Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

Who makes a better guy to root for...the AZ Card coach? The guy who couldn't win in Chicago with all that talent? Wiz and Lovie are proven zeroes. I will take Marrone. That program sucked when he arrived and despite a lack of talent at Cuse, he won. Look at Nassib video...he was a record setting QB with limited weapons.

It's definitely a dice roll but here's a guy who wants to be Bills coach and has been in WNY for a few years. Blls fans can be skeptical, but I'm a bit shocked to not find us rooting for a guy like this. It would be a great story...guy rebuilds awful WNY football college team, then goes on to Bills etc.

If you're bummed they didn't land Cowher or Gruden or Kelly, get over it. They were never coming. This came down to a bunch of also-ran retreads vs a guy with new blood.

Agree. Though the well reasoned approach will get ignored here. If so many football analysts, NFL coaches, players and GM's say he's worthy choice, who are we to say he can't do well?

For me, Marrone was my second choice behind Kelly, principally because of what inside experts thought of him. I know what the re-retreads have done (and inside reports on Lovie's low ceiling left me less than enthused), so I''m willing to take a chance with Marrone than go with the same old.

Bottom line: a few months ago, I never would have had Lovie Smith on my list of coaches, so why should I get upset to lose out on him now?

Edited by Max Fischer

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid cheap organization is what I say. and another marketing BS move. I don't care, flame me, but this is by far the worst news I could have expected. We are never going to win if we continue with this management. NOTHING has changed!!!!!! More darkness...

How exactly do you this as a marketing move?

I will wait and see. In my opinion, you can't crucify the guy or our front office before the draft or without seeing who is assembled as a supporting cast.

Positives:

Younger

More pro experience than Chip Kelly

Has numerous NFL contacts in Payton, Jets coaches, Saints

Runs a program that fits his personnel (ESPN article)

He can still bring back some Bills coaches that were let go

Hard worker and aggressive.

Hey, ya never know.

Another positive: as a former olineman he can beat the asses of any other coaches in the divsion. And who wouldnt want to see bellichick and Ryan taken down?

Negative: last bills coach who was on olineman = hank bullough

From someone who is frequently critical of this front office: I like this hire..

I'd much rather the Bills take a chance on a first-time head coach with fresh ideas than a retread coach (Lovie, Whisenhunt) who is set in his ways. I'm not at all worried about his lack of play calling experience. He showed in Syracuse he knows how to rebuild a PROGRAM, a skill of which this franchise is in desperate need.

Not to mention, having been in the collegiate game for much of his career, he can help this inept personnel department in evaluating college players. Is he a great gameday coach? Who knows. Is it a gamble? Absolutely. Love it.

@AlbertBreer

Two things I'm wondering on for Buffalo ... Do they try and poach Carmichael as OC? And do they draft Nassib, whose stock is rising?

I think we will see a lot of this:

Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

1/6/13, 7:20 AM

@BillsObserver I don't know Doug Marrone. His resume is OK. But many smart football people are head-over-heels with him. Like Parcells

serious question -- for those who say this is the cheapest move, wouldn't fired NFL coaches still be paid by their former teams, making them effectively cheaper (for a year or two) than paying a full salary for a Marrone?

No, the firing team is only on the hook if their is a difference in salary. For example, Lovie was set to make 2m and he took Bills job at 1m, Bears on hook for 1m

From someone who is frequently critical of this front office: I like this hire..

I'd much rather the Bills take a chance on a first-time head coach with fresh ideas than a retread coach (Lovie, Whisenhunt) who is set in his ways. I'm not at all worried about his lack of play calling experience. He showed in Syracuse he knows how to rebuild a PROGRAM, a skill of which this franchise is in desperate need.

Not to mention, having been in the collegiate game for much of his career, he can help this inept personnel department in evaluating college players. Is he a great gameday coach? Who knows. Is it a gamble? Absolutely. Love it.

Totally agree. I wanted a gamble with a high ceiling. I am fine with this. Excited, actually.

Look at this guys experience and marv's pre bills... maybe their careers here will be similiar as well. We can only hope.

Actually, let's hope he's more Payton and Parcells than Levy.

I really like this hire. Lovie and Whiz would always be thought of as Bears and Cards respectively. While both are good head coaches, neither are thought of top head coaches. This is what's great, we just may have hired a great NFL head coach. He comes approved by both Payton and Parcells, and I was worried that Marrone or Horton would be today's version of the Payton or Fox who we foolishly passed on years ago.

Edited by 1billsfan