Whew! What a week.

TPS

After watching Marrone's presser, & listening to Murph's interview with Hackett & Pettine, I agree with this 100%! There will come a point in time, and not too far into next season, when we'll all realize how mediocre our coaching staff has been over the past decade.

Yessir! I have to admit that while watching Murph's interview with Pettine in particular I was impressed. When he was asked if we would be "4-3 or 3-4" he basically said "We are going to be both." (paraphrasing) He seems to want to create a defense that fits the players as opposed to forcing the players to play in a scheme. In the NFL today you have to be able to bring pressure while attempting your best not to give away any pre-snap reads to a QB. Guys like Brady and Rodgers tear you apart if they can figure you out before they have to snap the ball.

So far I have been fairly pleased with the way this has all played out. Marrone seems like he is hungry and gets a little extra motivation knowing he has to turn this thing around. Appears to like to challenge himself and there is no bigger challenge in the NFL today than bringing the Buffalo Bills back to greatness.

So far I have been fairly pleased with the way this has all played out. Marrone seems like he is hungry and gets a little extra motivation knowing he has to turn this thing around. Appears to like to challenge himself and there is no bigger challenge in the NFL today than bringing the Buffalo Bills back to greatness.

+1.

Lets hope they can sign some nice additions. Like QB, WR, LB's and maybe a little depth at O line. For starters !

jaybee

I for one will defend Gailey's offense. I think he did a very good job given what he was working with. He made a lot of good decisions. A lot of the people complaining that it should have been a run first offense neglect to notice how much the team did run, or realize that neither Jackson nor Spiller was a Mashawn-type "move the pile" running back--they quite often got stuffed in short yardage situations, and if the team tried to muscle up and run a ground and pound offense the opposing defense would simply have stuffed the box and stopped the--as they so often did in short yardage. The fact that Spiller might average 6 yards a carry did not mean that he could get you two yards when the defense was expecting a run, as we saw many times.

The difference between Jauron's offense and Gailey's was night and day.

Now Gailey's defenses were another matter--probably the worst Bills defenses over a three-year period since the late 60s-early 70s. That was the true source of the failures of this team over the last three years. A team that could be up 21-7 on the Pats in the third quarter and give up another 45 points in a quarter and a half.

I have high hopes for the new administration and coaches, but I am not convinced the offense will necessarily be better. I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude on that. Be careful what you wish for.

I for one will defend Gailey's offense. I think he did a very good job given what he was working with. He made a lot of good decisions. A lot of the people complaining that it should have been a run first offense neglect to notice how much the team did run, or realize that neither Jackson nor Spiller was a Mashawn-type "move the pile" running back--they quite often got stuffed in short yardage situations, and if the team tried to muscle up and run a ground and pound offense the opposing defense would simply have stuffed the box and stopped the--as they so often did in short yardage. The fact that Spiller might average 6 yards a carry did not mean that he could get you two yards when the defense was expecting a run, as we saw many times.

Now Gailey's defenses were another matter--probably the worst Bills defenses over a three-year period since the late 60s-early 70s. That was the true source of the failures of this team over the last three years. A team that could be up 21-7 on the Pats in the third quarter and give up another 45 points in a quarter and a half.

I have high hopes for the new administration and coaches, but I am not convinced the offense will necessarily be better. I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude on that. Be careful what you wish for.

Don't miscontrue Dr. I said I liked his offense, and that it looks like the new regime's will be very similar. I also said I liked his calling for the most part, but there were some things I just didn't like. My impression is that these guys will be even better, which doesn't mean that Gailey was terrible.

Cheers!

Ps. Don't you miss PPP? :w00t:

This week was not about Player Personnel. It was more about building the coaching side of the team. We still have a lot of work on that side having to hire the position coaches. Only after that, the coaching staff can truly evaluate the current personnel of the team and identify what needs to be done in FA and then the draft.

And this time, since they are moving swiftly, staff should be in place soon enough to make evaluations well before free agency starts!

If pace contiues for initial free agency period there appears to be cap space to target who they decide is worth going after intead of sweeping up the leftovers.

I predict we'll have a better offense - with a legitimate QB - an offense that is more rounded - can go no-huddle, elements of both Gailey and the Saints, and other offenses, too. That, as others have mentioned, was Gailey's weakness - he couldn't run an offense that best suited what he had; instead he tried to force the offense into a QB carried unit. His inability to mix it up, try new things, new personnel, hurt his units, and made him predictable.

And I see out defense as going from lower 10 to top 10. We already have a solid group. Add some more talent in critical areas, a good offseason, a hungry mastermind coordinator, and we'll have a totally different unit this year.

I see both units as finally getting an identity. People will know what kind of team they're going to be playing by the mid-point of the season, and it'll be a dynamic, tough team. We're back.

Don't miscontrue Dr. I said I liked his offense, and that it looks like the new regime's will be very similar. I also said I liked his calling for the most part, but there were some things I just didn't like. My impression is that these guys will be even better, which doesn't mean that Gailey was terrible.

Cheers!

Ps. Don't you miss PPP? :w00t:

I don't miss PPP very much. The aggravation was not worth the effort, and reasoned argument always seemed to be overwhelmed by ranting--even by me.

I'm still just as political, but I express it in different ways.

Go with God.

Dr. K

Yep. Be careful what you wish for indeed. Gailey did get a lot out of a bunch of no-names. And, he was not conservative or one dimensional in doing it. He used all different sets, spread, wildcat, pistol ... lots of different stuff. At different times, the Bills had very good production in their passing AND running games. What bugged me about Gailey here and at Georgia Tech is his stubborn refusal to move ahead at the QB position. For too many seasons, I watched him try to wring that last drop of turnip juice out of a guy at the QB position when it was just killing the entire team. Don't even care why, but Chan was and is incredibly hard headed when it came to trying to breath life into a QB situation that wasn't working. In retrospect, it was a career killing move to walk into this job with the idea that anyone could make lemonade out the lemons Edwards, Fitzpatrick, and Brohm.

Edit: The other career killer was that Gailey blew it hugely with respect to the defense. It was a sort of abdication of being the head coach to focus on being the coordinator of the offense, a bit of outsourcing that part of the product. Gailey might even have survived another season if it hadn't become plainly obvious that the defense went into full-on coasting to close out the season.

Yep. Be careful what you wish for indeed. Gailey did get a lot out of a bunch of no-names. And, he was not conservative or one dimensional in doing it. He used all different sets, spread, wildcat, pistol ... lots of different stuff. At different times, the Bills had very good production in their passing AND running games. What bugged me about Gailey here and at Georgia Tech is his stubborn refusal to move ahead at the QB position. For too many seasons, I watched him try to wring that last drop of turnip juice out of a guy at the QB position when it was just killing the entire team. Don't even care why, but Chan was and is incredibly hard headed when it came to trying to breath life into a QB situation that wasn't working. In retrospect, it was a career killing move to walk into this job with the idea that anyone could make lemonade out the lemons Edwards, Fitzpatrick, and Brohm.

Edit: The other career killer was that Gailey blew it hugely with respect to the defense. It was a sort of abdication of being the head coach to focus on being the coordinator of the offense, a bit of outsourcing that part of the product. Gailey might even have survived another season if it hadn't become plainly obvious that the defense went into full-on coasting to close out the season.

Okay. Is it turnips or is it lemons?

Great post btw.

If you want to stay excited, don't examine our current QB situation too closely. :bag:

or the offense...

I'm hoping Morrone keeps using the spread set and simply runs more from it, IDC who the QB is.

My highest priority is a LBer, WR, QB in any order as I'm not really sold on this years crop of QB's

I'm in 100 percent agreement here.

It took me a while to figure out why you said "Whix"

I prefer Marronix.

or the offense...

I'm hoping Morrone keeps using the spread set and simply runs more from it, IDC who the QB is.

My highest priority is a LBer, WR, QB in any order as I'm not really sold on this years crop of QB's

This order is important.

The pickings at #8 for QB and LB43 are more flawed than a pick of WR:

In RD2#40, the QB pickings have value, and so does LB43. If we're looking at LB34, then we're good in RD1.

I liked Gailey. He did alot with a little. And those spread formations would be more popular if the play calling was executed. TOO many drops and misses at critical points. He should have been the o coordinator or appointed one 2 years ago.

But he did screw himself with out a doubt.

Fitz and wansstadt. And then he lost the team, also because of Fitz and Wannstadt.

But we are headed for excitement. Just listen to Hackett speak. Whether its after a syracuse game or his introductory presser or with the lemur. This guy is smart as hell and his enthusiasm is conatgious.

Pettine also is smart and just seems dialed in. He looks mean too !

Oh Hell yes

GO BILLS !!

I prefer Marronix.

This order is important.

The pickings at #8 for QB and LB43 are more flawed than a pick of WR:

In RD2#40, the QB pickings have value, and so does LB43. If we're looking at LB34, then we're good in RD1.

Alot of this seasons success will hinge on getting the right players. As far as what we have now to field is not going to take us very far. Draft is very important again

No Buddy we are not even "close