Donte Whitner 'drafted into the wrong system' and 'a bad s

Meathead

No, the rankings are basically compiled by assigning a grade to each player on every play. The grading system is explained in detail here:

http://www.profootba.../about/grading/

Safeties are graded based on Pass Rush, Coverage, Run Defense and Penalties, the same as any other defensive player. The total of these grades equals their overall grade for the player.

Safeties 1-7:Overall/Pass Rush/Coverage/Run D/Penalty

1) Eric Weddle(SD) +27.7/+1.7/+14.9/+9.5/+1.6

2) Jairus Byrd(BUF) +23.7/-0.5/+20.0/+3.6/+0.6

3) Reshad Jones(MIA) +22.1/-0.1/+14.1/+7.0/+1.1

4) Kerry Rhodes(ARI) +16.0/-0.2/+8.6/+5.8/+1.8

5) Quintin Mikell(STL) +15.3/+8.0/-1.9/+8.5/+0.7

6) TJ Ward(CLE) +14.9/-0.2/+5.3/+11.1/-1.3

7) Reggie Nelson(CIN) +13.7/-1.0/+12.1/+1.2/+1.4

8) George Wilson(BUF) +12.7/+0.8/+7.4/+3.6/+0.6

34) Donte Whitner(SF) -1.8/-0.4/-2.5/-0.8/+1.9

According to PFF, Whitner's biggest contribution to the 49ers this year is that he didn't get flagged for penalties much, in fact he receievd the NFL's highest grade for safeties in this category...in every other area, he was below average(average is 0). That's enough for me. Whitner also allowed the 2nd highest QB rating in the NFL by a safety on passes thrown at him, with a 128.5 QB rating against, including an NFL worst 8 TD passes.

Fair enough.

Thanks for putting up with me grilling you about it. :thumbsup:

How long do you have the subscription with them for?

(Just in case I want to grill you over something else later.)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough.

Thanks for putting up with me grilling you about it. :thumbsup:

How long do you have the subscription with them for?

(Just in case I want to grill you over something else later.)

No problem, I love that site becuse its a completely unbiased system, not based on previous performance or name recognition, solely on what they did on the field...

Got a little under a year left, so feel free to grill me on anything you want ;-)

No, the rankings are basically compiled by assigning a grade to each player on every play. The grading system is explained in detail here:

http://www.profootba.../about/grading/

Safeties are graded based on Pass Rush, Coverage, Run Defense and Penalties, the same as any other defensive player. The total of these grades equals their overall grade for the player.

Safeties 1-7:Overall/Pass Rush/Coverage/Run D/Penalty

1) Eric Weddle(SD) +27.7/+1.7/+14.9/+9.5/+1.6

2) Jairus Byrd(BUF) +23.7/-0.5/+20.0/+3.6/+0.6

3) Reshad Jones(MIA) +22.1/-0.1/+14.1/+7.0/+1.1

4) Kerry Rhodes(ARI) +16.0/-0.2/+8.6/+5.8/+1.8

5) Quintin Mikell(STL) +15.3/+8.0/-1.9/+8.5/+0.7

6) TJ Ward(CLE) +14.9/-0.2/+5.3/+11.1/-1.3

7) Reggie Nelson(CIN) +13.7/-1.0/+12.1/+1.2/+1.4

8) George Wilson(BUF) +12.7/+0.8/+7.4/+3.6/+0.6

34) Donte Whitner(SF) -1.8/-0.4/-2.5/-0.8/+1.9

According to PFF, Whitner's biggest contribution to the 49ers this year is that he didn't get flagged for penalties much, in fact he receievd the NFL's highest grade for safeties in this category...in every other area, he was below average(average is 0). That's enough for me. Whitner also allowed the 2nd highest QB rating in the NFL by a safety on passes thrown at him, with a 128.5 QB rating against, including an NFL worst 8 TD passes, but I guess some can cling to this notion he is some top flight safety...the facts state otherwise pretty strongly...and I didn't even get into the more in depth ones in which he is also much worse than either Wilson or Byrd...

It was a big shock when the Bills passed on Ngata/Cutler to take Whitner. I had seen enough when I saw other teams game plan to isolate Whitner in coverage and cruise down the field for quick scores. From these stats, it doesn't look like he's morphed into something new and shiny either.

It was a big shock when the Bills passed on Ngata/Cutler to take Whitner. I had seen enough when I saw other teams game plan to isolate Whitner in coverage and cruise down the field for quick scores. From these stats, it doesn't look like he's morphed into something new and shiny either.

It really spells out how ridiculous the term "pro bowler" has become. It used to mean that a player was at the top of their position. Now it sometimes means that.....and sometimes means that they are merely popular.

This was my first thought. Whitner is not a difference maker. He makes the ocassional big hit on a receiver after a 25 yard gain, but he is not as good as the hype. And I personally just cannot stand his personality. I will never forget what a fool he made of himself during the whole tasering incident in Cleveland. He ran his mouth about how he was innocent and the facts would come out. Then he plead guilty. If he would just keep his mouth shut, I think fans would find him a lot more tolerable.

Bottom line: If Whitner did not play on Sunday, would the 49ers be significantly worse? I don't believe so.

Funny, the 49ers weren't Significantly worse with Alex Smith at QB, yet theres no one here thats going to say anything bad about Kaepernick

No problem, I love that site becuse its a completely unbiased system, not based on previous performance or name recognition, solely on what they did on the field...

Got a little under a year left, so feel free to grill me on anything you want ;-)

That site and rankings only proves one of two things

1) That Safeties are not important to a successful defence or

2) That you can make stats to rank players any way you want

Byrd and Wilson (a guy people are willing to let go) ranked in the top 10 for Safeties, yet the defence as a whole is one of the worst in the league?

Looking forward to seeing him throw up his hands in confused disgust after a Pitta touchdown Sunday.

/Yeah, haters gon' hate.

Hahaha thats perfect!

I don't watch many 9ers games, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis......and I usually see a TE catching a TD pass on Donte Whitner

All true, but what is interesting about him is that he has insight into what the Bills Organization is like, and has a big enough mouth to tell everyone. Some of it is bitterness, but a lot of it is probably an accurate assesment of the Bills.

The Bills suck, I've accepted it

All true, but what is interesting about him is that he has insight into what the Bills Organization is like, and has a big enough mouth to tell everyone. Some of it is bitterness, but a lot of it is probably an accurate assesment of the Bills.

Can't remember who the guy was, but it was a back-up O-lineman who went to the Steelers a few seasons ago (when DJ was still coach I believe)... he wasn't a great player, never made it to any Pro-Bowls or anything, but I remember reading some article about him in Pittsburgh. He said something to the effect of "the difference between playing for the Bills and the Steelers is night and day...I feel like I am in the NFL now...everything is first rate here"

Of course, take that with a grain of salt....new guy sucking up to his new team, or bashing his old team?

Can't remember who the guy was, but it was a back-up O-lineman who went to the Steelers a few seasons ago (when DJ was still coach I believe)... he wasn't a great player, never made it to any Pro-Bowls or anything, but I remember reading some article about him in Pittsburgh. He said something to the effect of "the difference between playing for the Bills and the Steelers is night and day...I feel like I am in the NFL now...everything is first rate here"

Of course, take that with a grain of salt....new guy sucking up to his new team, or bashing his old team?

There are several ex bills quoted saying something similar. One was Coy Wire when he went to Atlanta. He was pretty upfront about his Buffalo Bills experience.

Perhaps Jonathan Scott?

NEW ORLEANS -- Donte Whitner is one game away from comprehensive vindication.

The Buffalo Bills' polarizing 2006 first-round draft pick was voted to his first Pro Bowl and will win a world championship Sunday if the San Francisco 49ers beat the Baltimore Ravens in Super Bowl XLVII.

Whitner claimed he's the same player he was with Buffalo.

"I think sometimes players just get drafted into the wrong system and come into a bad situation," Whitner said, "and there's really nothing you can do about it except go out and work hard, let everybody talk and let the chips fall where they may."

Whitner left Buffalo with five interceptions, 19 breakups, 1.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and one recovery in 69 games.

In 31 regular-season games for San Francisco he has three interceptions, 15 pass breakups, three forced fumbles and four recoveries.

http://blogs.buffalo...-situation.html

always thought he was a good player. wish he was still here

Ya Know he better than Wilson. Just saying...