New gun control thread!

Don’t be fooled. Gun confiscation has already begun in NY

We’ve heard it over and over again, particularly on shows like Morning Joe. Anyone who thinks that the government is “coming to take your guns” is a paranoid loon, watching for black helicopters and guarding their sheep from soldiers.

Following the passage of “The SAFE Act” in New York State, Big Brother got busy pretty quickly grabbing up the guns. Of course nobody was reporting on it very much until they managed to collect them from the wrong guy and a judge made them give them back.

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Thursday, a state Supreme Court Judge ruled guns seized from David Lewis, 35, must be returned to him after he was incorrectly identified as violating the mental health provision of the SAFE Act.

“We know that from the health care agency to the State Police, there was some kind of breach,” said Lewis’ attorney, Jim Tresmond.

I don’t know how much more chilling that lede could be, really. This isn’t some worry about the government possibly confiscating guns. These are guns that were already confiscated by the government. But if you think that’s as bad as it gets, guess again. Here’s why his guns were taken.

Tresmond says his client was ordered to turn in his weapons last week because he was once on anti-anxiety medication, which is a violation of the SAFE Act. Wednesday, State Police informed the Erie County Clerk’s Office that it made a mistake when it said Lewis was in violation of the state’s new gun law.

For all of our more liberal leaning readers who continue to ask “what’s so bad” about universal background checks before we’ve even seen the specifics, this is your answer. In New York, you can be placed on a “list”of people with no Second Amendment rights on the say so of any doctor who has questions. And it already happened to David Lewis. Thankfully, he’s getting his guns back… for now.

http://hotair.com/ar...dy-begun-in-ny/

Number one question for those who favor “universal background checks” – how do you enforce them?

In other words, how will authorities know if an individual who possesses a firearm submitted to a background check?

If they can answer this question without needing to resort to a database, or a registry, then I am all ears.

Edited by B-Man

73000+ denials during NICS. 44 prosecutions. A .06% prosecution rate. Impressive by any standard.

I'm sure we need more gun laws and not better enforcement of current laws. Yeah, that's it.

Wait till the "gun show loophole'' [AKA private sales of any sort] background checks go into law. How can they enforce it with out full registration?

Wait till the "gun show loophole'' [AKA private sales of any sort] background checks go into law. How can they enforce it with out full registration?

Because it is a de facto registration. If they keep records of a sale, and transactions arent permitted, its basically registration.

73000+ denials during NICS. 44 prosecutions. A .06% prosecution rate. Impressive by any standard.

I'm sure we need more gun laws and not better enforcement of current laws. Yeah, that's it.

But you'll feel better on the inside when the new law is passed.

I was listening to Obama's hissy fit on CNN. It's always someone else's fault with this guy.

A leader gets that bill passed.

Well it isn't like he didn't try. He focused his attention on it to the exclusion of everything else. It is the most pressing issue facing the US today after all.

That was an embarrassment in the Rose Garden.

Petulant instead of a leader.

Bias instead of truth.

Emotion instead of reason.

He (and the media) just cannot see how it sounds when he blames big money and influence peddling, and then does the exact same thing himself.

Well it isn't like he didn't try. He focused his attention on it to the exclusion of everything else. It is the most pressing issue facing the US today after all.

He didn't try. He cruised around the country, Newtown parents in tow, holding notes from little children, and gave speeches to audiences so those people would call their representatives and push them to pass the legislation. In essence, the president did was the gun lobbies did. What he should have done is what he did to get Obamacare passed: pull in the key votes to his office, threaten/buy/shame them, and get the bill passed.

But no. He decided, again, to rely on his charm. His charm doesn't work any more. Unfortunately for him, that's all he has going for him. So he lost.

Result? A thin-skinned hissy fit.

If he had taken on his own base (Hollywood), and made an honest attempt for a comprehensive bill that would of included mental health, some sort of violence provisions along with the background checks, he would of been able to get the bill through. Rather than do that, what the left did was verbally focus exclusively on gun control, which of course caused the natural reaction of guns rights advocates to entrench themselves with their positions.

A missed opportunity.

He sure is a arrogant prick.

"All in all, this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," Obama said, accusing the gun lobby of lying about the bill.

Shameful? Because you can't get you're way? All the time?

I've seen him complain and whine before. Today was just very childish. There is no way that did him or any cause very much good. If I'm the NRA I just play that 20 minutes every time a new gun bills goes up. People will vote against just to see if Obama can be any more immature.

But why was Obama so angry? I wrote here that it was odd for Obama to make gun control the signature issue of his second term, since there has never been any chance of significant gun control legislation being enacted. It couldn’t possibly get through the House. So why, today, was he so irate about its failure in the Senate?

As we have noted more than once, pretty much everything Obama does is intended to stir up the Democratic Party’s base to drive turnout in 2014. Obama knows he can’t do much of anything as long as the GOP holds the House, so his primary goal is to stoke outrage on the left, in hopes that 2014 will look like 2008 and 2012, and not like 2010. So no doubt he hoped that some gun control measure–any gun control measure!–could get through the Senate, so that pressure, probably irresistible, could be brought to force a vote on the same proposal in the House. Not so that it might pass, but so that House Republicans would be on record voting against gun control. Obama could have raised countless millions from his fervently anti-gun base to go after the more vulnerable such Republicans. Now, the issue won’t even come up in the House, and Obama and the Democrats will have to find something else.

That, I think, is the best explanation for the profound disappointment that Obama showed today.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/04/a-lame-duck-squawks-but-why.php