Keep Fitzpatrick?

After reading the article in Buffalo News we will spend $ 10M against the cap to cut him before March and $10.45M to keep him. We are only talking about $450k. As bad as he has played he could be retained and compete with whoever they bring in and at the least be a backup. The question I pose to all you closet GM's is do we keep him and get some value or cut him and throw $10M away against the cap? The article does not say if renegotiating the contract to reduce the cap hit is possible. Let's assume it is not an option and decide what is best for the Bills.

Keeping him and playing/starting him are 2 very different thing.

You keep him as a backup if the cap hit is better next year and you have the money to pay him this year.

If the hit isn't better next year, or the are strapped for actual cash, you let him go before March

No way he starts/plays unless its absolutly necessary though

Edited by apuszczalowski

After reading the article in Buffalo News we will spend $ 10M against the cap to cut him before March and $10.45M to keep him. We are only talking about $450k. As bad as he has played he could be retained and compete with whoever they bring in and at the least be a backup. The question I pose to all you closet GM's is do we keep him and get some value or cut him and throw $10M away against the cap? The article does not say if renegotiating the contract to reduce the cap hit is possible. Let's assume it is not an option and decide what is best for the Bills.

i'd keep him. draft a QB in rounds 1-3 and let them compete. QB's in the draft don't cost as much as they used to. Thigpen should be gone.

If we cut Fitz and draft a QB, who's going to be our backup? None of the QB's in this year's drafts are "no-brainers" so there's a good chance that the rookie may seriously struggle early on. I'd much rather start fitz for first half of season (when the bills usually do well) and if the season starts going downhill, you plug in the rookie to see what he can do after learning for half the season.

Only way i'd let go of Fitz is if we are able to land another QB via trade AND draft a QB...but if we're only drafting a QB, you HAVE to keep fitz imo.

Edited by bobobonators

You can always renegotiate the contract, so yes that is always an option. That article also stated he's the 19th highest QB which is probably about where he'd be ranked, likely a bit lower, but as salary's go up, ten mil next year would likely push him down the ranking without ever taking a snap. Then Fitz has to decide if he could get more elsewhere or take the pay cut. Fitz has some leverage as he can point out the cap hit to the Bills if they end up cutting him. But a cap hit is "play money" as opposed to paying him with real money. Personally I'd be fine with keeping him with a new coaching staff who's not wed to him particularly if you bring in a rookie as I do think he'd be a good type for a rookie to learn from. I'd even be fine starting him the first 3 or 4 games, then as soon as he starts losing you games, you go to the rookie. If they brought in someone like an Alex Smith, then less need for Fitz so then more likely he's not back. I'd be OK paying him maybe half that to teach a rookie and eventually he's the backup by mid year. I'd probably rank him as one of the top backups too. I'd also make the contract for not more than two years as likely by the following year the rookie is the starter and $5 mil is too much for a backup.

Cap hit is one thing. It cost real money to keep him. Time to go

Yep. This is the real issue. The Bills don't care about cap space. They are not up against the cap.

The issue would be the actual expenditure of approximately $7m to keep him. This is real money that can be used to re-sign Levitre and/or Byrd or go out and get a UFA LB.

I expect Fitz to be cut.

i'd keep him. draft a QB in rounds 1-3 and let them compete. QB's in the draft don't cost as much as they used to. Thigpen should be gone.

If we cut Fitz and draft a QB, who's going to be our backup? None of the QB's in this year's drafts are "no-brainers" so there's a good chance that the rookie may seriously struggle early on.

Only way i'd let go of Fitz is if we are able to land another QB via trade AND draft a QB...but if we're only drafting a QB, you HAVE to keep fitz imo.

thigpens a FA, they would have to re-sign him to cut him

thigpens a FA, they would have to re-sign him to cut him

that's what i'm saying, thigpen is gone and then you cut Fitz..where the hell is our QB depth? We're going to put all our marbles on a rookie QB from day 1 with no competition? Again, none of the QB's this year are "can't miss" QB's. They're all a bit of a project. Keep Fitz. He's a stand up guy and not an A$$...he shouldn't cause much trouble. He's the perfect backup actually. Heck, maybe ask him if he'd be willing to restructure his contract.

why would u keep a loser. fitz had his chance for 3 yrs.

It's time for him to go. Nice guy , he did well for a 7th round draft pick.

if that's the case, why not cut CJ, Mario, Dareus, KW, actually, cut the entire team..they all have the same record the last 3 years as fitz.

Of course you keep him. Everybody has always said he'd be a great b/u. Well, then have him as a b/u. You're not getting that money back, so why in God's name would you release him.

So ur ok paying a backup 10.45 mil? I'm certainly not

i'd rather pay Fitzpatrick 10.45 and draft a QB where the contracts are a lot cheaper than they were a few years ago as opposed to cutting Fitzpatrick, taking the cap hit, and still having to sign 2 quarterbacks.

Edited by bobobonators

I think if he is willing to take a big cut to about 4 million in real money we keep him. I don't think he would command more than that in the open market.

I don't know the intricacies of cap and contract to restructure in a way that gives him a guaranteed smaller amount with incentives but if that is possible than that is the way to go. $4M plus incentives if he somehow (hopefully not) has to start.

Good thing its not your money.

Since we dont a have another QB under contract, and no guarantee that anyone better will be available he must be kept. Also, the 10 million in cap money is gone cutting him would be stupid. To start the year 10 mil in the cap hole is not a good plan, neither is starting the year looking for 3 QBs.

Since we dont a have another QB under contract, and no guarantee that anyone better will be available he must be kept. Also, the 10 million in cap money is gone cutting him would be stupid. To start the year 10 mil in the cap hole is not a good plan, neither is starting the year looking for 3 QBs.

AMEN. :beer:

I think any new coaching staff will want to bring in "Their guys" to be QB. Fitz is not a winner-simple as that. I am for getting rid of as much of the stench as possible from the Gailey/Nix regime. And Fitz is at the top of that list. The way he was playing in the preseason should have been enuf to cut him right than and there when combining that with the last 9 games of last year. We would have been a much better team with Vince Young and Tavaris Jackson competing for the starting position. Both have way more upside than Fitz!!

If we cut Fitz and draft a QB, who's going to be our backup? None of the QB's in this year's drafts are "no-brainers" so there's a good chance that the rookie may seriously struggle early on. I'd much rather start fitz for first half of season (when the bills usually do well) and if the season starts going downhill, you plug in the rookie to see what he can do after learning for half the season.

Agree 100%. No QB drafted is a sure thing at all. We could have Gabbert, McCoy, Clausen etc on our hands. Let him re-negotiate, and back up.

Fitz will play his last game as a Bill on Sunday. He can't be retained for simple credibility reasons. I hope he lands in Arizona. He's one of those nice guys you want to see do well elsewhere. Too bad it didn't work out in Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!

I asked you to play pocket GM not angry fan.

Well shucks. I reckon it's about time for this here ball club to move in a differnt good ole dy-rection here. Time fer us to say so long to our ole pal Ryan and bring in some other folks to fire the ole pigskin.

Was that better, or did you want it to be less "Nix-y"?

There's a big difference between a ten mil cap hit and paying a guy in real money. We're way under that cap anyway so likely taking the $10 mil cap hit wouldn't have much effect on what you would or wouldn't do in FA. That said I'm all for keeping him at a restructured reduced salary as I do agree he'd make a good back up & mentor for a rookie. I'd pay him $5 mil for that.

Well shucks. I reckon it's about time for this here ball club to move in a differnt good ole dy-rection here. Time fer us to say so long to our ole pal Ryan and bring in some other folks to fire the ole pigskin.

LOL what I meant was we as fans see red meat like a lion and want to pounce. A real GM assesses value and what is the best need for the organization as a whole.

There's a big difference between a ten mil cap hit and paying a guy in real money. We're way under that cap anyway so likely taking the $10 mil cap hit wouldn't have much effect on what you would or wouldn't do in FA. That said I'm all for keeping him at a restructured reduced salary as I do agree he'd make a good back up & mentor for a rookie. I'd pay him $5 mil for that.

I think his value is closer to $4M.

Fitz will play his last game as a Bill on Sunday. He can't be retained for simple credibility reasons. I hope he lands in Arizona. He's one of those nice guys you want to see do well elsewhere. Too bad it didn't work out in Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!

I too agree that he is one of the good guys and regardless where he ends up I truly wish him well. I think he lives in Arizona so he would love that.

No not better at all!! What he's saying is you need to make a smart decision for what is best for the Bill's and not make a decision because you're pissed off at the guy. And Fitz may still give the Bill's the best chance of winning next season. There are no rookies like an Andrew Luck. With a good coach who is committed to handing the ball to Spiller 20 times a game and passing it to him another five times. In addition you sign a couple of top level FA LB and a legit #1 or #2 WR, plus resign Byrd , Mekelvin, and AL, all of a sudden Fitz may not look too bad if you're not counting on him to win you games.

Granted he still is not likely to be able to lead the team to a come from behind win, but with a good defense, the number of times that's needed may be way less.

Bottom line is Fitz may still be the best option in 2013 depending who else they sign. And a GM who is smart and not emotional would figure that out.

No not better at all!! What he's saying is you need to make a smart decision for what is best for the Bill's and not make a decision because you're pissed off at the guy. And Fitz may still give the Bill's the best chance of winning next season. There are no rookies like an Andrew Luck. With a good coach who is committed to handing the ball to Spiller 20 times a game and passing it to him another five times. In addition you sign a couple of top level FA LB and a legit #1 or #2 WR, plus resign Byrd , Mekelvin, and AL, all of a sudden Fitz may not look too bad if you're not counting on him to win you games.

Granted he still is not likely to be able to lead the team to a come from behind win, but with a good defense, the number of times that's needed may be way less.

Bottom line is Fitz may still be the best option in 2013 depending who else they sign. And a GM who is smart and not emotional would figure that out.

You said it better than I did. Thanks for the support.

True, but the Bills may have to overpay some as Fitz does have some leverage in that he can refuse to big of a cut forcing the Bill's to cut him and take the cap hit. While I firmly believe it's better to take the cap hit than pay him $10 mil in real $$, saving the cap hit is worth something so I'd go from $4 mil to $5 mil or some amount to avoid that.

I think his value is closer to $4M.

Don't get me wrong, I like Fitz and I wanted him to work out here. But with the game on the line, he is horrible. How you can say he would be the "best" option for us next year is beyond me. I'd rather take my chances with a rookie than watch an intelligent gunslinger throw pick after pick when the game is on the line. Fitz is a good guy, I don't dislike him as person. I just can't listen to the same excuses week after week anymore. Its time for us to make a concerted effort this off season in bringing in new QB's.