Rank The DE's in the Draft

Astrobot

Oh jeez you just pissed off Ramius bc you just insulted a beloved Florida stater.

Why do you view him as dumb?

I dont are what Astro thinks about Werner. But i am interested about where his "Werner is dumb" comment came from. I've never heard anything of the sort.

thats a good point when considering who we would potentially draft from this list. The versatilty aspect to move around during down sets, not coming off the field. Same with out next generation of mlbs. 3 down guys.

So a pass rusher who can line up from either tight, outside, standing or hand down is best case scenario.

I feel like a kitty cat because i am scared off by Jones' back. I dont want to watch that.

But he is the man i would pick. As the rest of the league would i suppose.

Old timer i wish you would avoid comparing any potential pick to a Maybin debacle.

Just upsets my stomach a bit.

We can Never afford another mistake like that on multiple levels .

Agreed that we can't afford another failed high pick. That is why I said that the similarities in their rise to college prominence was a concern. I will admit that I was impressed with Ansah's play in the Senior Bowl (after a reportedly weak week in the practices), but picking a guy whose college coaches didn't think was good enough to start heading into his final year has to be a risky proposition.

Agreed that we can't afford another failed high pick. That is why I said that the similarities in their rise to college prominence was a concern. I will admit that I was impressed with Ansah's play in the Senior Bowl (after a reportedly weak week in the practices), but picking a guy whose college coaches didn't think was good enough to start heading into his final year has to be a risky proposition.

Fair enough sir. Valid point

I like Okafor as well because he's versatile., and so is DC Pettine. If offenses don't know how you'll line up by the personnel you have in there, that's good for us. Okafor, of all of the players [with the exception of Jarvis Jones], shows no fall-off by placing him at another position.

Referring to your sig, I'd be happy with that draft. Adding Jordan and Brown would be ideal. Best case scenario. Love it. If nassib falls to rd 3, it's a no brainer. Alford,Harper and Williams to round it out would be sweet, but I can't imagine that Marrone doesn't select an OL at all.

Edited by NewEra

Adding Jordan

I see a few people here that like Dion Jordan at #8, you guys are going to have to help me out here. I watched about 4 or 5 Oregon games this year and I didn't even really notice him on the field. His stats show him with only 5 sacks, mostly against cupcake teams like Tennessee Tech and Washington State. He only has 2 years at the DE position (started as TE) and I read Oregon had to create a special hybrid role to use him as a stand-up pass rusher. At 239 he's undersized even for a 3-4 OLB. I don't throw around the Maybin comparison lightly (it's the ultimate insult), but this guy fits that mold minus the production.

Which game sold you on Jordan?

I see a few people here that like Dion Jordan at #8, you guys are going to have to help me out here. I watched about 4 or 5 Oregon games this year and I didn't even really notice him on the field. His stats show him with only 5 sacks, mostly against cupcake teams like Tennessee Tech and Washington State. He only has 2 years at the DE position (started as TE) and I read Oregon had to create a special hybrid role to use him as a stand-up pass rusher. At 239 he's undersized even for a 3-4 OLB. I don't throw around the Maybin comparison lightly (it's the ultimate insult), but this guy fits that mold minus the production.

Which game sold you on Jordan?

When I have time I'll dig up some video for you.

As for stats, I think Clay Matthews had 4.5 sacks as a senior. Stats mean zilch to me.

I don't know which games I saw of Jordan's but he was unstoppable. The only thing preventing him from sacks was the QB panic throwing the ball away.

I commented repeatedly about Maybin that there was no videotape of him on Youtube, only the Rose Bowl game against USC where he essentially sucked. Many people here were very skeptical of Maybin because there was no visual proof of his skills AND because he was a one-year wonder. I didn't like the Maybin pick but hoped that the Bills were right about him.

As for Jordan, when you watch the video you'll see a freakish athlete (Aldon Smith, Jevon Kearse) who seems to defy the laws of physics. His length, speed, quickness and agility are elite. Few if any can turn the corner like this guy with his body lean incomparable to my memory.

I believe he was even used as an offensive rusher and receiver from scrimmage getting TDs in both roles.

Yes he has to bulk up but if you're measuring this guy conventionally you'll fail to understand him.

edit: FWIW, I loved Aldon Smith leading up to the draft last year, and publicly had him ahead of Robert Quinn who I also liked.

While Quinn will become a fine player, mine was a distinct minority viewpoint.

As long as we draft a pass rusher rather than a run stuffer, I'm good.

With Pettine talking about shifting 3/4-4/3 fronts, I'm not sure the two are mutually exclusive. Versatility is key here. Demontre moore makes hell o' tackles at various spots on the field. Defensively speaking he's Johnny-on-the-spot. If I were looking for a 4-3DE or 3-4OLB I'd move him way up there. -Kid's got a whole buncha game.

In most cases I would agree with you, but what makes Ansah's situation even more impressive is that Ansah was on the BYU track team, and never even played football until his college track coach suggested he play football, his sophomore year in COLLEGE. He jeans just began playing football just a few years ago. Oh and he use to run the 200 meters for BYU and ran it in 22 seconds

The most versatile DE's (Demontre Moore, Dion Jordan) are still in the conversation as BPA at #8, as are college DE's who will be NFL OLB's (Jarvis Jones, Mingo, Montgomery). If many of these are gobbled up at #1-7, then BPA might be at another position (LT, CB, QB). Nobody sane will make a judgment about this draft until they see a minimum of 3 Bills picks.

In most cases I would agree with you, but what makes Ansah's situation even more impressive is that Ansah was on the BYU track team, and never even played football until his college track coach suggested he play football, his sophomore year in COLLEGE. He jeans just began playing football just a few years ago. Oh and he use to run the 200 meters for BYU and ran it in 22 seconds

Hard not to be impressed with the way Ansah POWERS through blocks. He has alot of raw power, and understated intelligence to his game. This gives Ansah the edge over a guy like Jordan, who gets fended off by the occaisional tight-end, and sometimes stymied if he can't beat his man off the edge. The thirty extra pounds of muscle on Ziggy goes a hell of a long way.

Grooming Jordan as a sitch pass-rusher LB/TE essentially Vrabelizing him, makes the most sense thus far. -He's fast, but he's not coming off the edge on every down as a pure DE. That's just my opinion of this super-talented kid. I'd back away from him at the potential #8 spot, in favor of a run-stuffing LB with coverage skills. -Dion is versatile for sure, but doesn't have the type of versatility to make an immediate impact on the team that chooses him.