I want to see the defense improved

Rockinon

I know the big talk around here is centered around the HC and the QB, but I am increadibly disappointed with the performance of the defense this year. There have been some flashes here and there but their overall performance is absolutely horrible. I'd like to see is a coach with a strong defensive background but I'd also like to see an improvement on key areas of the defense.

What is it going to take to get us to a top five defense? While it is wildly popular to point fingers at leaders like HC and QB, my personal opinion is that our defense is not getting the job done and needs an infusion of talent and good coaching to take this team to the next level. Defense still wins championships. We do have a few good men, but that isn't enough.

Discuss. Who would you bring in to correct our enemic defense?

Honestly, I think a different scheme is far-and-away the biggest thing we can do to improve the team.

One more solid corner and 2 good linebackers are enough to shore up the unit (assuming we can keep Byrd). Other than that, I expect the experience and familiarity that the players gained this year to be a big boost.

i'm kinda hoping that the new coordinator will be able to communicate well, motivate his players to get the most out of them, and get them to buy into what he's teaching. i think if they know what they are supposed to be doing and why they should be doing it, that'll go a long way. a couple stud lb's couldn't hurt either.

If I had my choice, I'd rather have a better O than D.

Watching Jauron-coached teams has instilled in me a fear of really boring offensive football.

Winning games is never boring. And with a defense routinely finishing in the top 5 instead of the bottom 5, you'll have a lot more fun on Sundays.

The four most important upgrades on defense, in this order, are:

1. New coordinator

2. New starting RDE

3. New Starting MLB

4. New starting WOLB

MW, KW, and Dareus should be better next year when fully healthy. Gilmore is only going to get better. Byrd must be re-signed at all costs. I've seen enough from Searcy, Brooks, and Bradham to think they can develop into quality NFL starters with proper coaching.

Carrington, Anderson, Moore, Sheppard, White, McKelvin, Williams, Rogers, etc... provide decent depth but more is needed.

Also, Barnett and Wilson really looked like they hit the wall at this point in their careers. Time to cut these two (along with Kelsay and McGee) and use the cap savings on Byrd/Levitre.

Honestly, I think a different scheme is far-and-away the biggest thing we can do to improve the team.

One more solid corner and 2 good linebackers are enough to shore up the unit (assuming we can keep Byrd). Other than that, I expect the experience and familiarity that the players gained this year to be a big boost.

Scheme is a part of the equation but it must fit the players. What I want to see is LBs that can actually get off of blocks and make tackles. I don't like seeing safties and corners doing this 10- 20 yds down the field. I've seen a lot of big plays both running and passing given up by this defense. LDE sounds like an interesting position to target. LBs that can shed blocks and make tackles before a back can get a first down would be nice too.

A lot has been made of gap responsibility and it seems that the second half of the season this team has improved. The defense is young and prone to mistakes but I think they will continue to improve. That doesn't mean that they can't bring in additional talent. Is there another JJ Watt out there?

Winning games is never boring. And with a defense routinely finishing in the top 5 instead of the bottom 5, you'll have a lot more fun on Sundays.

not if we are winning and have an offense that puts up 10 points per game and kicks Fg' s. just not the way to win in the long-term in the NFL ( and why a coach like lovie got canned).

but I agree we need to get a lot better on defense too.

I know the big talk around here is centered around the HC and the QB, but I am increadibly disappointed with the performance of the defense this year. There have been some flashes here and there but their overall performance is absolutely horrible. I'd like to see is a coach with a strong defensive background but I'd also like to see an improvement on key areas of the defense.

What is it going to take to get us to a top five defense? While it is wildly popular to point fingers at leaders like HC and QB, my personal opinion is that our defense is not getting the job done and needs an infusion of talent and good coaching to take this team to the next level. Defense still wins championships. We do have a few good men, but that isn't enough.

Discuss. Who would you bring in to correct our enemic defense?

We've been working on Defense since Juaron was here, it's time to up grade the offense. You can be competitive with a sucky defense (Green bay, Pats) but if your O sucks then you don't have a chance.

I am in your camp on this...offensively we struggled at times, but defensively we were absolutely horrendous.

The offense was OK in the 1st half of the season and stunk up the joint in the 2nd half with horrible plays against Ten/Indy/St. Louis/Miami games that we could have won with better offense.

The defense adjusted in the 2nd half of the season, tightening up the run before giving up in the last three games again.

The Special Teams was good in the 1st half, but pedestrian in the 2nd half.

Overall, the team could not put together a game where all units were good at the same time on a consistent basis. And that solely reflects on the weakness of the HC and his coordinators.

Scheme is a part of the equation but it must fit the players. What I want to see is LBs that can actually get off of blocks and make tackles. I don't like seeing safties and corners doing this 10- 20 yds down the field. I've seen a lot of big plays both running and passing given up by this defense. LDE sounds like an interesting position to target. LBs that can shed blocks and make tackles before a back can get a first down would be nice too.

A lot has been made of gap responsibility and it seems that the second half of the season this team has improved. The defense is young and prone to mistakes but I think they will continue to improve. That doesn't mean that they can't bring in additional talent. Is there another JJ Watt out there?

The Bills gave up 23 Rushing TDs, worst in the league.

23 rushing TDs.......worst in the league. I think there are a lot more stats that point directly at the defense but I am in the same camp that believes there is more talent then what we have actually witnessed. The coaching didn't seem to really sink in until midway through the season. I still believe this team needs to improve by adding more talent.

Three different defenses in three years. With mostly the same roster.

I'm not holding my breath. I have a feeling we'll be taking a step back for the next year or two. Then three will be a disappointment, and we'll start over again. :)