Don't worry about base scheme - 34. 43, 46

It's mostly irrelevant. Bills fans bitched and moaned about the 34 defense and the players not being suited in that base scheme under Edwards for a year but with a switch to the 43 under Dave Wannstedt we had historically one of the worst defenses in Bills history. Base scheme is only a small part to the overall pitcure.

The point is people obsess over this player in this base scheme that player in 43. Don't obsess over it. Pettine runs a combo of 34, 43 and 46. His speciality actually uses 4 NOT 3 defensive lineman. The great thing about Pettine is he is not a one trick pony.

I agree with you for the most part. I read an ariticle a few years ago about the Bears 4-3 cover 2 defense the year the went to the super bowl. According to the aritcle the Bears were only in their base 4-3 46% of the time. On the other hand, the constant switching of base defenses cannot be good for this franchise.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

It's mostly irrelevant. Bills fans bitched and moaned about the 34 defense and the players not being suited in that base scheme under Edwards for a year but with a switch to the 43 under Dave Wannstedt we had historically one of the worst defenses in Bills history. Base scheme is only a small part to the overall pitcure.

The point is people obsess over this player in this base scheme that player in 43. Don't obsess over it. Pettine runs a combo of 34, 43 and 46. His speciality actually uses 4 NOT 3 defensive lineman. The great thing about Pettine is he is not a one trick pony.

sounds good to me. it would be nice to have a dc with knowledge of multiple defensive bases, and how to attack and cover out of all of them. and i guess the really important thing will be if this guy can match the proper system to the personel.

Pettine is all about creativity and most importantly adjustments and adapting personnel and scheme whether its 34, 43 or 46. This guy is a change of guard for Buffalo. Complete 360 from Wannstedt.

"A year and a half after Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine devised one of the most creative defensive game plans in NFL history, the duo quietly made a shift that could jolt a lagging pass rush. Gang Green dressed an unthinkable 11 defensive backs — 25% of the active roster — to stymie Tom Brady in a 28-21 divisional playoff win over the Patriots in January of 2011.

For the better part of three seasons, Pettine and Ryan have relied on innovative and unconventional tactics to create havoc within the framework of their 3-4 scheme. Although the Jets will retain some of those 3-4 roots, Pettine admitted that “we’re going to be more 4-3” to generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks. The Jets have finished 18th, seventh and 17th in the league in sacks under Ryan.

Pettine went so far as to predict that the Jets may not play any 3-4 base defense in their six AFC East games that feature three teams with spread offenses. “We might not play a snap of base defense in a division game this year,” Pettine said. “If it’s five snaps a game, that’s probably a lot.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-scrap-3-4-defense-times-article-1.1096110

It is SOOOO EXCITING!!!! I think any defensive minded coach would love to take over this roster. We are one offseason away from being a good defense (top 10) and two offseasons away from being top 5, I think. Why two years? I say that because year one we'll no doubt be walking away from the first three rounds of the draft with a QB, and a LB or two, maybe a WR. Either way, if I'm looking at our roster and trying to make the defense into a historically great defense, which any new coordinator is shooting for, then I'm looking to keep our D-line, Bradham and Bennett, and most of our secondary. I could see us really having a great secondary if Williams, perhaps, warms up to the Safety position - unless he can catch on to the CB spot - and Gilmore/Brooks being a terrific CB duo. Basically, two linebackers and maybe a CB and we're in great shape.

Now, if we go 3-4, we're 2-3 linebackers away, plus a huge NT. Those players could be aquired in 2 years.

I'm in agreement with the original poster: Pettine will be able to do any system he decides on, and we'll be just fine. Another thing to think about - and smile while doing so - Pettine and Ryan will be COMPETING, now, every year, for the better defense. I LOVE IT!!! Our players - heck, the whole football world - knows about the JETS reputation for defense. Our players will buy into this new system. They'll finally be able to go out onto the field knowing their coach might be the best there is. That kind of belief in the system and in the preparations has been visibly lacking for almost 2 decades. No more.

Edited by KeisterHollow

Pettine is all about creativity and most importantly adjustments and adapting personnel and scheme whether its 34, 43 or 46. This guy is a change of guard for Buffalo. Complete 360 from Wannstedt.

"A year and a half after Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine devised one of the most creative defensive game plans in NFL history, the duo quietly made a shift that could jolt a lagging pass rush. Gang Green dressed an unthinkable 11 defensive backs — 25% of the active roster — to stymie Tom Brady in a 28-21 divisional playoff win over the Patriots in January of 2011.

For the better part of three seasons, Pettine and Ryan have relied on innovative and unconventional tactics to create havoc within the framework of their 3-4 scheme. Although the Jets will retain some of those 3-4 roots, Pettine admitted that “we’re going to be more 4-3” to generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks. The Jets have finished 18th, seventh and 17th in the league in sacks under Ryan.

Pettine went so far as to predict that the Jets may not play any 3-4 base defense in their six AFC East games that feature three teams with spread offenses. “We might not play a snap of base defense in a division game this year,” Pettine said. “If it’s five snaps a game, that’s probably a lot.”

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1096110

Thanks! This is great insight into Pettine. I like his creativity and flexibility. Seems like he'll be able to find a way to make the current roster effective.

Prediction, and hope: Pettine will never blame the defensive woes on players simply not "fitting it up." He will attack QBs with multiple schemes. He will also never say "We live and die by our front 4."

3-4, 4-3, 10-1, I could care less what the scheme is, as long as we attack, minimize the run, and prevent big plays.

Yea, I was at that game. They just ran simple misdirection plays for the 2nd half and gashed us for what? 300 yards?

Yeah something like that. Didn't we give up 300 yards rushing and 300 yards passing to a team in a single game this year?

I know this will come as a surprise to most but our nickel package (like the rest of Wannstedts D) was too predictable.

that may be so but they used 34 personnel.