46 Formation

I remember watching a highlight video of Anderson after he was signed.

I remember that he used hustle and speed for all of his sacks and that many of them were coverage sacks.

It seemed clear that he didn't have a power component to his game or much in the way of polished moves.

That said, he's had double digit sack totals twice in his career. It seems that if the coordinator can play to his strengths, that he could be a good weapon. ThenI got to wondering about using him standing up instead of with his hand in the dirt.

Unfortunately the 6 other seasons (5 of which are between those two productive years) add up to only 14 sacks and only 1 forced fumble. 2 good, 6 bad is a bit worrisome for the deal he got.

Talking to your observations - when you couple it with being a role player in a fierce bears defense one year, and playing behind the pats scoring machine the other - it makes sense that a speed guy without a ton of moves would have his best years in those spots. I think his position will ultimately matter less than playing with a lead, and as the 3rd or 4th best pass rusher will. Get our offense on track and hopefully get him to use that speed against single blockers.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the 6 other seasons (5 of which are between those two productive years) add up to only 14 sacks and only 1 forced fumble. 2 good, 6 bad is a bit worrisome for the deal he got.

Talking to your observations - when you couple it with being a role player in a fierce bears defense one year, and playing behind the pats scoring machine the other - it makes sense that a speed guy without a ton of moves would have his best years in those spots. I think his position will ultimately matter less than playing with a lead, and as the 3rd or 4th best pass rusher will. Get our offense on track and hopefully get him to use that speed against single blockers.

Good points.

I don't have a feel for the texture of the 2013 draft yet but I believe in drafting pass rushers every year. I thought it was a mistake to go free agency with pass rushers last year because I thought there were too many good draftable pass rushers.

I liked Bruce Irvin, Melvin Ingram, Quinton Coples, Chandler Jones, Nick Perry, and Andre Branch all very much.

I wasn't as high on Whitney Mercilus or Shea McClellin but they were there too.

All things being equal, I see pass rusher as a primary need, just below quarterback and even with wide receiver.

I could care less about this 43, 44, or 46 nonsense. How many times are we going to debate defensive schemes that we will barely use? The Nickel and it's variations seem to be the true base defenses these days, the %'s don't lie. If you can't stop an offense out of the Nickel your QB better throw at least 5 TDs or you'll probably lose. The Jets played a 4 man front over 70% of the time with a lot of DBs on the field. Without Jenkins in the middle they have succumbed to being a 4 DL defense. Has anybody watched the Jets play the last 2 seasons?

I could care less about this 43, 44, or 46 nonsense. How many times are we going to debate defensive schemes that we will barely use? The Nickel and it's variations seem to be the true base defenses these days, the %'s don't lie. If you can't stop an offense out of the Nickel your QB better throw at least 5 TDs or you'll probably lose. The Jets played a 4 man front over 70% of the time with a lot of DBs on the field. Without Jenkins in the middle they have succumbed to being a 4 DL defense. Has anybody watched the Jets play the last 2 seasons?

it's not about the scheme it's about the type of personal you want to use. The Jets didn't exclusively use a 34 but there personal are 34 guys so look for us to get these kinds of players.

it's not about the scheme it's about the type of personal you want to use. The Jets didn't exclusively use a 34 but there personal are 34 guys so look for us to get these kinds of players.

Sorry brother, but the Jets 3-4 is a 1 gap system that typically uses 4 DL. Again, the Jets since Jenkins have drafted for a 4 man front and are trending to emphasizing DBs over the typical OLB. Expect personnel for a 4-3 that will line up in an under or over less than 40% of the time with far more nickel and dime alignments. All teams are forced to use the Nickel and Dime to keep up with spread alignments, why aren't we asking each other what personnel we need to play out of those alignments? Perhaps teams should start drafting for a single gap nickel base defense instead of investing so heavily in LBrs that will usually be on the bench with the game on the line.

Anderson may be a situational pass rusher at best, especially because he's injury prone and inconsistent. Pretty expensive...maybe re-sign Moore cheaper to do the same thing and release Anderson. Could use the extra cap space to look at a Free Agent like Kruger who can play that strongside, and allow M.Williams to rush the passer.

If they think Miliner can play press man right away, got to take him at 8. If not, maybe DRC or Asomugha if he gets cut.

I tell ya....in that last game against the Jets Merriman was knocking the snot outta people!

1) the only meaning this game had was to audition for a job.

2) why did he get cut and 31 teams have zero interest ?

3) When he did come back he was not a factor

I noticed than Merrimen played better run D than pass rusher when they brought him in (which I was surprised about at the time considering his SD days) and it has been the case since he has been here (when healthy), he sets the edge well. Kelsey runs right by it a lot (always has, even in the Arron S. days) it is his weakness in the 4/3 (where covering RBs out of the backfield is in the 3/4 along with that). The real question with Shawn in my mind is can he last a season, with out injury.

You guys do realize the Bills used to use a 46 under Gregg Williams right?

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2009/3/30/809612/gregg-williams-a-complete

"In short, it's a 46 defense also known originally as the Bear 46. It was created by Buddy Ryan while he was the defensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears and the name comes not from any formation but from Bears safety Doug Plank's jersey number."

You guys do realize the Bills used to use a 46 under Gregg Williams right?

http://www.canalstre...iams-a-complete

"In short, it's a 46 defense also known originally as the Bear 46. It was created by Buddy Ryan while he was the defensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears and the name comes not from any formation but from Bears safety Doug Plank's jersey number."

It's a mark of how desperate we are that Wanny makes us be willing to even look at anything Williams touched. Of course ten years ago I didn't understand football as well as I do now so it never clicked. Still, I relish the chance of being aggressive again on defense. People keep trying to emulate the Pats, and the only way to stop that is to apply pressure. Without it, how many times have we seen Brady pick apart a zone?