Bills' Worst Draft Ever...Try and Top this one

Here's a little game I like to call....."WTF was the front office thinking?". Since it is slow in the Bills news category and I am burned out with analysis of "what ifs" in the upcoming Draft 2013, I took a gander at the Bills' drafting history (as I am apt to do each year before our Draft) and doubt anyone can find a more depressing draft than 2000. Take a look and if you think you can beat it, please feel free.

2000 1 26(26) Bills Erik Flowers DE Arizona State 2000 2 27(58) Bills Travares Tillman DB Georgia Tech 2000 3 27(89) Bills Corey Moore LB Virginia Tech 2000 4 27(121) Bills Avion Black WR Tennessee State 2000 5 27(156) Bills Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech 2000 6 28(194) Bills Leif Larsen DT UTEP 2000 7 27(233) Bills Drew Haddad WR Buffalo 2000 7 45(251) Bills DaShon Polk LB Arizona

I think only the Bills may have been able to top that draft in futility? I don't have time enough to investigate it, but I wonder what the Bills draft looked like the year they drafted Mike Williams? I still question several of the recent drafts of the Bills...I like C.J. Spiller a lot don't get me wrong, but I still would have preferred a different pick at the time...if the coaching was strong enough we wouldn't have had to lose McGhee and then M. Lynch and we could've put our focus elsewhere.

I know I was p.o.'d when we bypassed B. Orakapo (Wash. DE..), Hali Ngnata, and both Russel Wilson and Kaepernick who both would've been my picks. I easily outperformed our own war room over the past 7 years and most of my players are perennial pro bowlers that unfortunately represent other teams! There is only two players that both the Bills and I selected in our Bills drafts and that is Jairus Byrd and Marcell Dareus. Although I'm thinking maybe Von Miller may have been a better pick than Dareus?

The shame of it all is that I outperform the Bills Hierarchy after studying 3 or 4 draft guides, watch some combine highlights & the senior bowl among a few other college games, read some press clippings, look at some user mock drafts, and after collecting all my information and analyzing it I make my draft boards. That just shows that if you take out the emotion, personal preferences, likes, dislikes, and stick to the available information based on performance, level of competition, measurables, add some red flags for injuries, behavior, and research reputations and personal characteristics of the draft class and take into account leadership roles & responsibilities you can draft very, very well without ever leaving your house!!! The Bills problem like many other teams is that they have to justify having positions for everything under the sun, and justify a budget towards each endeavor. Seriously, drafting requires a lot of thought, common sense, strategically taking a chance based on the averages of the results being in your favor, and then rolling the dice based on those percentages. If I only had the opportunity I WOULD make the Bills a dynasty in 2-4 years, the reason the Bills don't ever find the road to success is they over think themselves, get cute, are stubborn to their convictions, even when it's self-defeating, and repeat the same process on the next coaching administration. I'm impressed that they are now passing the reigns to Russ Brandon and maybe the Modus Operandi has changed? I can always determine the prudence of a team by their draft. I was outraged when we let Gronkowski slip through our hands....I wanted to kick in my T.V. when we passed on Orakapo.

There is a method when you build through the draft, but without drafting well you will never exceed mediocrity! Every year New England out drafts the Bills despite picking in the last 4 picks most years, they have the insight to find a way to find a way back into the first round and select twice half the time rather it be by trade or whatever! The Bills on the other hand draft anywhere from 4-11 most years and still haven't gotten a whole lot better!

The Bills will continue to be grouped with teams like Detroit, and Cleveland until the culture and top executives change their ways. I'm hoping that this is what happened with Russ Brandon taking on full responsibility of the Bills near future!!! Go Bills...

Change of culture+2 Good drafts+3 Good F/A Signings divided by 2 offseasons+current roster-all 3 current QB's= Superbowl !

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. That is insane. Out of an entire first round, who turned out to be an impact player in the pros? Lewis, Burress, Urlacher, Abraham, Peterson, Janikoswski, Pennington, Alexander, Hovan and Bulluck. I guess Shaun Ellis was OK. But even of those guys, none of them were insanely good except Urlacher. Perhaps the Raiders weren't so crazy taking Janikowski after all.

I think there is a collective sinking feeling around here that this year's draft could turn out a lot like this one.

Suan Alexander was one of the best running backs in the NFL for half a decade. He was a two time All-Pro. Urlacher and John Abraham were probably the only other players who had really successful NFL careers. But that draft was pretty meh outside of Brady being a late rounder. 2002 was probably one of the most ****ty drafts as well.

I think 2005 was the worst Bills draft of the 21st century, slightly worse than the 2000 draft, when you factor in Sammy Morris plus the lack of available talent in that 2000 draft pool. The 1st rounder in 2005 went to Losman because of the trade in 2004. And then the only remotely productive NFL player was the major reach in the 2nd round, Roscoe Parrish, a 5'0" 100 lb chronically injured WR who had a few very nice punt returns but that's it.

2007 and 2006 were nowhere near the disasters that 2000 or 2005 were. In 2007, we got a pro-bowl, top 5 RB in Lynch, and an above average quality MLB in Poz. Lynch has gotten more playing time than Morris because he was a better back. Morris was nothing more than a nice situational back.

In 2006 we got an above average (and pro bowl) SS, and a dominating DT. Just because Whitner never lived up to his draft spot doesn't mean he isn't a good SS.

Neither draft was a home run, but looking back they were both probably close to an "average" draft.

Out of your average draft of all teams, i'd bet most team get 2 (maybe 3) players that play in the league for 6-7 years or more. I think people have astronomical expectations out fo what constitutes a "good" draft. For example, most late round picks are out of the NFL after a season or 2, so i don't know why there's so much teeth gnashing over teams and the Bills cutting 6th and 7th round picks.

In 2006, the Bills had the 8th overall pick; which they used on Donte Whitner. Several years later, Whitner hit free agency in the prime of his career. This was a chance for general managers around the league to evaluate his play, and to offer him a salary consistent with what he'd proven over the past few years. He was offered the kind of salary normally associated with a quality backup SS, or else with a below-average starter. And it's not like he's become a whole new player after switching teams. His admission to the Pro Bowl was based more on name recognition and on a few highlight reel hits than on him suddenly starting to play at a Pro Bowl level.

In 2007, the Bills had the 12th overall pick. They used it on Marshawn Lynch, who was traded for a 4th + 6th rounder just a few years later. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a team to do more with the 12th overall pick than just that. One could make the case that the Bills got too little for Lynch in the trade, as shown by the good year Lynch just had for the Seahawks. But I'll want to see more than just one good year from him, before deciding that his level of post-Buffalo play will be consistently higher than what he brought to the Bills.

As for Sammy Morris: I'd argue that he was underrated, and deserved more playing time than he received.

Neither the 2006 nor 2007 drafts brought the Bills any good, long-term answers at any positions, except for Kyle Williams.

In 2006, the Bills had the 8th overall pick; which they used on Donte Whitner. Several years later, Whitner hit free agency in the prime of his career. This was a chance for general managers around the league to evaluate his play, and to offer him a salary consistent with what he'd proven over the past few years. He was offered the kind of salary normally associated with a quality backup SS, or else with a below-average starter. And it's not like he's become a whole new player after switching teams. His admission to the Pro Bowl was based more on name recognition and on a few highlight reel hits than on him suddenly starting to play at a Pro Bowl level.

In 2007, the Bills had the 12th overall pick. They used it on Marshawn Lynch, who was traded for a 4th + 6th rounder just a few years later. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a team to do more with the 12th overall pick than just that. One could make the case that the Bills got too little for Lynch in the trade, as shown by the good year Lynch just had for the Seahawks. But I'll want to see more than just one good year from him, before deciding that his level of post-Buffalo play will be consistently higher than what he brought to the Bills.

As for Sammy Morris: I'd argue that he was underrated, and deserved more playing time than he received.

Neither the 2006 nor 2007 drafts brought the Bills any good, long-term answers at any positions, except for Kyle Williams.

You're basing your entire argument on the faulty premise that not keeping players somehow makes them a bad draft pick, when its an entirely separate issue. You rate a draft pick on how good a player turns out to be, not on whether the team keeps him or whether he lives up to his draft position.

This draft is about the worst drafts of all time, and those 2 drafts weren't even close. No one is saying they are great, but when 2 drafts get you 4 quality players (1 great, 1 very good, 2 average), that's not horrible in the least. Whitner isn't great, but he's nowhere as bad as you portray him. You're simply still angry that the Bills drafted him, and letting that anger cloud your judgement. He's a solid SS that, as someone said earlier, probably ranks in the top half of SS's in the league.

As for Lynch, he's got 4 1,000 yard seasons in his 6 years in the NFL, including 1200 and 1500 yards in the past 2 seasons (to go with 23 TDs) for Seattle. He's only been getting better since we traded him.

Here's a little game I like to call....."WTF was the front office thinking?". Since it is slow in the Bills news category and I am burned out with analysis of "what ifs" in the upcoming Draft 2013, I took a gander at the Bills' drafting history (as I am apt to do each year before our Draft) and doubt anyone can find a more depressing draft than 2000. Take a look and if you think you can beat it, please feel free.

2000 1 26(26) Bills Erik Flowers DE Arizona State 2000 2 27(58) Bills Travares Tillman DB Georgia Tech 2000 3 27(89) Bills Corey Moore LB Virginia Tech 2000 4 27(121) Bills Avion Black WR Tennessee State 2000 5 27(156) Bills Sammy Morris RB Texas Tech 2000 6 28(194) Bills Leif Larsen DT UTEP 2000 7 27(233) Bills Drew Haddad WR Buffalo 2000 7 45(251) Bills DaShon Polk LB Arizona

What caught my eye immediately was that the Bills where ever so good they picked 26. So used now to seeing 3, 8 etc.

What caught my eye immediately was that the Bills where ever so good they picked 26. So used now to seeing 3, 8 etc.

Something tells me even if we had the 3rd pick we would have still taken Flowers. Like I said...I think the Bills' FO tries to act too "cutesy" in their picks sometimes (Graham, Maybin, etc) instead of going with BPA based on analytics/four year college record.

Then again, Jimmy Graham had limited college football experience and is a stud.

We just have a crappy record of drafting good, solid talent...

I think only the Bills may have been able to top that draft in futility? I don't have time enough to investigate it, but I wonder what the Bills draft looked like the year they drafted Mike Williams? I still question several of the recent drafts of the Bills...I like C.J. Spiller a lot don't get me wrong, but I still would have preferred a different pick at the time...if the coaching was strong enough we wouldn't have had to lose McGhee and then M. Lynch and we could've put our focus elsewhere.

I know I was p.o.'d when we bypassed B. Orakapo (Wash. DE..), Hali Ngnata, and both Russel Wilson and Kaepernick who both would've been my picks. I easily outperformed our own war room over the past 7 years and most of my players are perennial pro bowlers that unfortunately represent other teams! There is only two players that both the Bills and I selected in our Bills drafts and that is Jairus Byrd and Marcell Dareus. Although I'm thinking maybe Von Miller may have been a better pick than Dareus?

The shame of it all is that I outperform the Bills Hierarchy after studying 3 or 4 draft guides, watch some combine highlights & the senior bowl among a few other college games, read some press clippings, look at some user mock drafts, and after collecting all my information and analyzing it I make my draft boards. That just shows that if you take out the emotion, personal preferences, likes, dislikes, and stick to the available information based on performance, level of competition, measurables, add some red flags for injuries, behavior, and research reputations and personal characteristics of the draft class and take into account leadership roles & responsibilities you can draft very, very well without ever leaving your house!!! The Bills problem like many other teams is that they have to justify having positions for everything under the sun, and justify a budget towards each endeavor. Seriously, drafting requires a lot of thought, common sense, strategically taking a chance based on the averages of the results being in your favor, and then rolling the dice based on those percentages. If I only had the opportunity I WOULD make the Bills a dynasty in 2-4 years, the reason the Bills don't ever find the road to success is they over think themselves, get cute, are stubborn to their convictions, even when it's self-defeating, and repeat the same process on the next coaching administration. I'm impressed that they are now passing the reigns to Russ Brandon and maybe the Modus Operandi has changed? I can always determine the prudence of a team by their draft. I was outraged when we let Gronkowski slip through our hands....I wanted to kick in my T.V. when we passed on Orakapo.

There is a method when you build through the draft, but without drafting well you will never exceed mediocrity! Every year New England out drafts the Bills despite picking in the last 4 picks most years, they have the insight to find a way to find a way back into the first round and select twice half the time rather it be by trade or whatever! The Bills on the other hand draft anywhere from 4-11 most years and still haven't gotten a whole lot better!

The Bills will continue to be grouped with teams like Detroit, and Cleveland until the culture and top executives change their ways. I'm hoping that this is what happened with Russ Brandon taking on full responsibility of the Bills near future!!! Go Bills...

Change of culture+2 Good drafts+3 Good F/A Signings divided by 2 offseasons+current roster-all 3 current QB's= Superbowl !

We couldn't have taken Von Miller...he was selected by Broncos right before us as I recall.

I agree with your thoughts though. Glad your Draft Board turned out better than the Bills professionals...send in your resume'...it worked for George Costanza.

Of those 22 players in those years, we hit (I use that term loosely to mean "a player who actually contributed in some fashion consistently") on Josh Reed, Ryan Denney, Coy Wire, Lee Evans, JP Losman, Roscoe Parrish....that's 6 out of 22 players (27%) and that isn't even consistently good play...just consistent mediocre play.

I didn't think I could feel worse after the OP, but this might just take the cake.

Evans and Parrich were the only good players. That is 2 out 22.

Denney and Wire were too small and too slow to play in the NFL

Reed was just awful. Never made one signature play/catch his entire NFL career and guys around here think he was great

Losman was just dumb. Honestly how can they talk to him for more than 30 minutes and not realize he is mentally inadequate to play QB

I liked Corey Moore and he would have been a stud if Wade stuck around but Grego didn't like him after he got shot and didn't fit his "43" defense.

Yeah this was the one that came to mind...TU-RRIBLE (My Charles Barkley voice)!

Sammy Morris had a long career and I think Tillman caught on with another team(s) also but overall a bad group.