What this FO doesn't get!

The Buffalo Bills face Bill Belichick teams 2x a year with Tom Brady at QB.The ONLY way to compete against them is to hire an equally good HC and find an equally good QB.

Talk about daunting tasks!

Is Russ Brandon currently just blowing smoke again, and again like we have seen over the last 13 years? Change the coaching staff from inept to more inept. Bring in TO, Bring in Super Mario...A world class organization with world class people...

Now the GM is spouting we will get a QB this draft even if we need to trade up to do so. Oh, you mean like the Redskins did with RG3. So, the Bills finally plan on drafting a QB in a very weak QB class with 6 of the 7 teams in front of them all needing a QB. Its almost comical, if it weren't so sad.

Andy Reid is the very best coaching offensive candidate (recently fired) and there is no talk of him coming in to for an interview. Everywhere but Buffalo his name is mentioned. This exact same thing happened with Peyton Manning, he was out there and yet this FO / GM had no interest. Geez, he is only QBing the best team in the AFC this year.

No interview with Bill Cowher. No interview with Job Gruden (despite what was reported on this site, they in fact never spoke with Gruden) No interview with Andy Reid.

Ken Wisenhunt took a team to the SB, but did it in a division where the Cardinals won the division title with a 9-7 record, and with a retread SB QB. What will 9-7 get you in the AFC East ?

In my view about the only man I can think of that could build a team to compete against the Patriots every year is Bill Cowher. Ya wanna beat the best, you had better hire the best.

Other then Cowher...

Mike McCoy

Current job: Offensive coordinator, Denver Broncos

McCoy has 13 years of NFL coaching experience, including the past four as the Broncos offensive coordinator. Last season, his reputation around the NFL soared as a result of his handling of the transition from Kyle Orton to Tim Tebow. He completely overhauled his scheme in the middle of the season to accommodate Tebow's specific skill set. The Broncos finished the season with the NFL's No. 1 rushing attack. This season, he has smoothly transitioned his offense to suit Peyton Manning. They are currently ranked fourth in passing. Those rankings highlight McCoy's flexibility and willingness to adapt his scheme to his personnel.

If the man can win a division title, and win a playoff game against the Steelers with Tim Tebow at QB.... :worthy: Or was it the combination of McCoy as OC, John Fox as HC with Jack Del Rio as DC? Still, Tim Tebow?

http://www.nfl.com/n...oach-candidates

from another thread... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/manning-thinks-mccoy-has-what-it-takes-to-be-a-head-coach/

Edited by FeartheLosing

For NFL assistant/positonal coaches I like the idea of Mike McCoy and Darrell Bevell the most (Bevell is a guy that is totally underrated and deserves an interview). Cowher and Gruden are not gonna happen. I'm also concerned about Gruden and Cowher being analog players in the digital world and their ability to adapt. I want a guy that can adapt, not be stuck in a scheme. Aka Lovie Smith, Andy Reidd etc. Lovie and Reid are guys that would concern me A LOT IF they were hired. I want fresh way of thinking. McCoy and Bevell might be able to do this as well as a guy like Chip Kelly.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

From what I understand they are going to interview McCoy. So there's the chance of a "Mike Thomlin" moment where they get blown away by either someone like McCoy or Horton and hire them.

However, they do know Whisenhunt very well and he does check a lot of boxes as far as having the experience of being an NFL head coach who turned around a long losing team's culture and bringing them to a Superbowl. The relationship that they have with Whisenhunt is probably a huge factor in this. But they still do have the option of picking an unknown if they sense that they are a "hidden gem" coach waiting to be discovered. Guys like McCoy and Horton.

Edited by 1billsfan

I was listening to Sal Pal the other day n the radio and he feels interest in Reid is cooling off. He's not all that he's made out to be was the take on it. Once he lost Jim Johnson on Defense he was helpless. There were a couple of other points he made which I don't recall, but basically said hasn't won since Johnson died. So he certainly wasn't recommending Reid as the answer to everyone's dreams.

At this point Cowler may be gone too long to really have the fire anymore for the job. From what you've heard over the years, Buffalo may have had the longest talk with him so after all these years makes me question if he's really interested. Gruden you hear rumors that he's spread the word, he wants to coach again, where as you don't hear that about Cowler at all.

Other then Cowher...

Mike McCoy

McCoy has 13 years of NFL coach

The Buffalo Bills face Bill Belichick teams 2x a year with Tom Brady at QB.The ONLY way to compete against them is to hire an equally good HC and find an equally good QB.

Talk about daunting tasks!

Is Russ Brandon currently just blowing smoke again, and again like we have seen over the last 13 years? Change the coaching staff from inept to more inept. Bring in TO, Bring in Super Mario...A world class organization with world class people...

Now the GM is spouting we will get a QB this draft even if we need to trade up to do so. Oh, you mean like the Redskins did with RG3. So, the Bills finally plan on drafting a QB in a very weak QB class with 6 of the 7 teams in front of them all needing a QB. Its almost comical, if it weren't so sad.

Andy Reid is the very best coaching offensive candidate (recently fired) and there is no talk of him coming in to for an interview. Everywhere but Buffalo his name is mentioned. This exact same thing happened with Peyton Manning, he was out there and yet this FO / GM had no interest. Geez, he is only QBing the best team in the AFC this year.

No interview with Bill Cowher. No interview with Job Gruden (despite what was reported on this site, they in fact never spoke with Gruden) No interview with Andy Reid.

Ken Wisenhunt took a team to the SB, but did it in a division where the Cardinals won the division title with a 9-7 record, and with a retread SB QB. What will 9-7 get you in the AFC East ?

In my view about the only man I can think of that could build a team to compete against the Patriots every year is Bill Cowher. Ya wanna beat the best, you had better hire the best.

Other then Cowher...

Mike McCoy

McCoy has 13 years of NFL coaching experience, including the past four as the Broncos offensive coordinator. Last season, his reputation around the NFL soared as a result of his handling of the transition from Kyle Orton to Tim Tebow. He completely overhauled his scheme in the middle of the season to accommodate Tebow's specific skill set. The Broncos finished the season with the NFL's No. 1 rushing attack. This season, he has smoothly transitioned his offense to suit Peyton Manning. They are currently ranked fourth in passing. Those rankings highlight McCoy's flexibility and willingness to adapt his scheme to his personnel.

If the man can win a division title, and win a playoff game against the Steelers with Tim Tebow at QB.... :worthy: Or was it the combination of McCoy as OC, John Fox as HC with Jack Del Rio as DC? Still, Tim Tebow?

from another thread... http://profootballta...e-a-head-coach/

ing experience, including the past four as the Broncos offensive coordinator. Last season, his reputation around the NFL soared as a result of his handling of the transition from Kyle Orton to Tim Tebow. He completely overhauled his scheme in the middle of the season to accommodate Tebow's specific skill set. The Broncos finished the season with the NFL's No. 1 rushing attack. This season, he has smoothly transitioned his offense to suit Peyton Manning. They are currently ranked fourth in passing. Those rankings highlight McCoy's flexibility and willingness to adapt his scheme to his personnel.

from another thread... http://profootballta...e-a-head-coach/

Or maybe it was the extremely good defense that Denver had/has that allowed them to win with Tebow? I think Pittsburgh might've scored enough to beat Denver if the Broncos' D wasn't outstanding...

IMHO, the next head coach must possess the following characteristics:

1. He must be a good leader. Not necessarily "fiery" or "demonstrative", but the players must know who is in charge and want to follow him.

2. He must be able to identify and bring in a top-quality assistant coaching staff.

IMHO, Gailey's inability to bring in a quality DC doomed him. I admit that I thought that Dave Wannestadt would succeed, but I believe that the league's offenses have passed his vanilla schemes by. It is very hard for me to believe that a team with Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, an improving Alex Carrington and others could be as bad on D as the 2012 Bills were...

Its so simple!

:doh: All we have to do is find another best QB and coach in all of football!

PTR

Yea, why even bother trying...

Or maybe it was the extremely good defense that Denver had/has that allowed them to win with Tebow? I think Pittsburgh might've scored enough to beat Denver if the Broncos' D wasn't outstanding...

IMHO, the next head coach must possess the following characteristics:

1. He must be a good leader. Not necessarily "fiery" or "demonstrative", but the players must know who is in charge and want to follow him.

2. He must be able to identify and bring in a top-quality assistant coaching staff.

IMHO, Gailey's inability to bring in a quality DC doomed him. I admit that I thought that Dave Wannestadt would succeed, but I believe that the league's offenses have passed his vanilla schemes by. It is very hard for me to believe that a team with Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, an improving Alex Carrington and others could be as bad on D as the 2012 Bills were...

The Bills need to stop hiring these "maybe", retread, almost a winner coaches and concentrate on hiring the very best HC they can get.

It won't be easy or inexpensive to hire the best and get them to come to Buffalo.

Ken Wisenhunt...45-51 . 469% why are they even bothering? been to a SB

Jon Gruden 95-81 .540 won SB

Lovie Smith 81-63 .563 better, been to a SB

Andy Reid 130-93 .585 better, been to a SB

Bill Cowher 140-90 .623 best won SB, been to SB

Tim Graham wrote an article on 4/5/11 on the top 10 NFL coaches

1. Bill Belichick, New England Patriots

2. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers

3. Andy Reid, Philadelphia Eagles- available

4. Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers

5. Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints

6. Tom Coughlin, New York Giants

7. Rex Ryan, New York Jets

8. Lovie Smith, Chicago Bears-available

9. Mike Smith, Atlanta Falcons

10. M. Shanahan, Washington Redskins

10. John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens

Andy Reid put all his faith in QB Michael Vick, and a DC that was trying to make the wide 9 defense work.

Lovie Smith was fired after a 10-6 season :doh: Imagine what he could do with that Bills D Line and if he could lure Rod Marinelli to Buffalo to coach the defense

The Bills need to stop hiring these "maybe", retread, almost a winner coaches and concentrate on hiring the very best HC they can get.

It won't be easy or inexpensive to hire the best and get them to come to Buffalo.

Ken Wisenhunt...45-51 . 469% why are they even bothering? been to a SB

Jon Gruden 95-81 .540 won SB

Lovie Smith 81-63 .563 better, been to a SB

Andy Reid 130-93 .585 better, been to a SB

Bill Cowher 140-90 .623 best won SB, been to SB

Tim Graham wrote an article on 4/5/11 on the top 10 NFL coaches

1. Bill Belichick, New England Patriots

2. Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers

3. Andy Reid, Philadelphia Eagles- available

4. Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers

5. Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints

6. Tom Coughlin, New York Giants

7. Rex Ryan, New York Jets

8. Lovie Smith, Chicago Bears-available

9. Mike Smith, Atlanta Falcons

10. M. Shanahan, Washington Redskins

10. John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens

Andy Reid put all his faith in QB Michael Vick, and a DC that was trying to make the wide 9 defense work.

Lovie Smith was fired after a 10-6 season :doh: Imagine what he could do with that Bills D Line and if he could lure Rod Marinelli to Buffalo to coach the defense

Not sure I understand your post. Are you saying:

1. Tim Graham actually knows who the best coaches in the NFL are and that it is THAT black and white?

2. It was NOT Andy Reid's fault that he moved his OL coach to DC and that the Defense then struggled?

3. Lovie Smith was not culpable for the Bears' offensive short-comings?

4. Supposedly great coaches Mike Tomlin and Rex Ryan didn't get their teams to the playoffs this year? C'mon, I'd take Chan over Rex. Which QB do you think had better talent: Sanchez or Fitz? I'd say Sanchez, but he regressed significantly under Ryan. Tomlin (like most coaches) couldn't get his beat-up Steelers team to the playoffs after they lost several defensive players and QB Ben Roethlisberger...

My point isn't to deride your opinion, only to say that "coaching evaluation" is a lot less black and white than many here want to believe.

You can put a great CEO in charge of a company that makes poor quality products (or products that nobody wants) and they will fail or it will take a long time to turn that around. The Bills have dug a deep hole to climb out of, but I firmly believe that there is MUCH more talent on the roster now than there was 3 years ago. I think a good, innovated defensive coaching staff could turn the Bills into a top 15 defense in one offseason without any big additions. A little better LB group and the improvement could be more. On "O", I think the BIG challenge is to find a good QB - not as simple as MANY want to believe.

BTW, Bill Bellichick's record was under .500 as a HC before NE hired him.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Try what? Posting or hiring a good coach? I'm busting on you because you act like you just split the atom. Hire a good coach and QB? Who ever tried that? As for the Bills, you also assume that we are bad by choice. Many would argue that, but I am certain that Ralph Wilson wants the Bills to be good. He just hasn't been good at choosing people and letting them do their job.

You also act like finding a good coach is just looking at W/L records and counting the rings on their fingers. I'm guessing you are youngster, maybe played a lot of Madden. You must see the NFL in terms of power scores, that everyone has a number that represents their strength. Seeing your list makes me chuckle too. I thought you said you wanted good coaches.

You know, coaches and players are human beings. Players get injured. Coaches have family crises that distract them. Refs make bad calls. A great team gets undone by a mistake by a rookie. There's a lot of factors that go into winning. But you act like it's all 1+1=2.

Instead of making a top 10 list of wins and losses, why don't you tell us who are the next wave of coaching geniuses? Here's a hint: it takes more than just adding up wins and losses and counting rings.

PTR

It's not just the HC, but the high quality staff that a prospective HC can bring. NO HC can do it all by himself.

I like what FTL had to say above. Hell, I've been echoing those same words for years now. We have to find a way to beat Belichick/Brady or we will not win the division, which greatly lessens our chances to make the playoffs. Like it or not Bills fans, that's the hand that we have been dealt.

That being said, do we have a better chance of beating Belichick with a hot shot college coach like C. Kelly and the likely neophyte staff that he would bring with him OR with a veteran NFL HC who knows Belichick well, who has competed against him many times, and who has actually gotten the better of him???

Suffice it to say, I'm not in favor of taking a shot in the dark with a rookie NFL HC and then having to start this process all over again in 2-3 years. If I'm Brandon with the opportunity that he has i'm going after an NFL experienced HC who can bring the best OC/DC/ST coach and support staff with him. It's not just the HC. It's got to be the entire staff along with the HC as well as a philosophy that will work for the environment that the Bills play in.

That should help to narrow the field quite a bit.

Bill Cowher has to be #1 on the contact list. Sit down with the man and make him an offer that he can't refuse. He knows the formula for beating Belichick. He has the respect around the NFL to bring in a stellar staff.

How about M. Holmgren?? Just think of the staff that he could bring with him??

I like Lovie Smith as well. I would even consider a guy like Jon Gruden before I would a hot shot college coach. Most of the college HCs jump ship to the NFL to make the big money and then after only a few years jump right back into the college. Guys like Spurrier, Saban, the guy who coached briefly for the Falcons.......................they all couldn't cut it in the NFL and they were the best of the best in college. Why??? Because they had superior talent or faced down programs. In the NFL, the talent/size/speed is more evenly distributed.

Chip Kelly, my asssssssssssss!!!

Try what? Posting or hiring a good coach? I'm busting on you because you act like you just split the atom. Hire a good coach and QB? Who ever tried that? As for the Bills, you also assume that we are bad by choice. Many would argue that, but I am certain that Ralph Wilson wants the Bills to be good. He just hasn't been good at choosing people and letting them do their job.

You also act like finding a good coach is just looking at W/L records and counting the rings on their fingers. I'm guessing you are youngster, maybe played a lot of Madden. You must see the NFL in terms of power scores, that everyone has a number that represents their strength. Seeing your list makes me chuckle too. I thought you said you wanted good coaches.

You know, coaches and players are human beings. Players get injured. Coaches have family crises that distract them. Refs make bad calls. A great team gets undone by a mistake by a rookie. There's a lot of factors that go into winning. But you act like it's all 1+1=2.

Instead of making a top 10 list of wins and losses, why don't you tell us who are the next wave of coaching geniuses? Here's a hint: it takes more than just adding up wins and losses and counting rings.

PTR

You can think to bust on me all you want, but this franchise keeps hiring LOSERS, and has since Wade Phillips. 13 years of losing isn't enough for you?

YES, IT IS BLACK AND WHITE. Yes, the Bills are bad by choice, simply because they keep hiring bad coaches. All you need do is find the HC with the best W/L record

Marty Schottenheimer wanted the job badly back in 2010, Buddy Nix wanted to hire Marty S, and Ralph Wilson said no. Marty S, 203-127-1 .606 and RW said he didn't feel "comfortable" with him. I'll bet both Shanahan and Cowher turned down the Bills job in 2010 because of having to answer Ralph Wilson for every decision.

There was a time when this owner went out and hired a top winning coach in Chuck Knox. The results were amazing and produced a winner. Sine then he has been reluctant to hire a HC with a winning record, for whatever reason.

Hire a wannabe like Jauron who had a 35-45 record in Chicago (Oh, but he took a team to the playoffs once) So lets give him 3+ years to prove he sucks.

To Chan Gailey who was fired from his job as OC of the 2-12 KC Chiefs, and spent the 09 season out of football all together. a 68-41 in College but never once in 6 years did his GT team ever beat his teams biggest rival the U of Georgia, never went to a BCS bowl, never won more than 9 games, and never finished in the top 25. Ok so he did have two years as HC of a SB team and made them worse, not better.

Talk about enormous red flags, bells and alarms going off and yet the Buffalo Bills still hired those bums.

I don't know Bill Cowher's status on if he will ever coach again. But If I'm Russ Brandon I'd throw the farm at Cowher rather then letting Buddy Nix throw the farm at some bum of a QB in this years draft. Look at Cowhers win / loss record over the course of his 15 years of being HC of the Steelers. Big Ben was only with the team since 2004. So the other 12 years, with 8 of those years in the playoffs. Cowher had to deal with scrubs and bums at QB like Neil O Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox and yet... he won a lot of games with bums at QB!

So yea, to me it is B&W and it is all about their W/L records.

So are you saying that Chan Gailey and Fitz are equal to BB and Brady.

You can't interview people who don't want to be interviewed. They both have jobs in TV and don't want to be in the NFL now. And I thought the final word was that Brandon talked to Gruden about players/coaches.

2nd place

You can think to bust on me all you want, but this franchise keeps hiring LOSERS, and has since Wade Phillips. 13 years of losing isn't enough for you?

YES, IT IS BLACK AND WHITE. Yes, the Bills are bad by choice, simply because they keep hiring bad coaches. All you need do is find the HC with the best W/L record

I thought we had a winning season after Phillips? hmm

I also doubt that they choose to lose. There's no point in that other than having a good rhyme. Its not like HOF coaches are calling for interviews at our every job opening. We haven't had luck with our coaching choices. If we chose to lose, don't you think we would still have Jauron, Chan, or all the other coaches and that we wouldn't be interviewing all possible coaches to see who is the best fit?

Don't see how this is black and white either. This isn't finding a girl for the night where she is either hot or she isn't. Coaches are good depending on how they fit, who they have on their team, and their scheming. Good coaches don't find their spot on some teams and bad coaches find their spot on their team and become good, only to become bad as soon as they move on to a different team.

Edited by Teen Insight

Marty Schottenheimer wanted the job badly back in 2010, Buddy Nix wanted to hire Marty S, and Ralph Wilson said no. Marty S, 203-127-1 .606 and RW said he didn't feel "comfortable" with him. I'll bet both Shanahan and Cowher turned down the Bills job in 2010 because of having to answer Ralph Wilson for every decision.

There was a time when this owner went out and hired a top winning coach in Chuck Knox. The results were amazing and produced a winner. Sine then he has been reluctant to hire a HC with a winning record, for whatever reason.

Hire a wannabe like Jauron who had a 35-45 record in Chicago (Oh, but he took a team to the playoffs once) So lets give him 3+ years to prove he sucks.

To Chan Gailey who was fired from his job as OC of the 2-12 KC Chiefs, and spent the 09 season out of football all together. a 68-41 in College but never once in 6 years did his GT team ever beat his teams biggest rival the U of Georgia, never went to a BCS bowl, never won more than 9 games, and never finished in the top 25. Ok so he did have two years as HC of a SB team and made them worse, not better.

Talk about enormous red flags, bells and alarms going off and yet the Buffalo Bills still hired those bums.

I don't know Bill Cowher's status on if he will ever coach again. But If I'm Russ Brandon I'd throw the farm at Cowher rather then letting Buddy Nix throw the farm at some bum of a QB in this years draft. Look at Cowhers win / loss record over the course of his 15 years of being HC of the Steelers. Big Ben was only with the team since 2004. So the other 12 years, with 8 of those years in the playoffs. Cowher had to deal with scrubs and bums at QB like Neil O Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox and yet... he won a lot of games with bums at QB!

Alright Bill.

We get it.

You want back into the NFL.

:nana:

Did you not read Bill Belichick had a losing record when he was hired by the Patriots? I'd say Jauron was good hire with his losing record. It's all so simple!

Cowher will never coach again. Neither will Gruden. Andy Reid had a Chan-esque year by not using McCoy and throwing every play. Lovie couldn't get an offense going with Cutler(Better than our QB), a top ten WR in Marshall, and a great RB in Forte. Shouldn't we have alarm bells going there? Or do facts only count when they agree with your point?

Edited by FireChan

If Lovie can bring in a strong OC/DC like Norv Turner and Marinelli, I think that would be the best thing to happen to the Bills.

If Lovie can bring in a strong OC/DC like Norv Turner and Marinelli, I think that would be the best thing to happen to the Bills.

I agree :thumbsup:

Andy Reid had a Chan-esque year by not using McCoy and throwing every play.

Lovie couldn't get an offense going with Cutler(Better than our QB), a top ten WR in Marshall, and a great RB in Forte. Shouldn't we have alarm bells going there? Or do facts only count when they agree with your point?

Andy Reid made his own bed with Michael Vick as his starting QB, and by allowing a good friend to who was an OC and never coached the defense become his DC, both mistakes. So yea, there are some alarm bells going off here, and your right, it is very Chan-esque.

But there is a huge difference between Chan and Andy. Only 3 years ago the Eagles were 11-5, 2 years ago 10-6 and took the division. Sean McDermott as DC those two years after Jim Johnson, and then was fired in Jan 2011.

Effing Chan Gailey had 3 years and never made it past 6-10, see the difference!

As little as 2010 the Bears were 11-5, won the division and played in the NFC Championship game against the Packers. Plus he was sort of Chan-esque in his approach to OC and running an offense. He had Mike Martz and Mike Tice as OC's, both suck. But what sucks more is when he has very little control over who gets drafted, and the Bears GM's have done a bad job in building that O line to protect the QB.

The other problem is the QB, Jay Cutler who threw 19 touchdowns for 3,033 yards this year for the 28th ranked offense. Rex Grossman threw 23 touchdowns for 3,193 yards in 2006 for the 15th ranked offense, his first full season playing.

With Cutler as quarterback, the Bears' offense has ranked 23rd, 30th, 24th and 28th in the league. During this time, they've fired two offensive coordinators and a head coach.

Effing Chan Gailey had 3 years and never made it past 6-10, see the difference!

My take is both the Eagles and Bears have forgotten what it was like without a winning head coach. Kinda like the Buffalo Bills the last 13 years. :lol:

Both Lovie Smith and Andy Reid have better winning records then Jon Gruden, and are actually currently looking for work. Yet the Bills haven't stated they will interview either of them.

They have stated they will interview Chip Kelly and Mike McCoy which is good news. Although I'm more sold on McCoy then Kelly simply because its a different world in college.