Why the final Niners play was definitely NOT holding

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://profootballta...ee-ran-into-me/

"He ran directly into me," Smith said of Crabtree in an interview on ESPN 102.3 in Denver, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "I had inside leverage. He ran into me. So once he did that and tried to push off . . . I had to make contact. That was on him. He didn't run a fade; he didn't get away. He could have just ran and pivoted out or faded away from the ball, but he didn't. He ran into me so he could make contact to push off to create separation, and I didn't let that happen."

Very obvious that Crabtree ran into Smith at the 2:25 mark of the following video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap2000000136915/Sound-FX-Ravens-win-Super-Bowl-XLVII

http://profootballta...ee-ran-into-me/

"He ran directly into me," Smith said of Crabtree in an interview on ESPN 102.3 in Denver, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "I had inside leverage. He ran into me. So once he did that and tried to push off . . . I had to make contact. That was on him. He didn't run a fade; he didn't get away. He could have just ran and pivoted out or faded away from the ball, but he didn't. He ran into me so he could make contact to push off to create separation, and I didn't let that happen."

Smith said that's the way Crabtree plays the game, and that as a cornerback playing against Crabtree you have to stand your ground.

"He likes to run into you and then push you off," Smith said. "I'm kind of taught to not let that happen. . . . And that's the kind of way the game was played that day so the refs just let it play out that way."

Smith said he has watched the play several times and that he's sure he didn't deserve a penalty.

"If you look at the play closely, you see him kind of push off of my helmet immediately. So as a DB, what do you do?" Smith said. "If he's pushing off you've got to make sure you got some type of grip so he doesn't push off of you. If I never touch him at all and he catches the ball, then it'd be San Francisco winning and why didn't Jimmy make that play? So I'm happy with the way it turned out."

Nice find.

i kind of hate the the look at one call under a microscope as if it happened in a vacuum. this holding call is moot if the refs don't botch the roughing the kicker call, missed field goal, and SF needs another possession even with the TD. there were bad calls all night long, fix all of them and you most likely get the same result.

A holding call on the safety was moot. A flag would have netted the same result. In fact the lineman were instructed by their coach to hold cause it would have had same result and actually allowed more time for punter to waste.

That being said, officiating is a joke in the NFL.

Wouldn't a holding penalty have been enforced on the free kick thus moving them back 10 yards? Then if Ginn fair catches a short kick they can get a free kick for a FG to tie?

the reason it wasnt called was because crabtree ran right into him...setting himself up for the pushoff. the refs saw this and didnt bite.He plowed right into the DB. Good non call.

-and after seeing that replay the non-call was even better looking.

Edited by Tcali