Say the Bills had drafted Russell Wilson

bills44

does anyone think that he would have seen the field, in anything other than mop-up time?

Gailey has shown an affinity/stubbornness for/towards "his guys" - Fitz, FJ, Choice, etc., so I don't think that Wilson would have received any real playing time. I think we'd be wondering whether Wilson was a viable NFL starter, and an upgrade over Fitz.

Had he played for us this season, Wilson would have found out what life is like with a defense that can't get off the field, gives up too many points a game, and forces your offense to play catchup most of the time. Especially in the fourth quarter. In short, a TOTALLY different animal than what he's had in Seattle.

GO BILLS!!!

Had he played for us this season, Wilson would have found out what life is like with a defense that can't get off the field, gives up too many points a game, and forces your offense to play catchup most of the time. Especially in the fourth quarter. In short, a TOTALLY different animal than what he's had in Seattle.

GO BILLS!!!

In this scenario the question then becomes, would his talents have been recognizable or would he be viewed as a 3rd round quarterback prospect?

In this scenario the question then becomes, would his talents have been recognizable or would he be viewed as a 3rd round quarterback prospect?

I'd like to think Russell's talents would have been apparent but I doubt he would have beaten out Fitz for the job in the eyes of Gailey. Flynn and T Jackson looked like absolute CRAP in the pre-season and in camp and that made it easy for for Carroll to give the kid a shot with the first string and the kid took full advantage.

But just assuming Wilson would have won the job, like I said, he would have found life much more difficult than in Seattle.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd like to think Russell's talents would have been apparent but I doubt he would have beaten out Fitz for the job in the eyes of Gailey. Flynn and T Jackson looked like absolute CRAP in the pre-season and in camp and that made it easy for for Carroll to give the kid a shot with the first string and the kid took full advantage.

But just assuming Wilson would have won the job, like I said, he would have found life much more difficult than in Seattle.

GO BILLS!!!

No doubt.

Interesting thing is that he represents the mobile quarterback that Gailey had often been accused of favoring.

It would have been interesting and possibly even successful.

No doubt.

Interesting thing is that he represents the mobile quarterback that Gailey had often been accused of favoring.

It would have been interesting and possibly even successful.

How sweet would the 2012 Draft Class be looking with 1) Gilmore 2) Glenn, and 3) Wilson? Not to mention the potential of Brooks and Bradham.

Wilson is a freak of nature and always has been. He VERY likely would have outplayed Fitz in training camp and preseason like he did in Seattle, and while he wouldn't have started I think it was entirely possible that Chan would have played him this year. The ONLY reason that he wasnt a top 5 choice in the draft was his height. The only reason. But Wilson differs from other shorter QBs in the fact that he has an absolute cannon for an arm, and he possesses ALL of the other important attributes a QB needs to be successful.

There isn't and won't be anything like him. I wanted to start a thread about having a moratorium here on "You can draft a QB in the third round, look at Russell Wilson" because you can't. He's a total aberration and you're not going to find a guy like that.

Wilson is a freak of nature and always has been. He VERY likely would have outplayed Fitz in training camp and preseason like he did in Seattle, and while he wouldn't have started I think it was entirely possible that Chan would have played him this year. The ONLY reason that he wasnt a top 5 choice in the draft was his height. The only reason. But Wilson differs from other shorter QBs in the fact that he has an absolute cannon for an arm, and he possesses ALL of the other important attributes a QB needs to be successful.

There isn't and won't be anything like him. I wanted to start a thread about having a moratorium here on "You can draft a QB in the third round, look at Russell Wilson" because you can't. He's a total aberration and you're not going to find a guy like that.

Agreed. He's a rarity. I'm most impressed with how he responded to the threat of being benched early in the season. But it will be interesting to see how opponents adapt going forward.

All the rest of this stuff we're talking about is interesting conjecture.

Except for how much our defense sucked and ANY QB would have been challenged to play with that liability every week.

GO BILLS!!!

1) Our record won't be much different because he plays with one of the best defenses in the NFL while we had one of the worst.

2) The same people whining about the Bills not drafting him would be the loudest ones calling for him to be benched after he struggled his first few games in the NFL. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/14881/russell-wilson

GO BILLS!!!

This.

Hypothetically speaking I think Gailey would have started Wilson as Wilson's athleticism and accuracy would have been too much for him to ignore. Folks that get their undees in a bunch over Spiller not being in on every play should go back and look at Spiller's pass blocking. Spiller would have taken over for Jackson much sooner if he could keep Fitz from getting hit in the teeth on every pass play. Jackson is the better back picking up the blitz and protecting Fitz, and Fred is a decent running back, though admittedly not the pure talent that Spiller is at running the ball. I don't fault Gailey for keeping Fred in to make sure that Fitz felt more comfortable in the pocket. I do however fault Fitz, when given the time, for missing on so many of his throws.

Edited by ColdBlueNorth