Tyrann "Honey Badger" Mathieu - CB - LSU

dbflaBill

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that was nice of Les Miles.

Really, it surprises me quite a bit.

I figured he would have a seperate one very nearby the same day? I guess he didnt get booted from the NCAA eligibility like most in his situation, so it's up to les still though

Man I want this guy looking at highlights. Could be the next winfield....or pacman....

cant say i would compare him to winfield. honestly, outside of size they are nearly opposite in that winfield is very technically sound and never gives up a big play where mathieu is a bit more of a free lancer that tries to create plays, and his highlights are often with the ball in his hands.

Agreed - the Bills drafted Ron Brooks from LSU last year in the 4th round. He was Honey Badger's backup...

yes and no - brooks was in a lot of ways that teams second best pure cover corner outside, where honey badger was used in all kinds of subpackages at safety, or at a lb type position (like the bucs do with ronde sometimes). brooks wasnt a true backup player by any means.

When I watch his highlights it's of him being a fearless tackler. I think he only had a few picks his junior season

winfield was a guy that averaged 2 picks and 1 forced fumble a season, roughly, for his career. hes not the best (good, not great) coverage guy but in his last year at lsu he had a knack for the ball and made plays with it (only 2 picks, but 6 forced fumbles, 4 recoveries with 2 for tds, and the big punt return stats).

i guess i was getting at the fact that mathieu is a bit more boom or bust in his play and explosive with the ball and winfield is just SUPER reliable even if he doesnt get his hands on it a lot. different things making them noteworthy.

both willing to get dirty though, thats true.

yes and no - brooks was in a lot of ways that teams second best pure cover corner outside, where honey badger was used in all kinds of subpackages at safety, or at a lb type position (like the bucs do with ronde sometimes). brooks wasnt a true backup player by any means.

Depends on your definition of backup. He started 3 games out of 53 games played and made 90 total tackles in 53 games. I would call that a backup. His LSU bio starts off with "a top reserve..."

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=785329

I go agree that Honey Badger played more positions than CB though.

winfield was a guy that averaged 2 picks and 1 forced fumble a season, roughly, for his career. hes not the best (good, not great) coverage guy but in his last year at lsu he had a knack for the ball and made plays with it (only 2 picks, but 6 forced fumbles, 4 recoveries with 2 for tds, and the big punt return stats).

i guess i was getting at the fact that mathieu is a bit more boom or bust in his play and explosive with the ball and winfield is just SUPER reliable even if he doesnt get his hands on it a lot. different things making them noteworthy.

both willing to get dirty though, thats true.

I get what your saying. He just reminds me of Winfield based on size, speed, and ability to hit. Honey badger is explosive with the ball but only had a handful of picks, averaged more forces fumbles than picks. Either way, I like him haha

• 1 month later...

According to Albert Breer the Bills are going to be visiting with him.

Being down here in Louisiana I can tell you that the guy is a world class playmaker with unreal football instincts. He is however a few fries short of a happy meal.

Thoughts on the Honey Badger?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

well.... it would take a lot for me to like it, and itd have to likely be later than he will slide.

hes really small

hes always in trouble

those are two big strikes. if the fluff PR pieces are true, i could warm to it as its been positive news lately and i havent heard near the chatter on the street about him screwing up, like i used to when he was in new orleans.... but im reeeeal hesitant based on some of his reputation (and im not just saying it about smoking weed)

According to Albert Breer the Bills are going to e visiting with him.

Being down here in Louisiana I can tell you that the guy is a world clad playmaker with unreal football instincts. He is however a few fries short of a happy meal.

Thoughts on the Honey Badger?

If he falls in the draft I'm definitely a buyer. He's not a bad kid either and he understands that he has behavioural issues that need to be managed. That in itself is positive. When asked recently if he would like to be draftd by the Saints he actually said no because it was too close to home and to trouble. Buff is a long way from the bayou.

If he falls in the draft I'm definitely a buyer. He's not a bad kid either and he understands that he has behavioural issues that need to be managed. That in itself is positive. When asked recently if he would like to be draftd by the Saints he actually said no because it was too close to home and to trouble. Buff is a long way from the bayou.

slight brake tap on some of the sentiment:

when asked about the saints hes said on more than one occasion, somewhat laughingly, that they would have to sit down together figure out a plan to keep him out of trouble. not that he wouldnt want to.

and from everything i hear, "hes not a bad kid" is a borderline assessment at best. based on the company he kept in this city, he was far, FAR, from a good one. theres a reason that people keep saying he needs to stay out of new orleans and its not because weed is that much harder to find in buffalo.

third - at this point id pretty well hope someone would be able to reach him to atleast get him to TRY to say the right things with millions on the line. whether hes serious in its long term and able to execute the plan is a whole different story, which i wont claim to say hes not but i also am not going to laud him too much for not being arrested for approximately 6 months and attempting not to sound like an idiot at this juncture.

Edited by NoSaint