Hi, I'm /dev/null

You're treading on dangerous ground /dev/null.  It's cold and cruel down here in PPP. Much safer up on the sports board with the rest of us dummies.  :D

193920[/snapback]

Aussie you're not a loser. You have some questionable folks following you around over here, but you're okay most of the time. ;)

Yeah, that Gere, donating his time and fame to try and help get Palestinians to vote, what an a-hole. If there is one thing I can't stand it is famous people who give a crap about something besides their next oscar nomination. :D

Really, is there nothing else in the news today more objectionable than a famous actor making a PSA to get out the vote in Palestine?

Yea heaven forbid anyone have convictions and the courage to act on them.

And what the !@#$ is this crap about VOTING?! Sounds to me like he's trying to spread democracy. What a load of RKFast - doesn't he know that for freedom to be on the march you need troops and tanks and a whole lotta shock and awe.

The NERVE of some people.

Yea heaven forbid anyone have convictions and the courage to act on them.

And what the !@#$ is this crap about VOTING?! Sounds to me like he's trying to spread democracy.  What a load of RKFast - doesn't he know that for freedom to be on the march you need troops and tanks and a whole lotta shock and awe.

The NERVE of some people.

194348[/snapback]

Now tell EVERYONE else to lighten up. :D

Yeah, that Gere, donating his time and fame to try and help get Palestinians to vote, what an a-hole.  If there is one thing I can't stand it is famous people who give a crap about something besides their next oscar nomination.  :D

Really, is there nothing else in the news today more objectionable than a famous actor making a PSA to get out the vote in Palestine?

193963[/snapback]

Personally, I'm not questioning the nobility of the gesture. Just the intelligence of it, as it is effectively a PSA from someone who, in the Palestinian perspective, is just about as much a nobody as I am.

And then again...maybe I do question the nobility of it. You'd think someone close to Gere would have said "Rich, baby, it's a nice idea and all, but the Palestinians don't know you from sh--!" It kind of makes one wonder just what the motivation is to stand in front of a camera and say "Hi, I'm basically no one you care about, but I'm standing next to a Palestinian and a Greek Orthodox Church representative, so you should pay attention to me." Sure as hell sounds like a little ego-massage...

Personally, I'm not questioning the nobility of the gesture.  Just the intelligence of it, as it is effectively a PSA from someone who, in the Palestinian perspective, is just about as much a nobody as I am. 

And then again...maybe I do question the nobility of it.  You'd think someone close to Gere would have said "Rich, baby, it's a nice idea and all, but the Palestinians don't know you from sh--!"  It kind of makes one wonder just what the motivation is to stand in front of a camera and say "Hi, I'm basically no one you care about, but I'm standing next to a Palestinian and a Greek Orthodox Church representative, so you should pay attention to me."  Sure as hell sounds like a little ego-massage...

194394[/snapback]

My understanding is that Gere has been very active in international charities, in part because of his involvement with Tibet I believe. The people paying for the PSA apparently thought he was a good choice for this gig.

He majored in philosophy while he was in college and considers himself a humanitarian first, an actor second. He spent time in Tibet and Nepal in the late 1970's and in the 80's visited refugee camps with a bunch of doctors in Nicaragua, Honduras and El Salvador even while the war was on. He founded Tibet House, a nonprofit for the preservation of Tibetan culture. He is also very active in raising funds for Survival International, another charity that helps native tribes across the globe from East Africa to the Amazon to Argentina. He has been extremely active in combating AIDS through out the world, from Russia to New York to Bombay. He was recently invited by a political party in Taiwan to speak at a film festival triggering criticism from the opposition party that Gere would unfairly boost the profile of the other party. He visited refugee camps in the Balkans in 1999. He supports Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and numerous other organizations.

In June of 2003 he was invited to Israel by an Israeli peace organization. He went and met with refugees, terrorist victims, all sorts of people including Arabs as well as Jews. He returned in December of that year and met with Israeli settlers and Palestinian legislators. He visited Ramallah, Jerusalem, the West Bank, Bethlehem and Jaffa. He returned to the area again in June of 2004 and again met with jewish settlers and palestinian leaders. He attended a film festival and a charitable exhibit of his black and white photos documenting the suffering of Tibet under Chinese occupation.

You may not agree with his politics or think much of his charitable efforts from cleaning up brothels in Bombay to Tibetan independence to battling Aids. However, the guy is no Hollywood phony and I think deserves better than what he is getting here. I don't want to be a wet blanket when people are just goofing around but I think Gere is actually the opposite of what most people complain about when it comes to famous people.

Another good thing about Gere, he pretty much refuses to talk to the press about anything. The best thing about Gere? He grew up in Syracuse.

My understanding is that Gere has been very active in international charities, in part because of his involvement with Tibet I believe.  The people paying for the PSA apparently thought he was a good choice for this gig. 

He majored in philosophy while he was in college and considers himself a humanitarian first, an actor second.  He spent time in Tibet and Nepal in the late 1970's and in the 80's visited refugee camps with a bunch of doctors in Nicaragua, Honduras and El Salvador even while the war was on.  He founded Tibet House, a nonprofit for the preservation of Tibetan culture.  He is also very active in raising funds for Survival International, another charity that helps native tribes across the globe from East Africa to the Amazon to Argentina.  He has been extremely active in combating AIDS through out the world, from Russia to New York to Bombay.  He was recently invited by a political party in Taiwan to speak at a film festival triggering criticism from the opposition party that Gere would unfairly boost the profile of the other party.  He visited refugee camps in the Balkans in 1999.  He supports Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and numerous other organizations.

In June of 2003 he was invited to Israel by an Israeli peace organization.  He went and met with refugees, terrorist victims, all sorts of people including Arabs as well as Jews.  He returned in December of that year and met with Israeli settlers and Palestinian legislators.  He visited Ramallah, Jerusalem, the West Bank, Bethlehem and Jaffa.  He returned to the area again in June of 2004 and again met with jewish settlers and palestinian leaders.  He attended a film festival and a charitable exhibit of his black and white photos documenting the suffering of Tibet under Chinese occupation.

You may not agree with his politics or think much of his charitable efforts from cleaning up brothels in Bombay to Tibetan independence to battling Aids.  However, the guy is no Hollywood phony and I think deserves better than what he is getting here.  I don't want to be a wet blanket when people are just goofing around but I think Gere is actually the opposite of what most people complain about when it comes to famous people. 

Another good thing about Gere, he pretty much refuses to talk to the press about anything.  The best thing about Gere?  He grew up in Syracuse.

194516[/snapback]

Actually, I have quite a bit of respect for Gere and his charitable work. It's just that this PSA seems a little...I don't know, maybe not ill-considered, but hastily considered. There had to be better spokesmen than Gere available to talk to Palestinians about democracy, I'd think...

Actually, I have quite a bit of respect for Gere and his charitable work.  It's just that this PSA seems a little...I don't know, maybe not ill-considered, but hastily considered.  There had to be better spokesmen than Gere available to talk to Palestinians about democracy, I'd think...

194604[/snapback]

Colin Powell?

Leslie Neilson?

Dr. Ruth?

I don't know, as a fairly popular actor, there's a lot of goodwill that's automatic. Add in his good works.... It doesn't seem to be good or bad, it just matters that the message is getting out. Does anyone really give a sh-- about the medium? Does Jeep agonize that much over their voiceover people for its goal of selling more trucks? No, they just have to make good trucks.

The best thing for Palestinian democracy was the death of Arafat.

Colin Powell?

Leslie Neilson?

Dr. Ruth?

I don't know, as a fairly popular actor, there's a lot of goodwill that's automatic. Add in his good works.... It doesn't seem to be good or bad, it just matters that the message is getting out. Does anyone really give a sh-- about the medium? Does Jeep agonize that much over their voiceover people for its goal of selling more trucks? No, they just have to make good trucks.

194643[/snapback]

How about Dr. Phil? :blink:

Colin Powell?

Leslie Neilson?

Dr. Ruth?

I don't know, I'm not a Palestinian.

194643[/snapback]

Yes, Jeep probably does. It's called marketing. Marketing is the essence of a PSA. Using Richard Gere to sell democracy to Palestinians strikes me as curious at best.

Colin Powell?

Leslie Neilson?

Dr. Ruth?

194643[/snapback]

AT&T dumped Rodney Dangerfield and hired Carrot top. Do the math.