Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got something out of it: a woman didn't die. Sometimes the prize is truth itself (as trivial as that truth may be relative to other things).

The woman didnt die is old news...so who cares now? Seriously, that's been known...so um, where is the story? I mean Lance Armstrong defruaded an entire industry for an entire career and was one of the most iconic sports figures period of the last 2 decades...yet his open admission lying, cheating, and ruining lives along the way isnt getting as much press as this lame story. I mean you act like you had any emotional feeling for a girl who died that you knew nothing about ever let alone knew (and she was fake). Watch the news, real people die every day much more horrific deaths. But even if you did have some emotional connection to the orginal death on an imaginary girl you never knew, met or heard of...well she was fake...so who cares now. A fake girl isnt dead, hooray...next please

Interesting you think this is such a boring story, couldn't care less for it, but this is your second post (of actually a handful in this thread) about how boring this story is. You then write a dissertation expousing this view.

No offense, but that's more pathologic than the people enjoying and posting in this thread. You say you don't, but your action show that you actually care a great deal about this thread/topic.

I already said in the very post you replied too is that the most entertaining thing about this story is how it keeps going and going and how caught up this board and the media is. Nothing of this story is more than Junior High Gossip Girl stuff...nothing of this story has any merit to anything, its a living breathing lame MTV show called Catfish. Wont affect anyone a month from now other than locker room hazing for first round draft pick Teo. Thats it. There is literally no relevant news about this story at all to anyone outside of Teo's heckling by his new NFL team as a rookie yet much of this board has gone off the deep end for it and so has the media...hysterical. To each their own...enjoy, you should probably start recording Catfish too.

Edited by Alphadawg7

When those records are varified, he removes 99% of the questions of his guilt.

Showing those records should have been his first move.

If teo manufactured 6 months of phone records.... I just.... Well....I don't even know what to say...

I find it incredible the levels of skepticism some of you have through all of this...

You act like a juror and not a curious observer. This board has gotten really out there on its conspiracy theories and trying to find "bad guys" lately...

What would qualify as sufficient verification? Would he still have to prove he wasn't calling his gay lover?

Edited by NoSaint

If teo manufactured 6 months of phone records.... I just.... Well....I don't even know what to say...

I find it incredible the levels of skepticism some of you have through all of this...

You act like a juror and not a curious observer.....

I really don't understand why you say something like that. You understand that it is quite possible that "if" he was guilty.....then creating a spreadsheet to represent his phone conversations is quite possible? "If" he helped organize such an elaborate hoax in the first place, it stands to reason that he could spend a day making a spreadsheet of phone calls.

That being said.....I don't believe that that is the case......and I am now strongly leaning towards him being totally duped.

....and you are correct. I guess I am acting like a juror. That's because I am interested in the astounding puzzle that this situation has been presented as.....and I have not been shown information to make me believe beyond reasonable doubt that he is either guilty or innocent.

......This board has gotten really out there on its conspiracy theories and trying to find "bad guys" lately...

What would qualify as sufficient verification? Would he still have to prove he wasn't calling his gay lover?

I find this part very offensive and insulting. Surely you read my responses recently to joe6pack?

You made up your mind about this very early in the thread.....please show other people the courtesy of making up their own minds without accusing them of being one of the "bad guy" hating mob, or irrational in their thoughts.

As it happens, I personally think that for anyone to have made up their minds one way or the other on this that they are doing so based upon some sort of emotionally charged bias. I have not stated this as it is basically insulting and offensive and could only result in an unproductive negative situation.

I really don't understand why you say something like that. You understand that it is quite possible that "if" he was guilty.....then creating a spreadsheet to represent his phone conversations is quite possible? "If" he helped organize such an elaborate hoax in the first place, it stands to reason that he could spend a day making a spreadsheet of phone calls.

That being said.....I don't believe that that is the case......and I am now strongly leaning towards him being totally duped.

....and you are correct. I guess I am acting like a juror. That's because I am interested in the astounding puzzle that this situation has been presented as.....and I have not been shown information to make me believe beyond reasonable doubt that he is either guilty or innocent.

I find this part very offensive and insulting. Surely you read my responses recently to joe6pack?

You made up your mind about this very early in the thread.....please show other people the courtesy of making up their own minds without accusing them of being one of the "bad guy" hating mob, or irrational in their thoughts.

As it happens, I personally think that for anyone to have made up their minds one way or the other on this that they are doing so based upon some sort of emotionally charged bias. I have not stated this as it is basically insulting and offensive and could only result in an unproductive negative situation.

Nonsense. You started in with an embellished worst case scenario as "most likely" while setting up an artificial "phone records" test as the only absolute test to disprove. And now that it appears he's about to produce them you're poking holes in the test.

You toss around hokey legal jargon when it doesn't even apply as an appropriate response. But using your latest analogy you haven't been acting like a juror at all, who are told to keep an open mind until they hear everything and are sent to deliberation. If anything you've been acting like a prosecutor with an agenda, and a dirty one at that. If you want to see the "offensive" poster here, look in the mirror.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

A fake girl isnt dead, hooray...next please.

I'm confused and my head hurts - - if the girl isn't dead, then she must be alive (assuming you don't believe in zombies). But if she's alive, then Manti may be secretly laughing somewhere that the joke is on all of us, 'cause we think she's fake, when she's really not.

So which is it? As a non-caring, unbiased, neutral observer maybe you can point me in the right direction on this.

The board as a whole lately has gravitated towards any shred of evidence of conspiracy, or scandal - disregarding piles of common sense. That wasn't just directed at you, but the general group. It's always been something that happens but lately it's become much more vocal in my opinion. I don't know if its some of the newer members, a product of the offseason or what but its something I've noticed in a lot of threads lately on a variety of topics. Sometimes, it's ok to put your faith in common sense and if something comes out contrary later so be it. Days ago it was totally reasonable to take that approach.

The fact that its still "if its verified" when we have teo, teos family, teos bishop, other players, tuiasasopos family, and even an anonymous girl shopping interviews all saying that there were phone conversations.... as well as teo turning over 6 months of phone records to espn.... is getting to the point of "come on man, this isn't an actual trial and you don't have to find him innocent beyond a reasonable doubt" (not that it exists as a ruling). We still have people arguing that it was his gay lover on the phone so that proves nothing, or that he was playing the hoaxer faking the relationship in return.... and yes you taking the "when verified ill believe him" instead of "unless proven false"

its guilty until he proves himself innocent at the core... But not all of the previous post was to be directed solely at you...

The kids jumping through all the hoops, even if its not on the preferred timeline.

Edited by NoSaint

The board as a whole lately has gravitated towards any shred of evidence of conspiracy, or scandal - disregarding piles of common sense. That wasn't just directed at you, but the general group. It's always been something that happens but lately it's become much more vocal in my opinion. I don't know if its some of the newer members, a product of the offseason or what but its something I've noticed in a lot of threads lately on a variety of topics. Sometimes, it's ok to put your faith in common sense and if something comes out contrary later so be it. Days ago it was totally reasonable to take that approach.

The fact that its still "if its verified" when we have teo, teos family, teos bishop, other players, tuiasasopos family, and even an anonymous girl shopping interviews all saying that there were phone conversations.... as well as teo turning over 6 months of phone records to espn.... is getting to the point of "come on man, this isn't an actual trial and you don't have to find him innocent beyond a reasonable doubt" (not that it exists as a ruling). We still have people arguing that it was his gay lover on the phone so that proves nothing, or that he was playing the hoaxer faking the relationship in return.... and yes you taking the "when verified ill believe him" instead of "unless proven false"

its guilty until he proves himself innocent at the core... But not all of the previous post was to be directed solely at you...

The kids jumping through all the hoops, even if its not on the preferred timeline.

You misunderstood me.

All I was meaning was that it still needs to be verified. By stating the 99% of guilt thing, I mistakenly made the assumption that my comment would show that it had greatly changed my views.....which I clarified to you in my follow up post.

I think we are cool :)

You misunderstood me.

All I was meaning was that it still needs to be verified. By stating the 99% of guilt thing, I mistakenly made the assumption that my comment would show that it had greatly changed my views.....which I clarified to you in my follow up post.

I think we are cool :)

Fair enough. We will see if anything else pops up but I think this story has officially got pretty boring unless ronaiah or the girl decide to talk. The teo half is surely a bit strange but in the grand scheme the interesting weirdness in this story is becoming more and more firmly entrenched in the other side.

Nonsense. You started in with an embellished worst case scenario as "most likely" .....

Are we still on that?

I'll spell things out clearly for you.

When somebody is not convinced of guilt or innocence in a situation like this they think about all of the possibilities of what the actual truth might be.

Scenario #1 might be viewed as very unlikely.

Scenario #2 might be viewed a quite unlikely.

Scenario #3 & 4 might be viewed as quite possible.

Scenario #5 might be viewed as a bit more than quite possible.

I listed my scenario #5. It was the scenario I saw as "most likely".

It wasn't what I thought was "very likely" or even "quite likely".......it was the scenario that made the most sense to me at the time.

I wasn't married to it. I never proclaimed that I believed it was the truth of the situation.

I never stated that I believed he was guilty.

It was my BEST GUESS.

....and it certainly wasn't the worst case scenario for him in my mind at all.

Can you understand that there is a differentiate between statements showing a belief in the possibility of guilt and statements showing a belief of guilt?

I'm confused and my head hurts - - if the girl isn't dead, then she must be alive (assuming you don't believe in zombies). But if she's alive, then Manti may be secretly laughing somewhere that the joke is on all of us, 'cause we think she's fake, when she's really not.

So which is it? As a non-caring, unbiased, neutral observer maybe you can point me in the right direction on this.

Hahahaha...well don't hurt your head too much because she never existed, so its neither...she never lived nor died...its nothing. Jessica Rabbit is more alive than her.

If that makes your head hurt, then I got one for you. 3 friends traveling rent a hotel room for $30. Each person puts in $10 each for a total of $30. The night manager realizes once they are in their room he over charged them $5 as the room was only $25. He sends the bell hop up to give them the $5 back. On the way up the bell hop realizes he can keep $2 himself, and give them each back $1 since they will happy anyway just getting some money back and it would a pain to divide $5 by 3. He gives them each back a $1 and keeps the $2 and says goodnight. So, that means, each friend paid $9 each for the room after receiving a $1 back each, for a total of $27...the Bell Hop has the other $2...well that only totals $29, so what happened to the 30th Dollar?

Edited by Alphadawg7

If that makes your head hurt, then I got one for you. 3 friends traveling rent a hotel room for $30. Each person puts in $10 each for a total of $30. The night manager realizes once they are in their room he over charged them $5 as the room was only $25. He sends the bell hop up to give them the $5 back. On the way up the bell hop realizes he can keep $2 himself, and give them each back $1 since they will happy anyway just getting some money back and it would a pain to divide $5 by 3. He gives them each back a $1 and keeps the $2 and says goodnight. So, that means, each friend paid $9 each for the room after receiving a $1 back each, for a total of $27...the Bell Hop has the other $2...well that only totals $29, so what happened to the 30th Dollar?

It's accounted for; easily so. First, the hotelier is holding $25 and the bellhop $2, for a total of $27. Then each occupant is holding a refunded $1 (x3) so $27 + $3 = $30.

This was a cute question, but defaults to a common distraction element. Logic 101. Next.

Twist

"The lawyer for Ronaiah Tuiasosopo says Tuiasosopo posing as the mysterious Lennay Kekua, was the falsetto voice on the other end of the all-night phone calls with Te'o & that Tuiasosopo wanted a relationship with Te'o

The soul-baring chats between the star linebacker and the man posing as his phantom girlfriend were the linchpin of their fake fairy-tale romance. But Te’o apparently never realized it was Tuiasosopo disguising his voice to assume the persona of stunning, sassy Stanford coed Kekua"

Diane O’Meara, the real woman in the photos of Manti Te’o's fake girlfriend Lennay Kekua, said on ‘Today’ that her former high school classmate Ronaiah Tuiasosopo was behind the entire hoax, and stole her personal Facebook photos without her knowledge

" Ronaiah had allegedly pulled most of her pics from her Facebook page, but Diane revealed during her interview why she sent a few private photos that weren’t posted to her Facebook to her old high school classmate — whom she hadn’t spoken to in years.

She said Ronaiah contacted her saying his cousin had been in a traumatic car accident, and as a birthday gift, he wanted to do a photo slideshow of pics and well wishes from former classmates, so he requested a specific private photo of Diane holding up a handwritten sign.

Diane said she thought it was for Ronaiah’s cousin, who she thought was still in the hospital with head trauma, but that Ronaiah instead used it as part of his social media hoax"

So my take on this is that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo want to Date Te'o, so he (Tuiasosopo) makes a fake girl after the 4 month romantic part of the relationship, it got out of control & Tuiasosopo pulled the plug & the rest is history

Edited by Hater

The only thing funny or interesting about this story is the fact that despite being literally newsless, boring, stupid, uneventful, meaningless, victimless, and flat our retarted it is still being talked about to ad nauseum in the media and on this board.

Literally, who freaking cares...someone made up a girl...a kid bought it (and others allegedly)...the media ate it up as it was a story of pain (things they love to talk about)...he found out it was fake...was embarrassed and didn't want it to distract from National Championship run and kept it up rather than out it...been outed by a stupid article now. So, now who really cares about this? Why is this so intriguing? Go watch Catfish on MTV then, its the same stories just doesn't involve a high profile athlete.

At the end of the day, at the draft, and in the NFL...NO ONE is gonna care other than some locker room hazing. I can not believe this thread is 56 pages...its a 2 page thread at best LMAO. There is more real news in a sham magazine like the Inquirer than this story. I mean my god, the country is wasting so much time, media attention, reporters, etc on literally the dumbest story of the year...I mean seriously people.

He will still be a lock for the first round and probably top 15 or 10 still. Thats what is so annoying, that after all of this, nothing and I mean absolutely nothing, will come of it. No one stole anything, no one robbed or hurt anyone, no one is doing any time or breaking any laws, Teo's future is still as bright as ever.

Although it is mildly funny watching so many people here and in the media carry on over such a childish and lame story

This amazes me that this thread stays on the "view new content". Who cares. Can't wait til this dies out

The woman didnt die is old news...so who cares now? Seriously, that's been known...so um, where is the story? I mean Lance Armstrong defruaded an entire industry for an entire career and was one of the most iconic sports figures period of the last 2 decades...yet his open admission lying, cheating, and ruining lives along the way isnt getting as much press as this lame story. I mean you act like you had any emotional feeling for a girl who died that you knew nothing about ever let alone knew (and she was fake). Watch the news, real people die every day much more horrific deaths. But even if you did have some emotional connection to the orginal death on an imaginary girl you never knew, met or heard of...well she was fake...so who cares now. A fake girl isnt dead, hooray...next please

I already said in the very post you replied too is that the most entertaining thing about this story is how it keeps going and going and how caught up this board and the media is. Nothing of this story is more than Junior High Gossip Girl stuff...nothing of this story has any merit to anything, its a living breathing lame MTV show called Catfish. Wont affect anyone a month from now other than locker room hazing for first round draft pick Teo. Thats it. There is literally no relevant news about this story at all to anyone outside of Teo's heckling by his new NFL team as a rookie yet much of this board has gone off the deep end for it and so has the media...hysterical. To each their own...enjoy, you should probably start recording Catfish too.

Grow up man. With your mentality, what's the point of even having a forum about anything? Go cancel your account.

And by the way, you have plenty of posts on this thread (more than me probably)...so keep adding to it.

Edited by bobobonators

Hahahaha...well don't hurt your head too much because she never existed, so its neither...she never lived nor died...its nothing. Jessica Rabbit is more alive than her.

Ralph has it.

Twist

"The lawyer for Ronaiah Tuiasosopo says Tuiasosopo posing as the mysterious Lennay Kekua, was the falsetto voice on the other end of the all-night phone calls with Te'o & that Tuiasosopo wanted a relationship with Te'o

This is absolute crap. Manti couldn't tell if the person was a girl or a guy?

There is no way this guy (Manti) is telling the truth. He has know admitted to falsifying this story, albeit "briefly", but how are we really to know when his actual lies started? He admitted to lying, but now he expects us to believe him? Unreal. And who knows how long he was going to continue lying if the media didn't break this story?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/23/us/teo-hoax-abc/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

There are many reasons why Ronaiah is not talking. Could be guilt. Could be because if he does, he will be forced to admit Manti's role. Or, he was actually having an affair with Manti in the first place. Maybe Manti and his lawyers have told him to keep his mouth shut.

Ralph has it.

Winner Winner! HA, awesome answer

It's accounted for; easily so. First, the hotelier is holding $25 and the bellhop $2, for a total of $27. Then each occupant is holding a refunded $1 (x3) so $27 + $3 = $30.

This was a cute question, but defaults to a common distraction element. Logic 101. Next.

Nice attempt...but you are incorrect in terms of the math equation it presents. Physically a dollar doesn't magically disappear into oblivion, so if $30 existed at the beginning physically, it will still at the end. However, this is a mathematical anomaly and the correct mathematical answer is "no solution" using real numbers. From a math point of view, the 3 friends only paid $27 and the bell hop only has $2 totaling $29...the 30th dollar no longer exists in the equation despite having originated in it.

I actually now disagree with the math answer of "no solution" and now fully support the new answer by "IcansleepwhenI" of "Ralph has it" and am going to petition to have the official answer changed to that HA

Edited by Alphadawg7