(LAMP)I am gonna gripe about people bitching

The Poojer

as i sit here at circuit city with a customer and an associate bitching back and forth about the outsourcing of service that we have. i get so sick and tired of listening to it. I will make a deal with all of y'all that B word about it....careful this is gonna be like a bledsoe argument.....if y'all will agree to pay the higher costs associated with us high priced americans doing the work, then we will take it all back in. but you can't have it both ways. i know it is a hassle, but it is what the general consuming population demanded. ok, enough bitching!

as i sit here at circuit city with a customer and an associate bitching back and forth about the outsourcing of service that we have.  i get so sick and tired of listening to it.  I will make a deal with all of y'all that B word about it....careful this is gonna be like a bledsoe argument.....if y'all will agree to pay the higher costs associated with us high priced americans doing the work, then we will take it all back in.  but you can't have it both ways.  i know it is a hassle, but it is what the general consuming population demanded.  ok, enough bitching!

196041[/snapback]

Actually, it makes alot more sense for companies like Circuit City not to setup their own infrastructures but to contract with entities located locally who already have the expertise. It's outside their core competency (moving product) and would likely involve a huge bureaucracy plus tremendous overhead.

I had a service contract on my first CD player, over 10 years ago, with Sears. At the time they did do their own in house repairs. The contract covered one cleaning and alignment every year. The first time I took it in, the guy looks at me and goes "Alignment? What's that?". That's the last time I ever took it in for any service.

I have no problem paying higher prices if it means that jobs stay in America. Nobody else is looking out for the American worker, so we have to do it ourselves. I've been boycotting Walmart for a couple of years to protest their increasing use of Chinese products. I realize that it's too late for some industries, but whenever possible I buy American, even if it costs more.

I had a service contract on my first CD player, over 10 years ago, with Sears. At the time they did do their own in house repairs. The contract covered one cleaning and alignment every year. The first time I took it in, the guy looks at me and goes "Alignment? What's that?". That's the last time I ever took it in for any service.

196081[/snapback]

Those service contracts are the biggest scam going.

Bought one for my new Sony Wega TV a few years back. Had a problem with color purity and they sent a guy out to look at it. This boob could'nt change the belt on a washing machine, let alone work on a state of the art (at the time) television.

Bag those service contracts. With home consumer goods, if it doesnt break within the 90 day factory warranty period, chances are way over 95% it isnt going to.

as i sit here at circuit city with a customer and an associate bitching back and forth about the outsourcing of service that we have.  i get so sick and tired of listening to it.  I will make a deal with all of y'all that B word about it....careful this is gonna be like a bledsoe argument.....if y'all will agree to pay the higher costs associated with us high priced americans doing the work, then we will take it all back in.  but you can't have it both ways.  i know it is a hassle, but it is what the general consuming population demanded.  ok, enough bitching!

196041[/snapback]

Dude, I called Dell.

Couldn't understand a word the fellow was saying.

The tech support call went to India.

I would pay extra for support if I could understand the fellow on the phone.

Dell already charges you extra for phone support after a short time.

Why pay for it all if you just get fustrated, you don't understand each other, and you don't get your problem solved?

PS: I have switched to all Apple machines, and their tech support has been great so far. And no viruses and spyware!

Willis and Shaud: Thunder and Lighting in 2005

The tech support call went to India.

196147[/snapback]

India is the new HOT spot for call centers. They pay like $1/hr, and it costs minimal to set these centers up. Virtually all the telephone solicitation calls I get at home are from India, especially the new credit card calls. They caller sits there and stamers for 10-20 seconds trying to pronounce my last name. What a joke

I have no problem paying higher prices if it means that jobs stay in America.

I would pay extra for support if I could understand the fellow on the phone.

Right or wrong, not a lot of people practice what they preach in that sense. I read an article about an accounting firm that did a lot of outsourcing (they outsource a ton of accounting these days). They told customers they could have their returns back in 9 days and they'd be done in the US, or 2 days from India. Something like 90% of the people chose the India way.

I'm hiring people to do some projects right now and get a ton of responses from India. It's tempting but so far I'm staying here.

India is the new HOT spot for call centers.  They pay like $1/hr, and it costs minimal to set these centers up.  Virtually all the telephone solicitation calls I get at home are from India, especially the new credit card calls.  They caller sits there and stamers for 10-20 seconds trying to pronounce my last name.  What a joke

196166[/snapback]

And people aren't happy with the results they get from "Off shore" tech support.

From PC Mags new survey:

"But all is not well. The average satisfaction ratings for both tech support and repairs have dropped dramatically since last year. In other words, your machine was less likely to need support or repairs this year, but if it did, you were likely to be dissatisfied. Many readers complained about poor phone support—especially reps who didn't speak English well—and made negative comments about offshore support. I don't oppose outsourcing in general, but I do believe that PC vendors have a responsibility to provide effective technical support. In this area, they are letting us down"

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1625956,00.asp

196041[/snapback]

Maybe you won't have to worry about it when custumers take their business to companies that use American speaking support firms.

I care about American jobs and workers, but everytime I look around I see CEO's VP's and other higher ups grabbing outrageous bonuses, making moves to appease share holders, and then sticking it to the little guy in the form of health care costs, smaller salaries, less vacation/sick/holiday time, no/little retirement benefits, and outsourcing.

Stop handing out stupid salaries and insane bonuses to white collar workers 1st then come back to me and tell us not to B word. So much money is wasted making a few people rich while many of us get the raw end of the deal.

When a job gets outsourced to a place like India there are quite a few white collar employees raking in extra bonus money and getting promoted for doing so while 100's of jobs dissapear from home.

Stop handing out stupid salaries and insane bonuses to white collar workers 1st then come back to me and tell us not to B word. So much money is wasted making a few people rich while many of us get the raw end of the deal.

When a job gets outsourced to a place like India there are quite a few white collar employees raking in extra bonus money and getting promoted for doing so while 100's of jobs dissapear from home.

there is also the argument that if they didn't outsource the call centers to India, the prices would be higher and the company wouldn't do as well and you would lose your job. Then you'd be saying "those damn idiots making all that money can't even keep us profitable".

the average consumer buys on price, and that's the truth.

all's i am saying is that accept the higher costs and lets get the jobs back to the higher demanding americans, but don't start bitching about it the minute the costs start to increase.

196349[/snapback]

I guess competitive pricing and understandable tech support can not coexist. I guess this is what passes for the American spirit today. Get off it, you're not winning this argument.

I'm not a big fan of outsourcing myself. When we lost the manufacturing jobs to foreign countries, I kept hearing about how the U.S. was becoming a "service economy"--as though losing manufacturing jobs would create service jobs. Now service jobs like customer support are being shipped overseas. So too are programming jobs and other high quality jobs. If there are no jobs left for Americans, the economy will collapse.