Zac Dysert - QB - Miami of Ohio

What cracked me up was this...

"While not particularly elusive or fast, Dysert is more athletic than he looks"

That screams of code words for slow white dude who looked athletic enough for the Mac conference but will get eaten alive in the NFL...LOL The guy didn't run a 40 yard dash at the combine because he had a pulled hamstring, a month later at his pro day he said he couldn't run it because the hammy was about 85 percent...LOL I put Dysert in the same class as Nassib and Barkley. Just waaaaaay to slow to be a starter in the NFL.

And his arm is no great shakes either. I will be surprised if he is drafted at all.

He runs a 4.65 40, hardly slow. He's got excellent arm strength.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that very hard to believe. Do you have a link to this 4.65 40 run by Dysert?

He did say that he will run drills before the draft so we should have a definitive answer. As for the people comparing Dysert to Peyton Manning? Really?

Defending the other viewpoint, the difference is that the Manning brothers have "elite arm talent" whereas Dysert, Nassib, and Barkley do not.

100% agree. My only point was that 40 yard dash numbers are nice, but over-rated IMO when evaluating QB talent.

EDIT: I remember way back when... Steve Tasker was commenting on 40 yard dash times. He was saying some guys, while not having the best 40 yard times have good "game speed". I guess film study is the only way to evaluate that.

jb

Edited by jaybee

100% agree. My only point was that 40 yard dash numbers are nice, but over-rated IMO when evaluating QB talent.

EDIT: I remember way back when... Steve Tasker was commenting on 40 yard dash times. He was saying some guys, while not having the best 40 yard times have good "game speed". I guess film study is the only way to evaluate that.

jb

When you are over 5 seconds you had better be tall, have a great arm, make quick decisions with the added ability to move well in the pocket.

That's what takes Nassib, Barkley and Dysert off the board of QBs with franchise starter potential.

Edited by 1billsfan

If you can move well in the pocket and make good decisions you don't need a good forty time. The many great pocket passers we've seen over the years prove it.

I get that seeing guys like Wilson, Kaep and Griffin doing it a different way is exciting, but it's far from the only way to move the ball.

I watched all of Dysert's games from this season. Whatever his 40 time, he's plenty mobile enough. Certainly noticeably more mobile and quick than Nassib. The difference in the quality of their opponents is pretty much negligible IMO.

When you are over 5 seconds you had better be tall, have a great arm, make quick decisions with the added ability to move well in the pocket.

That's what takes Nassib, Barkley and Dysert off the board of QBs with franchise starter potential.

I tend to feel the same way. I have to re-watch Nassib and Barkley but as many have been saying, these guys all seem to have low ceilings. From a purely physical standpoint the same could probably be said for Tyler Wilson although I like his intangibles the best.

If you can move well in the pocket and make good decisions you don't need a good forty time. The many great pocket passers we've seen over the years prove it.

I get that seeing guys like Wilson, Kaep and Griffin doing it a different way is exciting, but it's far from the only way to move the ball.

Yeah the 40 time is probably the least important measurable for a QB.

In every report of Dysert's 40 time, it's never been over 5 seconds.

And his arm is no great shakes either. I will be surprised if he is drafted at all.

Dysert partially tore his hamstring gearing up for the combine, but has run 40's in the 4.6 range up to 4.8. He is a bit bigger now at 6-3 230 so I would expect numbers up around 4.8. He is not going to outrun a corner or safety, but if anyone watches tape of this kid you see someone who does a very good job sliding and avoiding pressure in the pocket because that is all he had at Miami of Ohio. He gets comparisons to Big Ben because he has a pretty big frame and does a really good job extending plays.

Not sure where the arm strength comments come from. Probably one source that gets parroted over and over again. Well here are some other sites and "professional" opinions on his arm strength.

http://www.sbnation....scouting-report

http://www.nfl.com/d...sert?id=2539258

http://www.draftbrow...ile-zac-dysert/

That last one from a Cleveland Brown's analysis actually says that he may possess the best deep ball of the all the draft QBs though he rarely had time behind his line for such a route to develop.

What I have seen on film is a kid that has a quick tight release who is forced to make quick decisions and get the ball out of his hands in a hurry. If Dysert had played at USC with that supporting cast of receivers and offensive line that Barkley had to work with folks would not even be questioning whether he can get the ball there. Some other poster actually compared him with captain checkdown which is ridiculous because if Edwards was checking down to 20 and 35 yard passes I think we would have been happy.

Personally, I would rather take a QB that gets rid of the ball because he has defenders in his face or hanging off him and still aims for the sticks, than a Glennon whom folks say has a cannon arm, but panics and rarely throws it over 10 yards with no pressure on him.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth

I watched all of Dysert's games from this season. Whatever his 40 time, he's plenty mobile enough. Certainly noticeably more mobile and quick than Nassib. The difference in the quality of their opponents is pretty much negligible IMO.

I tend to feel the same way. I have to re-watch Nassib and Barkley but as many have been saying, these guys all seem to have low ceilings. From a purely physical standpoint the same could probably be said for Tyler Wilson although I like his intangibles the best.

Yeah the 40 time is probably the least important measurable for a QB.

This... and I have to take a longer look at Wilson and Bray. Out of those two, I like Bray's gunslinger mentality to win at all costs, but I do not see Marrone getting along with someone that has some character issues and goes off the reservation and plays outside the system, Wilson would probably be a better fit.

The Bills plan to do private workouts with 6 QB prospects so far they have done so with Smith and plan to do another with Manuel. I think the field will narrow better after we see the order in which they look at other QB's. They did attend Dysert's pro-day and it will be interesting to see if he is in the mix. If not, then I think they will not go that route - 2 down four more prospects to go.

I still think if they pass in the 1st round the best remaining QB options will be:

Manuel (arguably the best athlete but probably would not fit the k-gun system Marrone is implementing)

Dysert (obviously I think he would fit the up-temp offensive system nicely and has upside)

Wilson (I have to look at more, but I think he could be coached up)

Bray (I don't see Marrone going this route with the off field issues, but who knows Buddy loves the SEC)

After that, I see a real rocky road of projects

Edited by ColdBlueNorth