I talked to several NFL Scouts today about the QB's and who is #1?

When I listened to the Rob Johnson interview Rob was asked what kind of QB he thought Barkley would end up being in the NFL. You would think Rob would strongly endorse a fellow USC player. Rob hesitated and then said he wasn't sure and he noted that Barkley has always had an issue with throwing a lot of interceptions both in college and as far back as his high school days. I am no expert on QB's but that made me wonder if this is who I want as my QB with the Bills.

hmmm that is interesting however he threw 48 ints total in college on 1562 attempts which equals out to 1 about every 32 attempts. Tony Romo 1:34, Drew Brees 1:35, Andrew Luck 1:34, Fitz 1:32. His best year he threw 7 ints on 468 attempts which would put him at 1:63 attempts which would rank with the NFL leaders this year (Rodgers 1:69). Interesting thing to pay attention to but his Junior year was exceptional to me and enough for me to be in his camp.

It was a long time ago, but I recall that Dan Marino was extremely highly regarded after his Junior year at Pitt, then had a sub-par Senior year and fell to the bottom of the first round. He turned out OK, though. Maybe the same thing will happen to Barkley. I saw USC play a lot this year, and they had a lot of problems, not least of which was horrific coaching from Lane Kiffen and his daddy.

Interestingly enough I had this conversation with a Dolphins fan friend of mine. Said exactly this. How crazy that Todd Blackledge and Tony Eason went 1/2 a round ahead of him! As others have stated if he came out last year EVERYONE would have been on board with drafting him. Then the team lost #4 pick (and his security blanket) Matt Kalil and it was a huge blow. These are not Rob Johnson's Trojans as they only put 3 players in the draft last year (Kalil, Perry #28, and a 4th rounder), This year they will put 4 or 5 in the draft. He has succeeded with limited talent around him but this year the line play was to much to overcome.

The browns are set with Brandon Weedon? The raiders are set with Carson Palmer? If chip Kelly is planning on going with Vick, the eagles are set, until he gets hurt. Then he's forced to go with Foles, who has limited mobility and is unlikely to fit his system. The lions are set.::

I think the Borwns are set with Weedon, he showed tremendous progress at the end of the year. 4 of his last 5 games were above 60% completion and he threw 5 tds against 3 ints. He was a first rounder last year and I would be surprised if they gave up on him so early. The Raiders may not be set with Carson Palmer but they did invest a lot in getting him as well as Terrelle Pryor so they may not want to devote any more resources to the position. As for Kelly and the Eagles, Vick is a great fit and maybe Manuel for them in the second but they will not go qb in the first. Outside of Manuel though there isn't really a qb for his system. The lions are definitely set as you stated. That leaves KC, Jax, and Arizona. (all of this obviously is imo)

I agree with Smith as the only viable option, i just hope that he is not the guy for us.

Chris Kouffman@ckparrot

Reality is Doug Marrone viewed Matt Barkley as the best QB on the college landscape even when Luck and Griffin were playing. That's his guy.

Check this out this is from the guy in the Orlando Sentinenial

Man I hope so!!! I'd be happy with Barkley, Nassib, Smith, or Manuel from this draft. Nobody else really does it for me and Glennon has bust written all over him to me (so does Wilson).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barkley is by far the most impressive quarterback in this draft, highest upside

No he isn't. He doesn't have good intangibles. He is not the strong articulate leader you need leading your franchise in today's NFL. When I see him speak at press conferences, he is timid and not well spoken; not exactly the kind of guy people rally around. Also, I do not attest to watching a ton of his games but when I did watch him, I was never too blown away with his play.

I don't want him. I don't care what any scout says. If they think he's an elite prospect then they can't see the forest for the trees. Buddy will not draft him. Mark my words. He's not a leader.

No he isn't. He doesn't have good intangibles. He is not the strong articulate leader you need leading your franchise in today's NFL. When I see him speak at press conferences, he is timid and not well spoken; not exactly the kind of guy people rally around. Also, I do not attest to watching a ton of his games but when I did watch him, I was never too blown away with his play.

I don't want him. I don't care what any scout says. If they think he's an elite prospect then they can't see the forest for the trees. Buddy will not draft him. Mark my words. He's not a leader.

LOVE this lol, this poster cares not what actual NFL scouts say - his opinion is far more educated/knowledgable (even though he readily admits he hasent watched him play much haha) than people who are paid to be in the business

i love TBD

LOVE this lol, this poster cares not what actual NFL scouts say - his opinion is far more educated/knowledgable (even though he readily admits he hasent watched him play much haha) than people who are paid to be in the business

i love TBD

I wouldn't believe a word any paid NFL scout says this time of year. Especially what they say about QBs.

i love TBD

Awesome! I don't know what I'm talking about but dammit I'm right and nobody can tell me otherwise! Lol

Only QB i don't have an opinion on is Tyler Wilson just haven't watched him play.

Not suprised about Barkley, everytime I watch the guy play i see a guy who can make all the throws and will compete untill the end. How can you say after watching 2-3 press conferences that this kid absolutely isn't a leader? If we wanna judge like that, I've seen 2-3 from Geno Smith that are horrible.

Only people who will know about the leadership abilities are NFL scouts

And about the whole USC thing. All these kids are different who cares?

Bray IMO has the most tools out of anyone in this draft class. Idk why people consider him a headcase but if he is sitting there in the 3rd-4th round I pick him up immediatly. Huge arm, nice and tall in the pocket. Doesnt make very good reads but to me it seems like he just trusts his arm too often.

I'd be happy with Barkley, Wilson and Bray. Think they all have the potential to be elite NFL QB's.

Smith I'm very borderline on. He doesnt handle pressure well. People talk like he has RG3's athletic ability but it's not even close. He can make all the throws but he comes from a spread system.

Nassib and Glennon at least in the 1st round would kill me.

why can't this be 2014? Bridgewater FTW.

I agree with Smith as the only viable option, i just hope that he is not the guy for us.

Chris Kouffman@ckparrot

Reality is Doug Marrone viewed Matt Barkley as the best QB on the college landscape even when Luck and Griffin were playing. That's his guy.

Check this out this is from the guy in the Orlando Sentinenial

all things considered with the pressure 'cuse was getting on him, he did have a pretty good game against them. Needs to learn to eat a sack sometimes, but that's coachable

all things considered with the pressure 'cuse was getting on him, he did have a pretty good game against them. Needs to learn to eat a sack sometimes, but that's coachable

You should look at his 2011 game against Syracuse. He had an OL and absolutely torched them.

It was a long time ago, but I recall that Dan Marino was extremely highly regarded after his Junior year at Pitt, then had a sub-par Senior year and fell to the bottom of the first round. He turned out OK, though. Maybe the same thing will happen to Barkley. I saw USC play a lot this year, and they had a lot of problems, not least of which was horrific coaching from Lane Kiffen and his daddy.

I've only seen a few plays by Barkley but it seems to me that he's a very ordinary prospect from a physical/measurables standpoint.

That differs from Marino who everyone knew had immense natural talent for the position.

Barkley's average measurables also means that he needs to have a lot of great intangibles to become a great quarterback. I don't know how well he's stocked in the intangible department.

That's why I'm not sold on Barkley.

Barkley's average measurables also means that he needs to have a lot of great intangibles to become a great quarterback. I don't know how well he's stocked in the intangible department.

We won't have an answer on this till he gets put thru the "bed a CBS employee while married" skills competition.

I've only seen a few plays by Barkley but it seems to me that he's a very ordinary prospect from a physical/measurables standpoint.

That differs from Marino who everyone knew had immense natural talent for the position.

That's why I'm not sold on Barkley.

I'm not necessarily sold on Barkley, either. However, as of last year at about this time, he was very highly regarded and considered a shoe-in to go in the top 5 of the draft, possibly even before RG III. That tells me he was probably better than an "ordinary prospect from a physical/measurables standpoint." Obviously, he did not have a great year in 2012. I'm suggesting that (1) it could be because of the crappy coaching he was subjected to at USC and (2) Marino is a good example of a guy who thrived in the pros despite a lousy senior year in college and slipping in the draft. I suppose we'll find out more about Barkley's measurables at the combine. He looked really good at times this year (against Oregon, for example) and at times he looked confused and shell-shocked.

Edited by mannc

I would love to get a rookie and a vet, but i can live with fitz

With no rookie involved in a competition?

I can't think of a worse decision this team could make than to not address the QB situation with at least some competition for Fitz. And that's still awfully unsatisfying. We'd be talking three regimes that get the chance to see what Fitz can do. Has any QB gotten that many lives in the NFL with as little success?

Why do people keep saying this? IMO, the Browns, Eagles, Raiders, and Lions are set at QB and will not be drafting one.

Neither of the new HC's of the Eagle / Browns drafted or endorsed QB's Michael Vick / Nick Foles & Brandon Weeden and both might want someone different to run their teams.

Fitz sucked and yet had a better rating then Weeden / Vick / Foles in both % and rating.

New Browns HC Rob Chudzinski, "I think it's premature to say that," Chud said. Although the strong-armed Weeden has the general skill set a Norv Turner/Chud offense requires, the new regime does not appear high on him. Freshly hired VP of Player Personnel Mike Lombardi was very critical of the Weeden pick while serving as an NFL analyst last season. The only other quarterbacks on the Browns' roster are Colt McCoy and Thaddeus Lewis.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/254549/chudzinski-wont-commit-to-weeden-for-2013

Chip Kelly 56-7 at Oregon might not want either Vick or Foles to run his fast paced, spread offense with the Eagles.

"Vick is also due $15.5 million in 2013 with another $15.5 million coming in 2014, and his play has been on a steady decline since his return to prominence in 2010 when he wrested the starting job from Kevin Kolb"

Talk about injuries, Vick has played in only ONE complete 16 game season in his 9 years in the NFL. Vick is also 33 years old. Foles is more a pocket passer, and not a running QB like Kaepernick, Wilson, and RG3

The Raiders that injury to Carson Palmer is worse then everyone first thought, but who knows. "Palmer signed a four-year deal with the Raiders that goes through 2016, however the final two seasons are voidable. According to National Football Post, the Raiders may be" looking beyond Palmer for their quarterback needs.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/12/28/3811638/nfp-carson-palmer-may-be-out-of-oakland-after-this-year

Chiefs, Jags, Raiders, Eagles, Browns, Cards all pick before Buffalo and all could want a QB. The Lions are the only team to be solid at QB with Matthew Stafford

I'm not necessarily sold on Barkley, either. However, as of last year at about this time, he was very highly regarded and considered a shoe-in to go in the top 5 of the draft, possibly even before RG III. That tells me he was probably better than an "ordinary prospect from a physical/measurables standpoint." Obviously, he did not have a great year in 2012. I'm suggesting that (1) it could be because of the crappy coaching he was subjected to at USC and (2) Marino is a good example of a guy who thrived in the pros despite a lousy senior year in college and slipping in the draft. I suppose we'll find out more about Barkley's measurables at the combine. He looked really good at times this year (against Oregon, for example) and at times he looked confused and shell-shocked.

Don't you think at the collegiate level you have to focus more on their good games as a sign of potential and give them a pass (at least more so than pros) on the bad ones? These are often full time students playing alongside students, with rosters that can turn over a lot every year. They simply can't be expected to be as prepared and perform as consistently week to week as pros.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

To be honest with you Matt Barkley is a very polished quarterback. He has been running a pro system for 4 straight years. He has shown improvement every year minus this year with the injury and missing two games. Barkley I think has to be the pick at 8 if available. I really can't see how we would pass on him unless we went for different positional need