Argument against Fitz

Arm strength is definitely a question and he missed some open receivers this year, but does anyone who thinks he was the reason we lost the games we did have any idea how terrible our defense was in the entire history of our organization and the league. I am not saying that we should not let him go because we could do a lot with three million dollars and Levitre resigned, but that seems like a big gamble with Thigpen in the bullpen. We lost games because of our defense. Fitz didn't help his cause, but an average defense gets us at 8 and 8.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty fair analysis. Fitz did cost us a couple of winnable games, but he played well in most of them. With a stronger supporting cast and a good (not great) defense we could have pulled off a winning record. Since his salary will go against the cap regardless, and we don't know how misc. rookie replacement will do, it would be a good idea to keep him unless we make a play for Alex Smith. He's not great, but he's better than the last 3 QBs we had.

Arm strength is definitely a question and he missed some open receivers this year, but does anyone who thinks he was the reason we lost the games we did have any idea how terrible our defense was in the entire history of our organization and the league. I am not saying that we should not let him go because we could do a lot with three million dollars and Levitre resigned, but that seems like a big gamble with Thigpen in the bullpen. We lost games because of our defense. Fitz didn't help his cause, but an average defense gets us at 8 and 8.

I have one thing to say lets look up how many times Fitz targeted a receiver over 15 yards down the field and give me the completion percentage. I don't have that stat handy (sure someone will) but I bet its abysmal. An Nfl QB cannot miss that many throws down field and some really badly and expect to keep defenses honest period.

Well, I will say this .... When Marrone took over at Syracuse He wooed Greg Paulus from Duke. Paulus lettered 4 years as a point guard for Coach K but did not play football. He had a year of eligibility left (I don't know why). But Paulus was a QB at CBA in Syracuse in high school and a very good one, but chose a scholarship at Duke and eventually lost his starting point guard position.

Long story short. Marrone brought him to Syracuse to be the starting QB, which also put some fans in the seats because Paulus was a local product, plus he had national prominance from playing hoop at Duke. The kid had arm strength worse than Fitz, and probably as inaccurate. He also was only aboiut 6'0"', but he was smart, mobile, read defenses pretty well. Cuse only won 4 games that year but there were times that Paulus was exciting.

So, Marrone had a noodle armed QB with absolutely no talent surrounding the him because Marrone was left with a horrible program and to boot had a dozen players leave the team because they couldn't handle Marrone's rules.

So, Marrone may look at Fitz from a different perspective than we do. For all we know, he may be convinced he is salvageable or at least good enough to live with next season. If he does though, he's not gonna coddle Fitz like Gailey did. At the very least I believe the Bills sign a veteran QB that will give Fitz serious competition as well as drafting the future QB in Rd. 1 or 2 and prrepare him to start in 2014.

List of issues:

1. No consistency at the position.

2. Had no touch on the long ball. Missed them most of the time.

3. Was scared throwing the long ball forcing the defense to stack up the line and stop the running game.

4. Threw interceptions when game was on the line.

5. Never looked like a leader in charge on the field (Always sitting on the bench with his head down). Did not get the attention or focus of his players who ended up dropping passes.

6. Became too predictable and opponents were easily guessing his plays.

it appears fitz is always going to be what he is, around the twentieth best starting qb in the nfl. i was hoping he was going to make it to around twelveth under david lee but that just didnt happen

hes also paid at a level thats about the twentieth starting qb in the nfl, which can be either good or bad. good is that at least hes not overpaid and gives us a few more options. bad is that its too much if youre looking to get that top twelve quy (aka franchise qb), and in todays nfl you pretty much have to go for the franchise guy or your chances at a title drop precipitously

hes not nearly as bad as the fans are portraying him now, but hes still sort of an albatross for the bills. he does have value in the nfl as a starter but right now its unlikely to return much in trade unless some team gets reeally desperate because you can get almost twentieth best qb production from available free agent veterans for less. so hed have to rework his contract, and if he does that the bills might as well consider keeping him until their next guy is ready

ill just say this, thank god im not making that decision. if dougie decides to try to fix fitz im fine with that, if he starts over with somebody else im fine with that. and thank god i dont have to make that decision

No reason to dump Fitz until there is someone better to take the position. It may not be this year. I can live with him being the QB next year, especially if we draft a QB that may need to develop for a year. Of course, be Fitz or Mantitz I will support my Bills QB.

But please lets find the long term solution!

As a former Fitz backer who was optimistic he could improve under a new QB coach, we've seen everything we need ad naseum, cut in every which way possible: Chopped, julienned, sliced, diced, processed, mashed, pulsed, blended and juiced.

99 percent of Bills Nation knows Fitz juice is jive.

......but an average defense gets us at 8 and 8.

....and a good defense gets us 10 and 6

....and with a good coach gets us 12 and 4

....and with a decent QB gets us 14 and 2

....and with a good QB gets us 16 and 0

The defense is certainly a problem....but the QB play is just as big a problem.

December 5th saw Nix describe the Bills most pressing need as being: A Franchise Quarterback.

We haven't got one....we need one. It's irrelevant how good or bad the defense is.....we NEED a good QB & Fitz is not a good QB.

But finding another veteran QB to replace Fitz on the roster will eat up that $3 million and then some. I believe cutting Fitz will already count $10 million on next season's cap number. The Bills may be better off just keeping him for one more season while drafting the future QB this April.

Edited by Marc Miller

But finding another veteran QB to replace Fitz on the roster will eat up that $3 million and then some. I believe cutting Fitz will already count $10 million on next season's cap number. The Bills may be better off just keeping him for one more season while drafting the future QB this April.

Bills don't have a cap problem. But they probably don't want to pay a $10 million roster bonus in March to a guy who may not be on the roster this year.