Whole Foods

our farmers market does. and plenty of folks use them. think it's a great idea...money back right to the small farmers, healthier food for everyone. win-win.

I know farmers markets do and I agree. But that wasn't what I was asking.

I always walk softly on these issues. It is so very easy to be misunderstood and seem as if I am anti-farming anything. But, here is my uneducated $.02 speaking on something I do not know everything about and hopefully never will - the day I am a professional farmer is the day all of the work would be done.

Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Ken's Fresh Food Cornerstore Emporium, any of them can sell you a whole lot of ****. You literally have no idea what you're getting. Organic can be organic, but how organic must it be? It is far different then grassfed and I will get in to that a bit. Can you give the momma's extra protein, antibiotics, and steroids? It depends. Can you put pest control (flies, lice, tick) on them? It depends. You could, technically, take a bull that was dosed with a lot of antibiotics at youth, after being selectively created in AI vial (aka genetically engineered). That bull would be fed the finest of foods to produce the largest EPD's and best in the class then be sent to Jack's Bar-S Ranch, home of the Organic Big Burger. That bull breeds a cow that was AI'd, who gets daily feedings of by product from a nearby fruit packaging company, and the fermented slop from local breweries. When the calf is born the mother could be given the best of feeds to help rear that calf, though the calf would have never touched anything but grass. It would wean out dang near 800# with proper work, and be ready to harvest in less then 10 months.

On large operations, stuff like this happens.

Grassfed has been proven to be better, and has not been disproved like organic. Grassfed is better for the ruminant animal, more natural in that it provides a higher quality meat, though the marbling and flavor will be different then some. Organic still faces the same polluted rain and run off water. It still has to deal with chicken litter as fertilizer which is a very dangerous thing.

I am not knocking any type of farming. I am just saying that things like this are real easy to bait and switch. I would just as soon look for the individual farm and see what I could get there. For anyone interested I would be willing to post my standards:

1) Location is important, can I see them.

2) Does it look real? Or is it a back of the double wide farm op?

3) Is it certified? With who? State Dept of Ag, USDA?

4) Is it registered with any types of affiliation? Specifically, the http://www.animalwelfareapproved.org/

5) Is the farmer part of any registered groups, National Grass Council? Cooperative Growers Assoc? Etc.

6) What does he say about other farms. This might be the most important. A good farmer, an honest farmer, and one that is going to give you the best service and product is never going to discourage you from patronizing another farm. He is never going to tell you what they do wrong. He will mention what they do right, he will mention why they might be good people. But. He will never tell you that Tom has relations with this turkeys, or that Doc secretly uses a little bit of a molasses to sweeten his honey. (If that farmer knows there is an issue, is any type of honest, and real he will tell the people who matter about those things and NOT the customer.)

Hope that helps.

over the past few years ive gone heavy organic due to some mysterious health problems, had some limited success in addressing them, not sure how much the organics have helped but it cant hurt anything but the pockebook. ive read up some on the subject and theres a lot of truth to what youre saying, theres still a ton of grey areas and lack of oversight on organics so producers are often getting away with things you certainly wouldnt want in your so called all natural foods

i try to buy from local suppliers as much as i can so that i have access to thm and can ask about their procedures. even then you cant be totally sure but its better than shelling out even more to buy from wegmans and just hope its legit. some things are really hard to find, like raw milk yogurt, organic cabbage, and organic pork

i find it humorous that one common criticism is that organic food isnt any more nutritious. well duh, thats not the point. you buy organic bc its not supposed to have all the other stuff in it beside nutrients that results in your body becoming too toxic. you want just the nutrients without all the other crap. id like to think what limited success ive had with my health problems is due to reducing those toxins, but since its not something that conventional medicine currently measures you really can only make that determination anecdotally. but believe me, when you feel like crap all the time you are willing to try anything, and toxin-reduced food is a good place to start imo

over the past few years ive gone heavy organic due to some mysterious health problems, had some limited success in addressing them, not sure how much the organics have helped but it cant hurt anything but the pockebook. ive read up some on the subject and theres a lot of truth to what youre saying, theres still a ton of grey areas and lack of oversight on organics so producers are often getting away with things you certainly wouldnt want in your so called all natural foods

i try to buy from local suppliers as much as i can so that i have access to thm and can ask about their procedures. even then you cant be totally sure but its better than shelling out even more to buy from wegmans and just hope its legit. some things are really hard to find, like raw milk yogurt, organic cabbage, and organic pork

i find it humorous that one common criticism is that organic food isnt any more nutritious. well duh, thats not the point. you buy organic bc its not supposed to have all the other stuff in it beside nutrients that results in your body becoming too toxic. you want just the nutrients without all the other crap. id like to think what limited success ive had with my health problems is due to reducing those toxins, but since its not something that conventional medicine currently measures you really can only make that determination anecdotally. but believe me, when you feel like crap all the time you are willing to try anything, and toxin-reduced food is a good place to start imo

Good post.

I aways get a charge how you lower 48er's brag about your "natural" foods, and pay 2x for them. I eat wilderness moose I shot myself, wild pacific salmon I caught myself, and wild birds I shot myself.

Vegetables? Of course there all organic. Why use pesticides when there are no pests in Alaska?

Yet people living in a chemical cesspool like NJ mock me for living in Alaska.

I aways get a charge how you lower 48er's brag about your "natural" foods, and pay 2x for them. I eat wilderness moose I shot myself, wild pacific salmon I caught myself, and wild birds I shot myself.

Vegetables? Of course there all organic. Why use pesticides when there are no pests in Alaska?

Alaska? According to your name, you live in Anchorage, though! Lol

A jersey 6 is an Alaska 10. And both of those are an LA 2.

Great blip from NYT article on payroll tax cut and how it's affected one Whole Foods customer.

"But that did little to help Jessica Price, who holds down two jobs in Orlando. Most weekends she works at a clothing store in a shopping center near the Universal Studios theme park, within sight of the roller coasters, and she spends weekdays collecting tolls on a local expressway.

Ms. Price, 20, whose annual income is $15,000 to $16,000, prefers shopping at Whole Foods, the upscale supermarket chain, which is healthier but more expensive. But since the payroll tax went up, she has been going more often to Publix and Walmart.

“The food that has a lot of fat and food coloring is cheaper,” she said. “It’s a lot more expensive to eat healthier. But now I’m actually looking at the price tag on things rather than grabbing them.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/business/restored-payroll-tax-pinches-those-with-the-smallest-checks.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

Great blip from NYT article on payroll tax cut and how it's affected one Whole Foods customer.

I think you mean payroll tax INCREASE, not cuts.

Man, I sure miss the good old days when President Obama repeatedly told everyone that, under his plan, no one earning under $200K a year would see "ANY kind of tax increase...not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not ANY of your taxes."

Good times. Good times. Lucky for him the media is happy to chase all the little squirrels he throws at them.

I think you mean payroll tax INCREASE, not cuts.

Man, I sure miss the good old days when President Obama repeatedly told everyone that, under his plan, no one earning under $200K a year would see "ANY kind of tax increase...not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not ANY of your taxes."

Good times. Good times. Lucky for him the media is happy to chase all the little squirrels he throws at them.

tomato "potatoe"

our farmers market does. and plenty of folks use them. think it's a great idea...money back right to the small farmers, healthier food for everyone. win-win.

The wisest thing to do in regards to food stamps is to purchase them from the scumbags who receive them at 50 cents on the dollar.

That way they can support their crack habits, and the people who actually pay the taxes to provide the food stamps get a subsidy for their grocery bill.

Win/win. Any person not in receipt of food stamps who doesn't do this is a sucker and a fool.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker