Cats : The silent killers

Just Jack

i have a mouse problem in my house and could use a rent a cat. unfortunately, my dogs run off any cat that comes within 20 yards of the property and would probably kill one if i actually brought one in. but they won't hunt mice/rats. wonder why that is? they chase just about anything else. anyway, conventional mousetraps have been an utter failure. ultrasonic devices have helped a bit but there still in my house. poison worries me as i don't want to have a dad rodent stinking up the house and have to fish it out from the ductwork etc (and i don't want my dogs getting into it). anybody here an expert on mouse killing?

Have you tried putting peppermint oil on mothballs? I heard that can keep them away. But really I'm not sure. I also didn't have any luck w/ traps & thought the ultrasonic thing was sorta effective, although the exterminator told me those were a joke. As I was looking for peppermint oil I had a long conversation with a CVS guy about his largely unsuccessful war, which was kinda depressing.

Ultimately I just got a shelter cat. Problem solved plus I have an awesome friend. Tell your dog to get over it. :)

I'll just put up a sign "beware of dogs" then. :thumbsup:

yup,

that'll do it. add a rusted out truck with an nra sticker and gun rack parked in the driveway and your good to go :D adt would go out of business.

Edited by birdog1960

• 2 weeks later...

Good for the cat. Kid had it coming

How do we know? All we see is the child crying first. Why are they crying? Maybe the cat started it and the child threw (according to bbb) the haymaker at the cat to get even? The cat got the last laugh though...

Anyway... One thing about cats: Get as "big as possible." Unlike dogs, the cats back down. They almost always attack from behind and surprise position when the prey is smaller then them. Even with the big cats, don't people walk through jungles with masks (that look like faces) on the backs of their heads? The cat clearly knew the child in the video did NOT have a size advantage. The kid was doomed. Maybe next time they will wisen up and not throw a temper tantrum and take it out on the cat? Well, at least without getting a size and position advantage first. ;-)

Not the cat's fault the kid's a spoiled little brat.

Like I said. Who knows? Maybe the kid was crying because he got bit first?

I grew up on a farm in South Dakota, I think at one time we had between 30 to 50 cats. We never fed them, parents said they had to fend for themselves. I'd see them catch pigeons, cotton tails, rats, mice and snakes. Then my dad brought home a big bad dog that hated cats. He killed all of them he could, except the bigger tom cats, dog didn't mess with the toms.

Anyways, after the cats were exterminated we had rats, big rats all over the place. Pigeon population exploded too.

Today, we have two cats. They have a kitty door, so they can come and go as they want. They never go anywhere except the backyard. They don't know how to kill anything. They do know how to catch things. So far 3 rats and a flopping lizard tail(I don't where the cat got the tail) that they bring inside. The one cat comes in the house drops the rat in front, like "look what I did." I developed a routine to get rid of the rats, so no big deal.

Anyways, my cat story.

How do we know? All we see is the child crying first. Why are they crying? Maybe the cat started it and the child threw (according to bbb) the haymaker at the cat to get even? The cat got the last laugh though...

Anyway... One thing about cats: Get as "big as possible." Unlike dogs, the cats back down. They almost always attack from behind and surprise position when the prey is smaller then them. Even with the big cats, don't people walk through jungles with masks (that look like faces) on the backs of their heads? The cat clearly knew the child in the video did NOT have a size advantage. The kid was doomed. Maybe next time they will wisen up and not throw a temper tantrum and take it out on the cat? Well, at least without getting a size and position advantage first. ;-)

Like I said. Who knows? Maybe the kid was crying because he got bit first?

Cats aren't aggressive especiallty towards much larger animals. The cat was already provoked acting presumably from something the kid was doing. From his attempt to punch the cat in the head (which was life threatening) its clear the kid had no sense of what he was doing. Like I said , good for the cat.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Cats aren't aggressive especiallty towards much larger animals. The cat was already provoked acting presumably from something the kid was doing. From his attempt to punch the cat in the head (which was life threatening) its clear the kid had no sense of what he was doing. Like I said , good for the cat.

True. I totally agree. But, if I would have punched that cat in the head, they would have ran off. The only reason the cat fought back was because the child was small. That is all I was saying.

I mentioned earlier how my in law's cat bit the paper boy. What? The delivery boy prevoke him? Actually, that cat was destroyed by my father in law... My mother in law was bit after the paper boy incident. She was going to the garbage can and the cat lunged @ her and bit... Broke the skin too. She is also of small stature.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

True. I totally agree. But, if I would have punched that cat in the head, they would have ran off. The only reason the cat fought back was because the child was small. That is all I was saying.

I mentioned earlier how my in law's cat bit the paper boy. What? The delivery boy prevoke him? Actually, that cat was destroyed by my father in law... My mother in law was bit after the paper boy incident. She was going to the garbage can and the cat lunged @ her and bit... Broke the skin too. She is also of small stature.

The problem here is there seems to be an assumption that all cats are the same. That's not my experience. Some cats just might be crazy. My friend's Golden Retriever is nothing like someone else's Rottweiler.

Let me put it this way: OJ Simpson & I are both homo sapiens. That's about where our similarities end.

Sounds like the paperboy and your mother in law deserved it ... LOL

Sounds like the paperboy and your mother in law deserved it ... LOL

"Grammy" NO way! LoL... I have my doubts though... She was probably messing with it! LoL... That was during the whole Dr. Kervorkian (sp) thing... My brother in law started calling my father in law: Dr. CATvorkian! LoL... Paying for the paper boy's "medical bills" and going to NOCO every morning (discontinued paper service) for the BFLO News, man did he stew about that cat! When little old Grammy was taken down... That was the end of the line for that cat!

Now... I got three of those beasties running around my castle! LoL...