Donte Whitner 'drafted into the wrong system' and 'a bad s

Meathead

NEW ORLEANS -- Donte Whitner is one game away from comprehensive vindication.

The Buffalo Bills' polarizing 2006 first-round draft pick was voted to his first Pro Bowl and will win a world championship Sunday if the San Francisco 49ers beat the Baltimore Ravens in Super Bowl XLVII.

Whitner claimed he's the same player he was with Buffalo.

"I think sometimes players just get drafted into the wrong system and come into a bad situation," Whitner said, "and there's really nothing you can do about it except go out and work hard, let everybody talk and let the chips fall where they may."

Whitner left Buffalo with five interceptions, 19 breakups, 1.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and one recovery in 69 games.

In 31 regular-season games for San Francisco he has three interceptions, 15 pass breakups, three forced fumbles and four recoveries.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/01/donte-whitner-drafted-into-the-wrong-system-and-a-bad-situation.html

always thought he was a good player. wish he was still here

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I've watched quite a bit of his play with the niners and it's nothing to write home about. The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest and he's on a very popular team right now. He was drafted above his pay grade and that will always follow him around but I have no problem that Buffalo let him go.

NEW ORLEANS -- Donte Whitner is one game away from comprehensive vindication.

The Buffalo Bills' polarizing 2006 first-round draft pick was voted to his first Pro Bowl and will win a world championship Sunday if the San Francisco 49ers beat the Baltimore Ravens in Super Bowl XLVII.

Whitner claimed he's the same player he was with Buffalo.

"I think sometimes players just get drafted into the wrong system and come into a bad situation," Whitner said, "and there's really nothing you can do about it except go out and work hard, let everybody talk and let the chips fall where they may."

Whitner left Buffalo with five interceptions, 19 breakups, 1.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and one recovery in 69 games.

In 31 regular-season games for San Francisco he has three interceptions, 15 pass breakups, three forced fumbles and four recoveries.

http://blogs.buffalo...-situation.html

always thought he was a good player. wish he was still here

Its nice luxury to play safety on a stacked defense like the 49ers... Would Whitner have put up those same improved numbers on a crappy team like the Jags.

Whitner has a long history of over-evaluating himself...He's on a stacked team...There are plenty of other Strong Safeties who would see a major boost in their careers by simply going to San Fran...He hit the jackpot there...And good for him!!! I'm not saying Donte is terrible or anything like that...But I don't think he's anything near what he thinks he is as a player...Just my opinion... B-)

I don't remember seeing him tackle anybody. He would just use his shoulders to pop guys, and they would move on down the field.

my real name is walter cleaver and id like to sock you one for that comment

whitner made a lot of tackles and was a hard hitter. and though he wasnt super at coverage he also made more than his share of plays in the passing game

you and others only remember his bouncing off carriers bc its been repeated ad nausem by bills fans who ran him out of town. a large percentage of fans simply must target a scapegoat when a team underperforms and that guy was whitner for that season. if it wasnt for the poor treatment he received here he would probably have stayed

again, hes a very good not great player and i wish he was still here

A few things:

1) Ironically, Whitner's best season, by far was with the Bills in 2010.

2) I think people would have less of a problem with Whitner if he were drafted where he was supposed to be drafted-- 2nd or 3rd rounds. The fact that the Bills reached for him at #8 overall, bypassing Ngata, made people have higher expectations.

3) Whitner seems to be an average safety-- in decent position most of the type, smart guy, works hard. But he isn't a playmaker. The fact that he has 8 interceptions in his entire career (most of them thrown right to him) is proof of that. He's not a ball hawk; he's not a big-hitter; he's not a playmaker. He's just a fairly steady player. If you asked me whether I would rather have Whitner or Byrd or even Searcy, I would take Byrd and Searcy in a second. Even George Wilson, who had a down year last year, has made more big plays in his career.

A few things:

1) Ironically, Whitner's best season, by far was with the Bills in 2010.

2) I think people would have less of a problem with Whitner if he were drafted where he was supposed to be drafted-- 2nd or 3rd rounds. The fact that the Bills reached for him at #8 overall, bypassing Ngata, made people have higher expectations.

3) Whitner seems to be an average safety-- in decent position most of the type, smart guy, works hard. But he isn't a playmaker. The fact that he has 8 interceptions in his entire career (most of them thrown right to him) is proof of that. He's not a ball hawk; he's not a big-hitter; he's not a playmaker. He's just a fairly steady player. If you asked me whether I would rather have Whitner or Byrd or even Searcy, I would take Byrd and Searcy in a second. Even George Wilson, who had a down year last year, has made more big plays in his career.

if we wouldve gone ngata, and a trade up for whitner he wouldnt be killed like he does. if he were drafted late first round he likely wouldnt have been asked to bounce from SS to CB to SS to FS to... his first couple years. For some reason my gut says he was asked to move all over as a top ten pick, not solely based on talent (if that makes sense).

he will never be a guy that lves up to top 5 play, but if you watch a lot around the league hes definitely in the top 15 (ie better than average) without a doubt.

Whitner is going to be replaced on that defense sooner or later, I've watched many of his games on the 49ers and he is constantly caught biting and then getting caught out of place, and to the point of everyone here, he's on one of the best defenses in the NFL so his mistakes are hidden.

Pro bowl is voted on by your peers....players and coaches so most players believe it is more accurate and more credible than being voted All Pro by a bunch or writers. Arguments either way.

Anyways, Whitner is a very good player. In the end he and Byrd would have made a very nice tandem for years. Players in the league who game plan against him seem to think he is a good player....I'd take that endorsement a lot more than people on a chatroom who don't play against him every week or watch him play.

Yes, the Bills should have taken Ngata with that pick but it does NOT mean Whitner is not a good player. He will be a starter in the league for 10 years which makes it a VERY good pick.

Ironic how Marv oversaw two drafts that people blasted yet have produced 3 pro bowlers. I think it is more an indictment of turning over coaches and staffs every three years who have a different way they want to run things.

Good for Donte. He was always nice downtown when seen and friendly and seemed like a decent enough guy. He was a leader and cared a lot about the team and how we did....so I will take that anyday.