Deadspin: Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend Is A Hoax

Punch

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When others have any more questions about him, they are called Te'o haters trying to trash a young man like Te'o.

Just another example of the White Man trying to keep the Samoan Man down.

You knew it was coming:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-just-want-to-apologize-to-manti-teo-for-what-i-p,30948/

The reality of the news story is more strange than The Onion stuff - - how messed up is that?

Awesome stuff there.

Here is the first piece of news IMO that helps clear MT's name.

Somebody who isn't involved in the situation with credibility who claims to have spoken with the "girlfriend".

Bishop Jim Carrier.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/22/manti-teo-spiritual-adviser-victim-lennay-kekua-hoax/1855755/

his bishop had already said that way back during the season before the news broke, this is just a more detailed interview after the news came out. if you go back about 40 pages its mentioned in the "is notre dame covering up for manti" madness. some think hes just saying it to make ND look good, if this is the same bishop. theres the bishop, the people that ran the awareness events after "her death" getting scammed, other players, etc....

really, theres just a huge swell continuing to build on his side and nothing contradicting his story except for people saying "yea, but he mustve known, right?" which i think is half not being familiar with events like these, and half how deadspin initially framed it (and maybe another half just not liking the kid and liking to see someone fall).

hopefully someone will do a better job collecting stories like the bishop, the ND booster, the other players, the families (both teo and tuiasasopo), the school (and their admittedly looks to be brief investigation), the address checking out... all into one article. not to mention manti himself. they are so scattered makes it hard to keep track and unless youve read a lot about it (admittedly too much) then you are missing a lot of the people and tidbits that have come out on his side of the story.

Edited by NoSaint

his bishop had already said that way back during the season before the news broke, this is just a more detailed interview after the news came out. if you go back about 40 pages its mentioned in the "is notre dame covering up for manti" madness. some think hes just saying it to make ND look good, if this is the same bishop. theres the bishop, the people that ran the awareness events after "her death" getting scammed, other players, etc....

really, theres just a huge swell continuing to build on his side and nothing contradicting his story except for people saying "yea, but he mustve known, right?" which i think is half not being familiar with events like these, and half how deadspin initially framed it (and maybe another half just not liking the kid and liking to see someone fall).

hopefully someone will do a better job collecting stories like the bishop, the ND booster, the other players into one article. that they are so scattered makes it hard to keep track. unless youve read a lot about it (admittedly too much) then you are missing a lot of the people that have come out on his side of the story.

I don't think it relevant if people come out on his side of the story or not. Opinion is not going to prove things one way or the other.

Showing that there actually was(or wasn't) a "girlfriend" is pretty much the only thing that will do the job. If it is shown that MT actually had the conversations he had(via phone records)....or if other independent people had conversations with her(like the Bishop)....then it would(should) be extremely difficult to doubt his story.

I don't think it relevant if people come out on his side of the story or not. Opinion is not going to prove things one way or the other.

Showing that there actually was(or wasn't) a "girlfriend" is pretty much the only thing that will do the job. If it is shown that MT actually had the conversations he had(via phone records)....or if other independent people had conversations with her(like the Bishop)....then it would(should) be extremely difficult to doubt his story.

and thats why joe and i (and others) have had such a hard time doubting his story....

what i meant by coming out on his side is that loads of people have had experience with this scammer it seems - theres more than a couple people that were sucked into this. like i said, other players around the country have come out saying they were speaking to her, other non-athlete victims, other notre dame people, the tuiasasopo family has said it was on him, and the girl is allegedly negotiating interviews currently (and has not denied the conversations). manti cites a variety of family members that have spoke with a girl on the phone (including one that discussed her cancer with her and the girl on the line was apparently very well versed in leukemia lingo). the bishop was not a new source, just a new interview confirming what he had already said about speaking with her.

its about a dozen people (some through indirect sources, but with no public denial) that confirm their experience with "the girl" and no one denying it. the phone records would be nice and all, but at this point its looking pretty solid that he was talking to some girl.

anyone that wants to bury him needs to jump to the "but he didnt tell us immediately" bandwagon.

Edited by NoSaint

It was a bogus "proof" of innocence all along. If he were "in on it" he could have kept having calls with the woman on the other end for phone sex. And also part of the conversations would be dedicated to discussing next steps in the hoax since they'd need to coordinate. And since one couldnt produce a real person, what better way to scam others than passing a phone around with a woman on the other end saying its Lennay.

You're just starting to soften your position now trying to save face in the face of posts by me, NS and others cratering the "he was in on it" case. That stuff about the bishop and his team mates chatting with lennay has been out there almost from the start.

Either that or you're just too lazy to do the slightest bit research before accusing someone of being "in on it". In any case it reflects badly on you.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

It was a bogus "proof" of innocence all along. If he were "in on it" he could have kept having calls with the woman on the other end for phone sex. And also part of the conversations would be dedicated to discussing next steps in the hoax since they'd need to coordinate.

What part of "on the phone every night"...."falling asleep while on the phone" don't you get? His phone sex calls would show as such....and would likely only last 3 minutes.

Yeah....need to coordinate for 8 hours on the phone every night.

You're just starting to soften your position now trying to save face in the face of posts by me, NS and others cratering the "he was in on it" case. That stuff about the bishop and his team mates chatting with lennay has been out there almost from the start.

lol....yep, that's obviously what I'm doing. Gee Mr. Pack, your arguments were so convincing that I simply had to re-evaluate my position from one of.....MT needs to show some sort of independent evidence.....to where I am at the moment which is.....MT needs to show some sort of independent evidence.

Either that or you're just too lazy to do the slightest bit research before accusing someone of being "in on it". In any case it reflects badly on you.

Too lazy? I just searched & linked the article above didn't I?

Also....I never accused him of being "in on it". I have constantly stated that it seems like a decent possibility that he was in on it. The fact that you see anybody questioning his innocence as stating that they believe he is guilty is an indictment of how dogmatically irrational you have been on this issue.

You are so blinded(for whatever reason) by your dogmatic belief that he is innocent that you cannot differentiate between irrelevant information and pertinent information. Had you been able to do so you would have(and should have) highlighted the independent source of the Bishop having spoken to the "girl" several times on MT's phone. All of the other pieces of information that NoSaint listed above are quite irrelevant(unless one of the players mentioned spoke to the girl on MT's phone).

You are so blinded(for whatever reason) by your dogmatic belief that he is innocent that you cannot differentiate between irrelevant information and pertinent information. Had you been able to do so you would have(and should have) highlighted the independent source of the Bishop having spoken to the "girl" several times on MT's phone. All of the other pieces of information that NoSaint listed above are quite irrelevant(unless one of the players mentioned spoke to the girl on MT's phone).

My first post in this thread (bold added):

"Who knows? he could be the victim of an online hoax. This other guy may be gay and had the hots for Teo' and figured this was way to get closest to him. Plus a lot of this "Teo said this or that about being with her" is from newspaper articles that someone else wrote. Teo is still a kid, and quite possibly very shy around women. A lot these athletes lead sheltered lives. He may have thought this was real relationship with a real woman ... like a modern day "pen pal" kind of thing. Or he could have been exploiting it for national attention from start. Just wait till it all comes up before rushing to judgement ... it's not like anyone's lives are in danger in the interim"

-----------

Clearly I was open to various scenarios including "in on it" guilty as charged. All I wanted was more info than the Deadspin article to make that assessment. Unlike others who concluded he was guilty based only on it.

Here is the first piece of news IMO that helps clear MT's name.

Somebody who isn't involved in the situation with credibility who claims to have spoken with the "girlfriend".

Bishop Jim Carrier.

http://www.usatoday....a-hoax/1855755/

I don't see how this clarifies the motive for Te'o's embellishment of the situation or why he and Notre Dame had to be outed into telling the truth by Deadspin.

How did you ever place me as somebody who concluded he was guilty?

ummm .... your posts.

excerpt from one on 20th "With all of the strangeness involved in this(Tuiasosopo being known to T'eo.....close enough for T'eo to plug his youtube single on twitter, the picture of the girlfriend being a prom queen from T'eo's high school, the extraordinary amount of time/effort that the as yet unnamed "girlfriend" put in to the hoax, etc, etc, etc).....it is fully reasonable to think that T'eo might well have been involved."

I don't see how this clarifies the motive for Te'o's embellishment of the situation or why he and Notre Dame had to be outed into telling the truth by Deadspin.

For me....all of the "extra" stuff is irrelevant. I honestly don't need to know the facts of every aspect of the situation. Honestly, if it is shown that MT actually had long phone conversations every night leading up to the "death"....what difference does it make as to why he might embellish the situation he was in or why he didn't jump straight in with full disclosure when he "found out".

Proof of the long phone conversations(&/or emails etc) easily provides enough doubt in my mind.

He could have embellished due to embarrassment of having never met her....or embellished his level of emotional connection to her as an understandable and not horrendous mistake. Deadspin was tipped off by somebody. Maybe hoaxers figured this and irrationally owned up to it to him as a reaction to it....or maybe it was coincidence...etc. If it can be shown that he was duped into being in a "relationship" with somebody to the point of him spending countless hours on the phone etc....what difference do all the minor details make?

ummm .... your posts.

excerpt from one on 20th "With all of the strangeness involved in this(Tuiasosopo being known to T'eo.....close enough for T'eo to plug his youtube single on twitter, the picture of the girlfriend being a prom queen from T'eo's high school, the extraordinary amount of time/effort that the as yet unnamed "girlfriend" put in to the hoax, etc, etc, etc).....it is fully reasonable to think that T'eo might well have been involved."

OMG!!!

"MIGHT WELL HAVE BEEN INVOLVED"

Please explain how that statement has me concluding that he was guilty.

(Again you show your inability to differentiate between statements showing a belief in the possibility of guilt and statements showing a belief of guilt).

Edited by Dibs

So you know something is fake and youre "in on it" but you report it to school authorities? Lol ok

If I knew a Deadspin article was going to drop at any time, I would have certainly reported it to the school authorities.

Interesting thing is the reaction of ND once it was reported to them. Nothing. The extent of their "investigation" was a Google search for Kekau Lennay. Then, silence.

And even more interesting was how, even after knowing the Lennay thing was a "hoax", on multiple occasions Manti still referred to his dead girlfriend, Lennay, who died of cancer.

You know what? The hoax is on all of us.

It certain is. Well, not on some of us though.

OMG!!!

"MIGHT WELL HAVE BEEN INVOLVED"

Please explain how that statement has me concluding that he was guilty.

(Again you show your inability to differentiate between statements showing a belief in the possibility of guilt and statements showing a belief of guilt).

Another beauty of yours:

"To me, this scenario is sounding the most likely.....and if it is the case Te'o has my deepest sympathies.

To be a Mormon football player & gay must be a very difficult situation to be in.

It's quite understandable that he'd concoct an innocuous lie about a girlfriend to his parents.

It's easy to see how the lie could then progress to his teammates.

The invention of car accident & illness ensures his parents "can't" meet her.

Perhaps the death of his Grandmother then triggered him to kill her off for various possible reasons.

The media get's a hold of it.....and now he is in the crapper. No choice but to follow the lie through to the end."

Another beauty of yours:

"To me, this scenario is sounding the most likely.....and if it is the case Te'o has my deepest sympathies.

To be a Mormon football player & gay must be a very difficult situation to be in.

It's quite understandable that he'd concoct an innocuous lie about a girlfriend to his parents.

It's easy to see how the lie could then progress to his teammates.

The invention of car accident & illness ensures his parents "can't" meet her.

Perhaps the death of his Grandmother then triggered him to kill her off for various possible reasons.

The media get's a hold of it.....and now he is in the crapper. No choice but to follow the lie through to the end."

Yet again you show your inability to differentiate between statements showing a belief in the possibility of guilt and statements showing a belief of guilt.