Chip Kelly Hired as New Eagles Head Coach

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His chances for NFL success is less than 50%. Most college coaches fail miserably in the NFL. So if youhave a favorite college school and you think it will need a new HC in 3 years, Chip will be available in my humble opinion.

Not this one.

He will have zero impact in the NFL. Zero. See "Steve Spurrier".

Then, see "Bobby Petrino".

I think you're wrong. I would have loved to land Kelly in Buffalo. He was my top choice. We'll see how he does in the extremely tough NFCE.

@MaryKayCabot

The #Browns, through a spokesman, have declined to comment on Chip Kelly becoming the #Eagles head coach.

Translation: We're pissed that that FN Kelly spurned us for the Eagles. :censored: him!!!

There's really no reason for them to comment on another team's hire. Were the Bills expected to comment when the Redskins hired Shanahan just because they met with him for 10 hours? The media simply overreacted.

His chances for NFL success is less than 50%. Most college coaches fail miserably in the NFL. So if youhave a favorite college school and you think it will need a new HC in 3 years, Chip will be available in my humble opinion.

There's nothing to suggest college coaches fail more often or more miserably than coaches with pro experience. A few high profile college names like Spurrier, Pettrino and Saban failing is apropos of nothing in regards to Kelly.

Except for Doug Marrone of course.

Statement would be just as true if you removed "college".

There's nothing to suggest college coaches fail more often or more miserably than coaches with pro experience. A few high profile college names like Spurrier, Pettrino and Saban failing is apropos of nothing in regards to Kelly.

It is incredible how so many fans can't grasp this.

You have a sample size of what, 7, maybe 10 college coaches, most of whom coached in a completely different era? Including Saban who took over a 3-13 team and "failed miserably" because the team Doctor said they should avoid Drew Brees? And Spurrier, who failed no worse than every other Redskins coach under Dan Synder until they finally found a QB this year?

So yah, avoiding them and sticking with the retreads and "hot coordinators" (who invariably had good players on their side of the ball) is clearly the blueprint. Since they've been given a zillion more chances, we can post examples of the ones who worked out on message boards!

Not lazy. Spurrier was also regarded as an innovator in college who would bring his "fun and gun" game to the pros. It didn't happen.

The Petrino reference was comparing Petrion's bolting from Louisville to the Falcons and back to the college before the end of the season. Given Kelly's very public vacillation between staying in Oregon, leaving for the NFL, then staying in Oregon, then leaving for the NFL--I thought the possibility that Kelly could pull a Petrino was possible, and the comparison was therefore obvious.

I see no evidence so far that Kelly is "infinitely smarter" than Spurrier.

Hiring pat shurmer as OC. Seems we won't be seeing the Oregon spread. Also seems he wanted some nfl and Philly experience on his staff.