Dehaven out, Crossman in for ST

l< j

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been stealing from staffs that are circuses and often giving promotions to those guys.... I wouldn't call us top tier yet but it's nice to be getting guys over other teams instead of ones that are otherwise unemployed, ill give you that.

the Jets may be a circus but Pettine is a great coach and I'm sure the rest of the D staff is as well. Hackett was not part of a circus but a successful rebuilding project, I have no opinion of Crossman.

I wonder if he would even come back here.

CBF

Hard to say, but we are a new organization now so maybe.

the Jets may be a circus but Pettine is a great coach and I'm sure the rest of the D staff is as well. Hackett was not part of a circus but a successful rebuilding project, I have no opinion of Crossman.

I wouldn't call bringing his OC from Syracuse stealing - as it's part of his own team (and a major promotion). The other two coordinators are certainly from circus atmospheres and because of that I don't know if them choosing us is a huge coup. It's a positive (especially pettine), I was just saying possibly a few steps below proof we're a top tier destination. Everyone else has been a solid promotion from asst position coach to position coach.

Not trying to say we're a bad destination but it might be some fan glasses that are making it look among the best.

I can promise that no one was beating on the lions door to talk to crossman besides us. His unit was a major issue in Detroit and commonly ridiculed nationally for their failures. Whether his fault or that teams discipline issues - who knows.

Like the old Mayor Daley used to say...."what did you think I was gonna do, hire my enemies??"

pretty much, most people hire people they now and like, although Pettine wasn't a friend hire.

I wouldn't call bringing his OC from Syracuse stealing - as it's part of his own team (and a major promotion). The other two coordinators are certainly from circus atmospheres and because of that I don't know if them choosing us is a huge coup. It's a positive (especially pettine), I was just saying possibly a few steps below proof we're a top tier destination. Everyone else has been a solid promotion from asst position coach to position coach.

Not trying to say we're a bad destination but it might be some fan glasses that are making it look among the best.

I can promise that no one was beating on the lions door to talk to crossman besides us. His unit was a major issue in Detroit and commonly ridiculed nationally for their failures. Whether his fault or that teams discipline issues - who knows.

I never said we were stealing you did.

Special teams is a really hard area to judge on a football team just by looking at the rankings. Every team puts a different emphasis on it and some are reluctant to put their best players on ST. Hell for all we know Caldwell might have cut the ST reps in half this year.

Besides, last time we were even close to the playoffs Wade had his buddy Ronnie coaching.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

I was hoping for Bobby April as we had our best special Teams with him and his have always been good, Although not sure about his time in Phily as I didn't pay attention to him there but I assume they were good.

According to the Football Outsiders rankings, the Eagles ST have gotten worse each year since Bobby April has been there. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst2010 Also according to these rankings, while Detroit ST was bad last year, he has had some very good ST in both Carolina and Detroit under his leadership - up and down generally.

A good leader should always hire the best people he can (including those who could end up being their replacement). The ability to work together is important, but the end result -- not comfort level -- is the bottom line.

Not too impressed with this hire, or with Driesbach if his Central Bucks West connection got him the job...

Absolutely, positively, perfectly put.

I'm not really bothered by the hire. I think teams place differing levels of emphasis on special teams.

...and let's face it, your ST unit strength is based on the quality of the players on it. You need at least one Chris Chamberlain or Marcus Hudson...or Steve Tasker.

...and it wasn't coaching that wrecked us all January 8, 2000.

that says a lot about Detroit if he wanted out of his contract.

It also says a lot in that guys want to work for Marrone and this organization. Finely, for the first time in a long time I feel like we are a top tier destination.

From what I read, he was let out of his contract. If he was that good, he would have been held to his contract.

Buffalo....a top tier destination....because Of Crossman, the 33 year old OC, or the DC who was massively overshadowed by the head coach? You have a borderline ST Coodinator, a HUGE question mark at OC and potentially the defensive version of Curtis Modkins for DC. You, sir, define the word optimist. If you're not sure someone sucks, it doesn't mean they're good.

I'm not impressed with this either. This one screams of the "hire your friends" mentality. Looks like a good share of the boys from Syracuse are coming on board.

Like the old Mayor Daley used to say...."what did you think I was gonna do, hire my enemies??"

:thumbsup: ... :lol:

Looks like many many assistant coaches actually want to work for Marrone in Buffalo. Which in my view is an almost total reversal of past trends. Listening to Nathaniel Hackett talk about Marrone, He is an "old school", "Blue collar guy"! He is a tough tough guy and very inspirational.

What does it tell you that other coaches are clamoring, trying to work for the man? Not only that, after reading that Marrone watched every game of the Eagles, Browns, Chargers from last year. This tells me that the man will be a complete 180 degrees from Chan Gailey who struck me as a man who refused to watch past game film and went by what he saw on the field playing for him. Well thats hugely egotistical in my view, not trusting how other coaches coach or just damn lazy.

There were Bills players that made it to the field in 2010 that should have never made it out of pre season. I was questioning Gaileys ability to judge player talent from the start. Plus, some of his players just weren't coached up to their responsibilities in their respective jobs on the field.

I was highly skeptical of this HC hire at first, and now after reading more and more about them man I have to say I'm starting to drink the kool-aid this time :D

Bobby April's teams made plays including fakes that resulted in 1st down and TD's in addition to suprise on-side kicks. I didn't see Bruce Dehavens teams do anything out of the ordinary whether good or bad. Advantage:April.

From what I read, he was let out of his contract. If he was that good, he would have been held to his contract.

Buffalo....a top tier destination....because Of Crossman, the 33 year old OC, or the DC who was massively overshadowed by the head coach? You have a borderline ST Coodinator, a HUGE question mark at OC and potentially the defensive version of Curtis Modkins for DC. You, sir, define the word optimist. If you're not sure someone sucks, it doesn't mean they're good.

better spoken then i - but essentially what i was getting at (albeit in a clunky manner). im varying levels of optimistic on these guys (pettine very, hackett moderately, crossman not at all) but they certainly have reasons to place question marks on all of them. the "marrone chose them so they must be great" philosophy of some is a bit much.

that says a lot about Detroit if he wanted out of his contract.

It also says a lot in that guys want to work for Marrone and this organization. Finely, for the first time in a long time I feel like we are a top tier destination.

I agree with this...I think it was the same with Pettine...These Coaches actually WANT to come to work with Marrone...It's kind of cool!!! B-)

:thumbsup: ... :lol:

Looks like many many assistant coaches actually want to work for Marrone in Buffalo. Which in my view is an almost total reversal of past trends. Listening to Nathaniel Hackett talk about Marrone, He is an "old school", "Blue collar guy"! He is a tough tough guy and very inspirational.

What does it tell you that other coaches are clamoring, trying to work for the man? Not only that, after reading that Marrone watched every game of the Eagles, Browns, Chargers from last year. This tells me that the man will be a complete 180 degrees from Chan Gailey who struck me as a man who refused to watch past game film and went by what he saw on the field playing for him. Well thats hugely egotistical in my view, not trusting how other coaches coach or just damn lazy.

There were Bills players that made it to the field in 2010 that should have never made it out of pre season. I was questioning Gaileys ability to judge player talent from the start. Plus, some of his players just weren't coached up to their responsibilities in their respective jobs on the field.

I was highly skeptical of this HC hire at first, and now after reading more and more about them man I have to say I'm starting to drink the kool-aid this time :D

hes definitely a preparation guy, which i think is helpful - i remember when he was hired at syracuse he was praised for walking in with a binder full of coaches and players he had been scouting. he didnt pick these guys by accident, ill say that much for sure.