Smoke and Mirrors

San Francisco 49ers defense has 5 starting first round draft picks, they start 6 on offense - how does Harbaugh do it ? With half his starters being first round picks. Then there is Ted Ginn, Alex Smith also first rounders and then this years bust AJ Jenkins who is no TJ Graham.

Bad finishes for eight years in a row prior to Harbaugh on the field over shadowed home run drafting and signing a few others .

Three first rounders on the offensive line to start,

San Francisco 49ers defense has 5 starting first round draft picks, they start 6 on offense - how does Harbaugh do it ? With half his starters being first round picks. Then there is Ted Ginn, Alex Smith also first rounders and then this years bust AJ Jenkins who is no TJ Graham.

Bad finishes for eight years in a row prior to Harbaugh on the field over shadowed home run drafting and signing a few others .

Three first rounders on the offensive line to start,

There is a ton of talent on that team that Harbaugh didnt bring in. He brought the culture change. I hope Marrone does something similar

There is a ton of talent on that team that Harbaugh didnt bring in. He brought the culture change. I hope Marrone does something similar

I think you're right on point here. A change in mindset is exactly what we need. In my opinion there's only two people that can bring about this type of change. A QB or a Head Coach. If you are lucky enough to get both you win super bowls.

I think you're right on point here. A change in mindset is exactly what we need. In my opinion there's only two people that can bring about this type of change. A QB or a Head Coach. If you are lucky enough to get both you win super bowls.

I thought they lost? :P

no one ever just flat out says "they have good players, a lot of them" they say it's the coaching, or culture change or belief in one another- the 49ers haven't won with smoke and mirrors it's been drafting very very well.

Oh, I thought you titled the thread smoke and mirrors because that was your opinion. Misunderstanding.

no one ever just flat out says "they have good players, a lot of them" they say it's the coaching, or culture change or belief in one another- the 49ers haven't won with smoke and mirrors it's been drafting very very well.

Ya they have drafted well but when they had Singletary as their HC they couldn't win. With what ever changes Harbaugh has made that is what has made the players better.

It's all about chemistry ! Chemistry of players, scheme, & coaching if one is off your screwed !!

Thats why the Pats have been so good for so long !!

Ya they have drafted well but when they had Singletary as their HC they couldn't win. With what ever changes Harbaugh has made that is what has made the players better.

It's all about chemistry ! Chemistry of players, scheme, & coaching if one is off your screwed !!

Thats why the Pats have been so good for so long !!

Yep.

I can think of only two mediocre coaches who won Super Bowls; George Seifert and Barry Switzer.

Seifert won it with the team that Bill Walsh assembled and trained.

Switzer won it with the team that Jimmy Johnson assembled and trained.

There are lots of talented teams out there. Some win championships and others underachieve.

Yet you still have people who like to say that the players make the coach.

The 49ers had other head coaches with the exact same talent and sucked. Alex Smith was a huge bust that the 49ers couldn't find a trade for, and Harbough came in and he turned that bust into a playoff caliber QB.

He hired the right assistants, ran the proper schemes for the current player personnel. Being an ex NFL QB for 14 seasons taught him how to run an NFL offense. He also coached Andrew Luck in college. I'd say that team going to the (13-3) NFC championship game during the same year they hired a new HC and coaching staff, along with the strike shortened off season showed me it was all coaching.

The 49ers have some top talent for sure, but don't forget that talent doesn't get noticed if the team only goes 6-10 like they did the year before Harbough was hired. They had 2 players in the pro bowl in 2010 Justin Smith & Patrick Willis. In 2010 Alex Smith started 10 games and threw 14 TD's with 10 INT's. the 49ers went 3-7 with him at QB.

Yeah, But Harbaugh had a ton of High Round Draft Picks to work with, We don't