your opinion on next season

ch19079

i think he will show some good things, but make a few young QB mistakes.

i predict:

140 yards per game.

1 TD every other game

1 INT every other game

i have a feeling we ill be in a similar situation next year as this year. hoping 2 teams will loose so we can get to the playoffs.

I'm willing to take a chance on him. He's had a year with Wyche, Mularkey, Clements, and Drew...He even got some mop up duty this year although not a lot

If we have a conservative game plan in the beginning, and go with our strengths (defense and special teams) we'll be alright...By mid season I'd expect Losman to progress quite nicely

In response to Manning, he got thrown in the fire his rookie year...Losman has now had one full year on the sidelines...also the kid has to start at some point

used to be a Bledsoe supporter, but have truly seen the light and won't turn back

are you willing to sit through 8 games if JP plays like Eli Manning did this year??

it could be eather really really bad or he may win a few.

how do you REALLY think he will perform??

194779[/snapback]

That would never happen because our team is nowhere near as bad as NYG. As long as JP doesnt do Aaron Brooks-esque things liek toss balls directly backwards to defenders, or throw tons of picks, we'd probobly be ok. He's alreay shown in preseasona nd limited action hs year that he doesnt have that Drew/RJ-like penchant for just sitting there while the defense engulfs him. If we start JP next yer I'd say we would end up somewhere between 8-8 and 11-5

are you willing to sit through 8 games if JP plays like Eli Manning did this year??

it could be eather really really bad or he may win a few.

how do you REALLY think he will perform??

194779[/snapback]

That's a tough one to call.

Will WM stay healthy and have an 1800 yd season?

Will Moulds and Reed continue to have the dropsies?

If WM stays healthy and Moulds gets back to his all pro capability, then JP should be allright.

That would never happen because our team is nowhere near as bad as NYG. As long as JP doesnt do Aaron Brooks-esque things liek toss balls directly backwards to defenders, or throw tons of picks, we'd probobly be ok.  He's alreay shown in preseasona nd limited action hs year that he doesnt have that Drew/RJ-like penchant for just sitting there while the defense engulfs him.  If we start JP next yer I'd say we would end up somewhere between 8-8 and 11-5

194786[/snapback]

In regular season action he showed the lovely prediliction toward throwing the ball on a rope while scrambling...to players with Patsies jerseys on . ;)

JP's talented, as his 2004 preseason showed. Projecting his regular season performance in 2005 is difficult at best right now. If we start him at the 2005 or he earns the job later in the season, I believe he'll be capable but will make the occasional bonehead young QB mistake. Projecting a record is tough...as a relative optimist I'll say 9-7. He'll make just enough bonehead mistakes to make many games tight down the stretch...and we all know how our D plays in tight games. :blink:

i'd rather go through 8 games of a rookie learning than 8 games of a veteran with so many limitations on the table, which every decent defensive coordinator knows how to exploit, that he's often a non-factor in games our defense wins and is often a major factor in losses.

that's bledsoe, folks. want a good example? we crushed the browns, right? how did drew perform in that game? look it up. we won that game with johnathan smith at QB. To give that W to drew is ludicrous

and there are 4 others just like it.

i love drew, and wish him well.

in dallas.

Yes it would be exciting. He will progress during pre-season and by calling lots of running plays JP will do fine. Since he is so mobile teams wont blitz as much. His legs will scorch them for blitzing.

It will be more fun than watching Bledsoe plod along for another year. Weve seen Bledsoe for three years now. Lets see what the new kid can do.

First of all.....this is what they need to do.....

As has been the way of things in the MM era...we need to keep going down that path......

- Last year we got Villyman....

- Last year we got FB Shelton

- All of our wide receivers are good running backs

We need to continue down that path....turn this ball club into a team that features Willis Magehee.....we need a road grating left guard (I like Tuckers nastyness but to tell the truth I think he might be an even better fit at center.......

There are actually 2 free agent tight ends this year who would really help this team....bubba franks and Freddie Jones.....both those guys are big athletic targets

To me the Josh Reed experiment is over.....either get an H-back....bring up Aiken.....whatever....the guy needs to be a big physical receiver who isn't afraid to go over the middle......

NOW.....that you have done all that.

Start Losman....dont throw everything to him at once. Have him play close to the vest at first....FACILITATE the offense....dont be a playmaker.....if nothing is open then run for the first down......

Folks...this is a plan that will work

Guest BackInDaDay
i'd rather go through 8 games of a rookie learning than 8 games of a veteran with so many limitations on the table, which every decent defensive coordinator knows how to exploit, that he's often a non-factor in games our defense wins and is often a major factor in losses.

that's bledsoe, folks. want a good example? we crushed the browns, right? how did drew perform in that game? look it up. we won that game with johnathan smith at QB. To give that W to drew is ludicrous

in dallas.

194844[/snapback]

Ditto. Play the kid and see if he's got what it takes.

JP was not the 12th QB picked in the 4th round, for crissake. The young man's got skills, now it's time to let him get used to the pace of the pro game.

Remind me, how many close games did Drew win? If JP makes stupid mistakes in close games, we lose too. If he makes the play that Drew cannot, we win one of those.

We know what Drew can do, and I think we have to see if Losman can do better. Personally, I don't care if we're 3-13 or 9-7, missing the playoffs is missing the playoffs. How friggin' long does old man Wilson think he's got? I read his quotes about DB and his 'better luck next time' attitude makes me wonder if he hasn't sold his soul to Satan. :blink:

To me the Josh Reed experiment is over.....either get an H-back....bring up Aiken.....whatever....the guy needs to be a big physical receiver who isn't afraid to go over the middle......

194947[/snapback]

TJ Housmanzadeh would be a great target, but his play late in the year is probably going to drive up his price. I was hoping to see more of Aiken, because he has the size to be that possession receiver. Hopefully he can make some major strides in the off-season.

in dallas.

194844[/snapback]

Your attitude towards this is pretty much the same as mind, but fortunately the decision for the Bills isn't up to you or up to me because we don't have enough imformation about JPs state of development or about whether the Bills will play as a TEAM with the ST and the D really cokking so we don't have to rely on Bledsoe to bail out subpar play by the D or ST (he can't and never has been the QB to do so consistently).

Fortunately as shown by the Bledsoe team coached to an SB by Parcells and by Bledsoe playing QB in the majority of a must-win game, if your team plays like a TEAM one only needs the QB to still do the tough but doable job of being a consistent threat, making a few big positive plays and not making a lot of big errors and a TEAM can make the big dance and even win it all.

I'd rather build for the future if there is no present glory to be had and thus I'd rather sit through the learning period than through the demise of a vet QB. However, the judgment that the Bills braintrust will need to make is whether the Bills are a good enough team to not demand a performance from Bledsoe is unlikely to give in big games and which it is impossible for him to pull off consistently in my view.

I think MM's call was the right one this year. At the point where I, and just about everybody else, had decided to throw in the towel (I didn't give up but after the second loss to NE I thought it was pretty logical for the fat lady to begin warming up her voice) MM and the TEAM stayed he course and were rewarded with a 9-6

record and a homefield shot at the 14-1 Steelers who were playing their 3rd and 4th string at key positions.

I think the real question here is not whether we think Bledsoe is good to go or not as a player capable of carrying the team to the SB (he ain't) or even whether 2nd year starter Losman can carry a team to the SB (he almost certainly can't as even productive first year starter RoboQB is being carried by Pitt toward the SB rather than carrying them). The real question is whether fans have faith in MM and the football crew in calling the games and the season correctly and whether one has faith in TD and the player acquisition crew in getting them the tools necessary to do the job.

My sense is that after watching an outstanding job by MM (this means Clements, Gray, April et al.) do a phenomenal job for a rookie HC. I have good faith in them making the right call as to whether this a team capable of making SB which in a big part will call on Bledsoe doing only what he has done well before. I also have faith in them with the job they have done rehabbing QBs like Kordell and Maddox and with the addition of the Wyche knowledge starting JP when he is ready to start and no sooner or later than that point/

I don't think any GM is perfect, but i think the better GMs give their teams close enough to the tools that they need that individuals can step up and do surprising jobs to make up for the GMs failure to be all seeing and all-knowing. TD has demonstrated to me that though he is far from perfect (good kickers are a dime a dozen, hiring GW, cutting Holecek and Jones after extending them only to have Raion Hill prove to be not good enough and Cowart get hurt with no back-up but Spoon) but he is good enough in my book to win it all if the players step up.

It has been said before, it will be said agian.

If your goal is to win the super bowl, Drew has shown he is not good enough, JP who knows but you have to take the chance.

Ben R. has shown that a rookie QB can play well if he is surrounded by good players. Our line will be better next year. Our d will be better.

Due to the difficulty of our schdule I wouldnt expect to go to the playoffs but I wouldnt count it out.

OUT

Losman has had enough exposure now to the the Bills system and some good position coaching in Sam Wyche that I would think he'll be at least where Manning was at the start of the 2004 season, if not a bit further along. Plus, Buffalo is a better team than the Giants.. I think the Bills would take a step backward starting Losman in 2005, but it would not be a huge step. Depending how he develops once he actually is starting, the Bills could have another strong finish, and might make the playoffs.

IF JP starts we hit a major fork in the road with a 5-11 season. Bledsoe Bashers will be confused about who to blame, they will become confused, disoriented, and violently convulze until their heads explode from over analyzing why we failed without using the phraze "It's all Drews Fault" but on a serious note, evenetually this is JP's team, I just don't believe it's JPs Team in 2005 and I think going the chad pennington route will untimatly benefit this team in the future.

I'd think we'd come up about the same we did this year... look at some of the mistakes Drew has made. I would expect JP to make mistakes as well. Buffalo's offense doesn't call for a Manning, it calls for someone who can just go 4 quarters without making a mistake.

Drew made mistakes.... JP would make mistakes.

That said, I think we'd have another 9-7/10-6... It's really a wash I think. JP will bust out of a few more sacks, perhaps scramble for a few more yards - but at the same time, he'll make more bonehead decisions.

Just my 2 cents.

Those who say they are willing to lose a bunch of games letting JP learn the job are lying. Think how we all felt at 0-4. Besides, we have a good team. Is it fair to Spikes, McGee, Evans, etc to say: "You guys play hard, but we plan to lose most of our games the next season or two so JP can learn." That'll go over like a fart in church. These guys I think have had enough of losing with Drew.

If I were king, I'd let Drew, JP, and a new free agent QB compete for the staters job. Up for grabs! May the best man win.

PTR