrals from friends in the business, its amazing how different the quality and freshness is.... The shrimp does have any smell to it like you find in grocery stores, or have that weird scent of whatever preservative they wash it in, or at least I think they do....bicarbonate r something.

Compare that all with whole foods. What you see. What you learn from the farmer. The part where you get dirty. It is scary to find out how much dirtier Whole Foods is...

Compare that all with whole foods. What you see. What you learn from the farmer. The part where you get dirty. It is scary to find out how much dirtier Whole Foods is...

I went into a Whole Foods once. Not a single person working there was black. It was clear they are racist, so I never went back.

i haven't shopped at whole food but occasionally get some specialty foods at a similar local store. and the quality is definitely better. way better. i prefer getting stuff from the farmers market or my own garden but it's seasonal. and yes, i sometimes drive there in a subaru, dogs in the back, with comfortable shoes on. what of it? that's irrelevant - i like good quality, good tasting, healthy food. but i'm saddened to hear that local farmers are poorly treated by them. i think customers would complain if that was well known.

A new large-scale study from Stanford University finds that when it comes to nutrition, organic foods, such as meat, dairy, and produce, may not be worth the extra cash. While organics come at a premium, researchers say they are no healthier and not significantly safer than conventional foods and produce grown with pesticides.

Organic foods can cost as much as a third more than conventional alternatives, with consumers shelling out the extra cash with the hopes of purchasing healthier, more nutrient-dense food.

"There isn't much difference between organic and conventional foods, if you're an adult and making a decision based solely on your health," stated researcher Dena Bravata.

In a review of thousands of papers, the researchers found that there was also no guarantee organic food would be pesticide-free, though it did have 30 percent lower levels compared to conventional products. Yet despite this, the review yielded scant evidence that conventional foods posed greater health risks than organic products. In addition, the researchers found that the pesticide levels of all foods generally fell within the allowable safety limits. Two studies of children consuming organic and conventional diets did find lower levels of pesticide residues in the urine of children on organic diets, though the significance of these findings on child health is unclear, noted the researchers.

The results of the study -- the largest review of its kind comparing organic to conventional foods -- were published September 4 in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine.

read the study from the annals. here's the conclusion: "the published literature lacks strong evidence that organic foods are significantly more nutritious than conventional foods. Consumption of organic foods may reduce exposure to pesticide residue and antibiotic resistant bacteria". that last sentence is enough for me but there's many other good reasons to buy local. the biggest to me is freshness and species of vegetables. almost everyone agrees that homegrown tomatoes (especially heirlooms) are incomparable to shipped green ones from walmart. same for many other products. i don't eat exclusively organic foods. but if i cut my exposure to pesticides (as evidenced by lower urine residues) and ingest less antibiotic resistant bacteria as a result of eating less nonorganic food, that's a good thing in my opinion. and don't discount the energy saved by not shipping across continents or the benefit of supporting your local farmer.

Whole Foods is a fraud that mislabels their stock and then tries to justify it. Anyone who goes there is an idiot.

Anyone who can afford to shop at whole foods has the right feel smug about it.

...like buying a Lexus over a Toyota. Essentially the same car but it just feels better.

I'd go to Trader Joe's. Much of the food that Whole Foods advertises as organic, has GMO's in it.