You think Spiller is fast?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

football......it was on the play he was tackled down the sideline I believe and tore up his hip

1991 playoff game vs the Bengals, week before "51-3"

Play he got injured on starts at 2:50...didn't appear serious at first, you can see him get up and walk (limping a little) after the play.

Do yourself a favor and turn the sound off for the intro...

Edited by Steve O

Spiller's Clemson teammate Jacoby Ford, now a Raiders wideout, is probably the NFL's fastest man.

The fastest guy I ever saw on a football field was Darrell Green who was 4-0 in the NFL's Fastest Man Competition. Green ran a timed 10.08 100 meters and barely lost a race to all-time sprint champion Carl Lewis. Green was actually winning the race but the 5 inches he gave up to Lewis proved decisive as Lewis had more top end and beat him at the tape.

Green had football speed as well as track speed, unlike someone like, oh TJ Graham. It's a different ballgame when you're wearing football shoes and pants, shoulder pads and a helmet. Some guys aren't the same athlete once they put on the armor. That's why it was so amazing seeing Tony Gonzales at 36 years old and 6'5" 250, convincingly stuffing the ball over the crossbar after his touchdown on Sunday.

When wearing football gear, Chuck Muncie a power back in the mold of Steven Jackson, was the fastest of Air Coryell's Chargers, faster than fleet receivers Wes Chandler, John Jefferson, and Charlie Joiner.

Bo Jackson probably ran just as fast in football gear as he did in shorts on a track. He was a once-in-a-lifetime athlete. Bo ran a hand-timed 4.12 at the combine. He gave up track and field after his sophomore year despite qualifying for the NCAA Championships in track. He wanted to concentrate on football and baseball. Had he concentrated on a career in track, who knows what he would have done.

football......it was on the play he was tackled down the sideline I believe and tore up his hip

Actually, it was baseball. He was already playing with KC Royals before he started his football "hobby" during the baseball offseason. His contract with the Raida's kicked in after the baseball season ended. I don't think he missed a game to injury those 3 years prior to the dislocated hip.

http://en.wikipedia....ry_and_comeback

Following surgery and rehabilitation on his injured hip, it was discovered that Jackson had avascular necrosis, as a result of decreased blood supply to the head of his left femur. This caused deterioration of the femoral head, ultimately requiring that the hip be replaced

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Bo Knows

He was my favorite running back when I was a kid. He and Barry will always be the best runners.

Thurman just had the hands though.....and spiller does too......that's what set them apart from the normal rbs.

this. Bo was my all time favorite back along with Barry.

IMO he was the most perfect RB of all time. Had the size, strength and power of Jim Brown. The speed and illusiveness that was unmatched by anyone but Barry. Just absolutely amazing to watch.

IMO if he would have committed full time to football and never gotten injured he would have destroyed every single rushing record that ever stood. He would have set the bar so high that it would never be broken.

Man I miss good football like this.

Actually, it was baseball. He was already playing with KC Royals before he started his football "hobby" during the baseball offseason. His contract with the Raida's kicked in after the baseball season ended. I don't think he missed a game to injury those 3 years prior to the dislocated hip.

That's exactly right. It meant he started pro football in October every year.

Spiller's Clemson teammate Jacoby Ford, now a Raiders wideout, is probably the NFL's fastest man.

The fastest guy I ever saw on a football field was Darrell Green who was 4-0 in the NFL's Fastest Man Competition. Green ran a timed 10.08 100 meters and barely lost a race to all-time sprint champion Carl Lewis. Green was actually winning the race but the 5 inches he gave up to Lewis proved decisive as Lewis had more top end and beat him at the tape.

Green had football speed as well as track speed, unlike someone like, oh TJ Graham. It's a different ballgame when you're wearing football shoes and pants, shoulder pads and a helmet. Some guys aren't the same athlete once they put on the armor. That's why it was so amazing seeing Tony Gonzales at 36 years old and 6'5" 250, convincingly stuffing the ball over the crossbar after his touchdown on Sunday.

When wearing football gear, Chuck Muncie a power back in the mold of Steven Jackson, was the fastest of Air Coryell's Chargers, faster than fleet receivers Wes Chandler, John Jefferson, and Charlie Joiner.

Bo Jackson probably ran just as fast in football gear as he did in shorts on a track. He was a once-in-a-lifetime athlete. Bo ran a hand-timed 4.12 at the combine. He gave up track and field after his sophomore year despite qualifying for the NCAA Championships in track. He wanted to concentrate on football and baseball. Had he concentrated on a career in track, who knows what he would have done.

I can of 3 guys with Olympic credentials who played in NFL:

Bob Hayes

Renaldo neamaya (sp, too lazy to look him up)

Willie gault

The first 2 were before my time. Gault I saw some with the 85 bears thing, but don't recall being blown away by his speed.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Though I can't claim to be a skilled analyzer of player skill or abilities....

....it seems to me that Spiller has astonishing acceleration but his top end speed is merely great.

He seems to go from zero to very fast in an instant.....but does not get much faster as he straight-line runs.

Do others see validity in my observations.....or am I mistaken?