Tim Brown is Losing His Mind

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He sounded pretty lucid to me. You can argue about his conclusion, but Jon Ritchie backs his story & the unnamed source contradicting him admits he doesn't know much, so why are you guys so sure he's mentally deficient? Is it because in the extremely limited knowledge & imagination of all of you, that you can't quickly conceive of a scenario where you would do that? Is that really it or is there more, because I must have missed the more.

Not so sure he is mentally deficient...but like I said, I find it easier to fathom that a bunch of guys get their ass kicked in a Super Bowl, the same bunch of guys can't stand their coach, and find it easier to explain that their coach, who they hate, did someting improper, causing them to lose... it defies logic that the head coach would go out of his way to lose a championship game. And, if there was a hint of gambling involved, you don't think the NFL would have investigated it?

Now, I can also fathom that Callahan changed some things up, maybe at the last minute, to counter what Gruden might be privy to.

The Raiders have traditionally had a devisive element on their team... I can see a bunch of guys siding with Gruden in his spat with the owner, and thinking of themselves as "Gruden's guys"....whichever coach, Callahan or any other, stepped into that mess was bound to have his detractors. From most accounts, Callahan was never a warm and fuzzy guy either, which wouldn't help his cause.

Funny how stories change over the years...you remember when our guys were getting their asses kicked, they swore up and down that they practiced hard, and were prepared..then, years later, they started saying things like "we partied too much"...

Apparently, Jerry Rice will weigh in on this on NFL Live.

Would be interested in hearing that.

Edited by Buftex

Sabotage is a very strong accusation on Tim Brown's part. The point of changing the game plan a Friday made no sense. Raiders could have installed a new game plan after the AFC Championship game. The only way to find the answer is to interview the staff and a majority of the players who were involved. Callahan has left Nebraska and the Raiders with those left behind bitter at him. This might color Mr. Browns view of the situation. Intriguing story nonetheless.

Jerry Rice is on ESPN NFL Live and backing up what Tim Brown said. As Arte Johnson said on Laugh In.....verrrrrrrrry interesting.

Edited by Nitro

Sabotage is a very strong accusation on Tim Brown's part. The point of changing the game plan a Friday made no sense. Raiders could have installed a new game plan after the AFC Championship game. The only way to find the answer is to interview the staff and a majority of the players who were involved. Callahan has left Nebraska and the Raiders with those left behind bitter at him. This might color Mr. Browns view of the situation. Intriguing story nonetheless.

Jerry Rice is on ESPN NFL Live and backing up what Tim Brown said. As Arte Johnson said on Laugh In.....verrrrrrrrry interesting.

you would have to hate yourself more than the owner to purposefully throw the game. talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

a waaaaaay more likely answer is that he over-coached and over-thought and made a dumb decision. if a head coach wants to throw a game, all it would take iis a handful of bad decisions, you wouldnt have to so widely scrap things. if he wanted to embarass the owner, there are far more effective, far less self damaging ways.

Edited by NoSaint

Rice buying into sabotage?

Rice buying into sabotage?

this board is all about the conspiracies lately.

even if rice is part of the players chatter on this one theres still a huuuuuuge gap between "did something dumb" and "did something dumb on purpose" in this case.

Isn't that the game when the raiders center went AWOL a couple of days before the super bowl? Rice could not say with any certainty that Brown is correct. Rice also mentioned that Callahan did not like him. So I got no impression that Rice buys into the BS that Brown is spouting. Apparently others here may have read his comments differently.

Yup. Rice said it, too. This NFL is becoming bizarro world. From PFT...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/22/jerry-rice-agrees-with-tim-brown-bill-callahan-sabotaged-us/

The bizarre controversy over whether former Raiders coach Bill Callahan sabotaged the team before Super Bowl XXXVII by changing the game plan at the last minute has taken another surprising turn: Jerry Rice has come forward to say he sides with his former teammate Tim Brown in believing that Callahan wanted to lose.

Rice, who was on the Raiders team that lost Super Bowl XXXVII to the Buccaneers, said on ESPN that Callahan disliked his players, disliked his team, and was willing to let his old boss, then-Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden, beat him.

“For some reason — and I don’t know why — Bill Callahan did not like me,” Rice said. “In a way, maybe because he didn’t like the Raiders, he decided, ‘Maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.’”

Isn't that the game when the raiders center went AWOL a couple of days before the super bowl? Rice could not say with any certainty that Brown is correct. Rice also mentioned that Callahan did not like him. So I got no impression that Rice buys into the BS that Brown is spouting. Apparently others here may have read his comments differently.

What part of "‘Maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.’” makes you believe he doesn't buy into the BS that Brown is spouting. And according to the PFT article, he also said "maybe that's why he (Barrett Robbins) didn't show up for the game"

What part of "‘Maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.’” makes you believe he doesn't buy into the BS that Brown is spouting. And according to the PFT article, he also said "maybe that's why he (Barrett Robbins) didn't show up for the game"

Well I listened to Rice live and stand by my opinion of what he said. PFT I could care less about. Jerry Rice on the tube, again is what I heard.

The center was a confirmed mental health candidate for diagnosed reasons. let's all go watch a Bond movie, for some conspiracy debates because Callahan did not throw the game. Period.

Everyone loves them some attention. Sounds like Brown living deep in obscurity is trying to buy himself another 15 minutes

Edited by Best Player Available

it just seems entirely to crazy.

if callahan sabotaged the team hes absolutely beyond nuts. if these guys are incorrect in their accusations they are just a bit paranoid and settling into some bad group think... i have to believe the latter is more likely.

Well I listened to Rice live and stand by my opinion of what he said. PFT I could care less about. Jerry Rice on the tube, again is what I heard.

The center was a confirmed mental health candidate for diagnosed reasons. let's all go watch a Bond movie, for some conspiracy debates because Callahan did not throw the game. Period.

Everyone loves them some attention. Sounds like Brown living deep in obscurity is trying to buy himself another 15 minutes

Those are direct quotes from Jerry Rice though. Not PFT analysis or interpretation.

This is what Rice told ESPN's Trey Wingo:

“For some reason — and I don’t know why — Bill Callahan did not like me,”
Rice said.
“In a way, maybe because he didn’t like the Raiders, he decided, ‘Maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.’”

For Rice, a universally respected player who was named in a poll of experts conducted by NFL Network as the greatest player in NFL history, to say that he believes one of his former coaches actively wanted to lose a Super Bowl is shocking.
ESPN’s Trey Wingo stopped Rice and asked him if he realized the magnitude of the accusation that Callahan once threw the Super Bowl. Rice said he understands the weight of his words.

“Yeah, I know exactly what I’m saying,” Rice said.
Edited by Punch

Rice siding with brown does lend an air of credibility though. I would tend to agree that changing the plan 2 days before would push am unstable robbins over the edge. Although i don't think this was deliberate on Callahan's part (not now anyway)

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

This is what Rice told ESPN's Trey Wingo:

“For some reason — and I don’t know why — Bill Callahan did not like me,”
Rice said.
“In a way, maybe because he didn’t like the Raiders, he decided, ‘Maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.’”

For Rice, a universally respected player who was named in a poll of experts conducted by NFL Network as the greatest player in NFL history, to say that he believes one of his former coaches actively wanted to lose a Super Bowl is shocking.
ESPN’s Trey Wingo stopped Rice and asked him if he realized the magnitude of the accusation that Callahan once threw the Super Bowl. Rice said he understands the weight of his words.

“Yeah, I know exactly what I’m saying,” Rice said.

Yep, thats what rice said. He is using a hypothetical because his impression of Callahan not liking him would want to lose a super bowl? Hard to understand. Brown and Rice were close on that team. Rice waqs a role player at that point. In fact being to busy to look it up I do believe it was Rice's first year on the Raiders. When your center goes AWOL I do believe there is some changing of the game plan no matter how subtle. BTW how come it took years, and 12 days before a super bowl for this BS to come to light. If Brown had ANY concrete proof his book deal would have been in the millions.

I love this thread as it's right up there with Kelly and Thurman buying the team 3 weeks ago.

Great - the more Tim wears his tin foil hat, the better Andre's chances look at breaking the HOF log jam with Brown and Carter...

ideally - yes. especially if voters have them neck and neck or a slight lead to andre

if browns ahead at this point it might result in voters holding off on him, and them by proxy holding off on the guys they have behind him at that position.

unless this really picks up (which it might) id imagine its a minimal effect.... but you never know what kind of legs these stories will pick up

ideally - yes. especially if voters have them neck and neck or a slight lead to andre

if browns ahead at this point it might result in voters holding off on him, and them by proxy holding off on the guys they have behind him at that position.

unless this really picks up (which it might) id imagine its a minimal effect.... but you never know what kind of legs these stories will pick up

Could also be brown getting a heads up he's not getting enough votes because he's missing a ring, and he's venting on Callahan for it.

Could also be brown getting a heads up he's not getting enough votes because he's missing a ring, and he's venting on Callahan for it.

it could. but i think throwing the coach under the bus has got to hurt (or atleast cancel out any "not his fault" sentiment that voters may have). there are ways to handle this not publicly if thats his goal.... but you never know. i cant say your wrong - like i said earlier, depending on the legs this gets, it could go a few different ways.

one thing is for sure - i dont buy that callahan hated the raiders enough to give up his shot at a ring. unless the man is supremely crazy. it wouldve been way easier to win, and speak his mind down the road as a super bowl winning coach.

Yep, thats what rice said. He is using a hypothetical because his impression of Callahan not liking him would want to lose a super bowl? Hard to understand. Brown and Rice were close on that team. Rice waqs a role player at that point. In fact being to busy to look it up I do believe it was Rice's first year on the Raiders. When your center goes AWOL I do believe there is some changing of the game plan no matter how subtle. BTW how come it took years, and 12 days before a super bowl for this BS to come to light. If Brown had ANY concrete proof his book deal would have been in the millions.

I love this thread as it's right up there with Kelly and Thurman buying the team 3 weeks ago.

Jerry Rice wasn't a role player on that team, in fact he was the leading receiver. 2002 was his 2nd season in Oakland. His stats those first 2 years were:

2001 - 83 rec, 1139 yds, 9 TDs

2002 - 92 rec, 1211 yds, 7 TDs

I'm not saying I'm buying it ( I don't), but I have no idea how you can view Rice's comments as anything but corroboration of Brown's allegation.