Zac Dysert - QB - Miami of Ohio

Been touting this kid for months now, think he is going to be a stud...broke most of Rothlisberger's records and reminds me a lot of him...some of the throws I saw him make were throws Fitz would Jack off over being able to make...

um... that was um, "colorful"... such a classy , thoughtful board this is.. well at least we stick to football. There is something out there called Realfootball365 and all they do is talk about liberal politics and religion.

Now for my thoughtful, analytical view: A Qb with a name like Zac Dysert would be cool.....

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Totally unnecessary. And didn't Buddy say there are TWO quarterbacks to build a franchise around??

I agree with you that trading back up is most likely unnecessary, but sometimes GM's here some chatter about a player we're not privy to.

Buddy said "there will be two long time starting QB's that come out of this draft, and that's a fact" and the more important sentence "they key is figuring out which two it is and that's what we're doing now". To me this means he must have a stat that says two starters come out of every draft. Now the hard part is doing your work and hope you picked one of them.

Edited by Triple Threat

I agree with you that trading back up is most likely unnecessary, but sometimes GM's here some chatter about a player we're not privy to.

Buddy said "there will be two long time starting QB's that come out of this draft, and that's a fact" and the more important sentence "they key is figuring out which two it is and that's what we're doing now". To me this means he must have a stat that says two starters come out of every draft. Now the hard part is doing your work and hope you picked one of them.

Holy Christ, I hope that's not his methodology because 2010, 2009 and 2007 did NOT wield "two starters." So I'm not certain what data he's basing this on... unless the last two years a body of evidence makes??

I watched all of his youtube videos. Its hard for me to even evaluate him, his o-line and recievers must be among the worst in the nation. Its painfull to watch him play with pressure in his face on almost every play and his receivers dropping every other ball. You would have to think that would rattle your confidence.

On another note its amazing he put up such solid stats last year. Almost 3500 yards, 25td 12int

I would be comfortable using a pick on him in the 4th round.

Holy Christ, I hope that's not his methodology because 2010, 2009 and 2007 did NOT wield "two starters." So I'm not certain what data he's basing this on... unless the last two years a body of evidence makes??

Yeah I'm not saying that's what he meant Big Cat, it's just the way I translated it.

He said there's definitely two long term starters, then says the key is to pick the two out, and that's what we're doing now. So he's guaranteeing two starters but admits their not done evaluating. How could he make that guarantee without being done doing the homework unless he's using another source of data? Weird huh?

Edited by Triple Threat

I think you've got to have Dysert and Matt Scott on the list with guys like Wilson, Glennon, Bray, Nassib, Manuel, who all are in the mix behind Barkley and Geno, and I believe of that group a few will become good NFL QB's. This draft is not bad if you're looking for a QB, IMO.

Yeah I'm not saying that's what he meant Big Cat, it's just the way I translated it.

He said there's definitely two long term starters, then says the key is to pick the two out, and that's what we're doing now. So he's guaranteeing two starters but admits their not done evaluating. How could he make that guarantee without being done doing the homework unless he's using another source of data? Weird huh?

Yeah, and my frustration/confusion was aimed at Nix, not you, obvi.

I watched all of his youtube videos. Its hard for me to even evaluate him, his o-line and recievers must be among the worst in the nation. Its painfull to watch him play with pressure in his face on almost every play and his receivers dropping every other ball. You would have to think that would rattle your confidence.

On another note its amazing he put up such solid stats last year. Almost 3500 yards, 25td 12int

I would be comfortable using a pick on him in the 4th round.

+1. Almost my thoughts exactly.

The best trait that sticks out with Dysert to me is his ability to be deadly accurate while throwing on the run. Dysert's stock would be a lot better if he had the supporting cast that Geno or Barkley had this past season. To be honest, Barkley, Wilson, Nassib etc, do not seem like they'll ever be more than great and I don't think they'll be pro-bowlers. Dysert is the one guy in this class that I could see having the potential to make the Pro Bowl year after year. He has all the unteachable tools a great quarterback must possess. With good coaching, and some time to develop, I feel as if Dysert could emerge as the best QB to come out of this class. I was a big fan of Russell Wilson last year at this time, and disliked Blaine Gabbert and Jimmy Clausen when they came out, so let's see if my success at evaluating

Maybe my standards have lowered after all these years of losing but if we picked Barkley and he was only great for us, I'd be okay with that.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Incidentally, NFL.com has Geno Smith as the only QB rated higher than Dysert. He's not flying under everyone's radar.

http://www.nfl.com/d...sition-input:qb

Though CBS Sports has probably a more mainstream view of him, projecting him to go in the 5th with this assessment:

STRENGTHS: Looks the part of an NFL quarterback. Possesses broad-shoulders and a strong frame, overall. Possesses an efficient, over-the-top release and good accuracy on in-cutting routes.

Generally steps into his throws and flashes impressive accuracy when throwing on the move (typically rolls to his right). Good touch, especially on intermediate and deeper passes. Stands strong in the pocket to exhaust his throwing options.

Is a good overall athlete who isn't afraid to take off and run with the ball. While not particularly elusive or fast, Dysert is more athletic than he looks and is a determined runner who knows where he has to go to keep the chains moving.

Good intangibles for the position. Didn't seem fazed by hostile environments (Ohio State, Boise State) and is the first three-time captain in Miami history.

WEAKNESSES: Played out of a shotgun-heavy offense in 2012 that simplified his reads and made the vast majority of his throws underneath tosses that simply don't translate to the NFL. Rarely asked to drive the ball down the field and may not possess the velocity to slip balls through tight windows. Highly inconsistent accuracy on the move, often forcing his receivers to adjust their routes.

COMPARES TO: Josh McCown, QB, Chicago Bears -- Just like McCown, Dysert possesses enough natural talent to potentially warrant a top 100 selection, but he's a work in progress who has shown just average accuracy on the types of throws he'll be asked to make in the NFL.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1631626/zac-dysert

Edited by hondo in seattle

Buddy did not say that there will be two starters in every draft. He just said that this years draft has two starters....What I don't understand is his phrase "It is a fact". How does Buddy know that those two will be successful no matter what.

The only reason he broke any of Big Ben's records (which was basically only yards) was because he played 4 seasons vs. Ben's 3. Even so, Ben still had more TD passes, and a QB rating almost 20 points higher. Oh, and Big Bens last season they went 13-1, Dysert (as a senior) went 4-8. I'm sorry, but there is no way that a QB who goes 4-8 in the MAC, regardless of the talent on the rest of the team, is going to be a successful NFL QB.

Any comparison to Big Ben is idiotic.

Not so fast.. with the whole idiotic thing. They are both big boys out of the same school that have some similar traits like being able to make strong throws while moving around.

Anyone that goes over film from this kid's games and sees one perfect throw after another being dropped doesn't just throw around a "regardless of the talent" comment. Saying things like that is actually idiotic.

Football is a team sport and any evaluation of a prospect has to take into account significant coaching changes at that program, the team defense (how many times did the offense get the ball back), key injuries, attempts vs. completions and how many of the incompletes were catchable. There are numerous other individual factors like is the kid a head case that cannot stay out of trouble, maturity, is he coachable or did the OC have to dumb down the offense, can he work well under center or in a shotgun or both, does the prospect look like he can be successful in the kind of offense you want to run, can he read defenses and does he know where to go with the ball, does he read the whole field and check down when appropriate, what does he do under pressure, can he take a hit, is he durable, can he make all the throws, etc... etc...

Incidentally, NFL.com has Geno Smith as the only QB rated higher than Dysert. He's not flying under everyone's radar.

http://www.nfl.com/d...sition-input:qb

Though CBS Sports has probably a more mainstream view of him, projecting him to go in the 5th with this assessment:

STRENGTHS: Looks the part of an NFL quarterback. Possesses broad-shoulders and a strong frame, overall. Possesses an efficient, over-the-top release and good accuracy on in-cutting routes.

Generally steps into his throws and flashes impressive accuracy when throwing on the move (typically rolls to his right). Good touch, especially on intermediate and deeper passes. Stands strong in the pocket to exhaust his throwing options.

Is a good overall athlete who isn't afraid to take off and run with the ball. While not particularly elusive or fast, Dysert is more athletic than he looks and is a determined runner who knows where he has to go to keep the chains moving.

Good intangibles for the position. Didn't seem fazed by hostile environments (Ohio State, Boise State) and is the first three-time captain in Miami history.

WEAKNESSES: Played out of a shotgun-heavy offense in 2012 that simplified his reads and made the vast majority of his throws underneath tosses that simply don't translate to the NFL. Rarely asked to drive the ball down the field and may not possess the velocity to slip balls through tight windows. Highly inconsistent accuracy on the move, often forcing his receivers to adjust their routes.

COMPARES TO: Josh McCown, QB, Chicago Bears -- Just like McCown, Dysert possesses enough natural talent to potentially warrant a top 100 selection, but he's a work in progress who has shown just average accuracy on the types of throws he'll be asked to make in the NFL.

http://www.cbssports...1626/zac-dysert

That CBS evaluation kind of cracks me up, although I am sure they did not mean to.

This comment, "Highly inconsistent accuracy on the move, often forcing his receivers to adjust their routes"... so when this QB is running for his life his craptastic receivers actually had to adjust their routes.

Seriously?

Good receivers come back to their QB when he is forced to run out of the pocket, or at least adjust their routes to be a better target - that is just football 101 for receivers. Then again, I would not expect any of the Miami of Ohio WRs to be on anyone's draft board as none of them even made any of the top 300 draft prospect lists that I have looked at and some of those lists include prospects from such WR factories like Rutgers and Army.

That CBS evaluation kind of cracks me up, although I am sure they did not mean to.

This comment, "Highly inconsistent accuracy on the move, often forcing his receivers to adjust their routes"... so when this QB is running for his life his craptastic receivers actually had to adjust their routes.

Seriously?

Good receivers come back to their QB when he is forced to run out of the pocket, or at least adjust their routes to be a better target - that is just football 101 for receivers. Then again, I would not expect any of the Miami of Ohio WRs to be on anyone's draft board as none of them even made any of the top 300 draft prospect lists that I have looked at and some of those lists include prospects from such WR factories like Rutgers and Army.

What cracked me up was this...

"While not particularly elusive or fast, Dysert is more athletic than he looks"

That screams of code words for slow white dude who looked athletic enough for the Mac conference but will get eaten alive in the NFL...LOL The guy didn't run a 40 yard dash at the combine because he had a pulled hamstring, a month later at his pro day he said he couldn't run it because the hammy was about 85 percent...LOL I put Dysert in the same class as Nassib and Barkley. Just waaaaaay to slow to be a starter in the NFL.

What cracked me up was this...

"While not particularly elusive or fast, Dysert is more athletic than he looks"

That screams of code words for slow white dude who looked athletic enough for the Mac conference but will get eaten alive in the NFL...LOL The guy didn't run a 40 yard dash at the combine because he had a pulled hamstring, a month later at his pro day he said he couldn't run it because the hammy was about 85 percent...LOL I put Dysert in the same class as Nassib and Barkley. Just waaaaaay to slow to be a starter in the NFL.

And his arm is no great shakes either. I will be surprised if he is drafted at all.

Edited by Bill from NYC

LOL I put Dysert in the same class as Nassib and Barkley. Just waaaaaay to slow to be a starter in the NFL.

The thing is though, I would say quarterback foot speed is probably the least important factor in grading a quarterback's NFL-worthiness.

Kind of like the Manning brothers. They'll never make it at this level.

jb

Defending the other viewpoint, the difference is that the Manning brothers have "elite arm talent" whereas Dysert, Nassib, and Barkley do not.