Nice Gesture by Mario Williams

26CornerBlitz

No, it is quite funny he didn't just pony up the extra 15K and get them a New truck. Also, he would have gotten an extra tax credit to boot for a new vehicle purchase... Just sayin, I mean the guy probably has more liquid assets than everyone on this board combined X 5

So he should've bought the new truck for the tax credit. Classy motives.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So he should've bought the new truck for the tax credit. Classy motives.

This is a major stimulus for most charitable giving in this country. There is nothing wrong with it. It's no less classy than unloading your beater on the little people and calling the newspaper over it.

Unbelievable....I found it mildly amusing that one person saw some flaw in the gesture, but multiple? Please tell me you (and you know who you ungrateful, penny anti, ungrateful people are), are the kind of person that sulks during the Holidays because you were not given exactly what you wanted. The man gave something of himself, (fairly certain the gesture in and of itself was more than you could muster this holiday season), and he has to be critiqued for not getting the right kind of truck, and chided for his wealth? One one hand I truly admire Bills fans for their passion, but on the other, the ignorance on display here is enough to beat one's head against the wall. Pathetic.

Edited by Kipers Hair

Unbelievable....I found it mildly amusing that one person saw some flaw in the gesture, but multiple? Please tell me you (and you know who you ungrateful, penny anti, ungrateful people are), are the kind of person that sulks during the Holidays because you were not given exactly what you wanted. The man gave something of himself, (fairly certain the gesture in and of itself was more than you could muster this holiday season), and he has to be critiqued for not getting the right kind of truck, and chided for his wealth? One one hand I truly admire Bills fans for their passion, but on the other, the ignorance on display here is enough to beat one's head against the wall. Pathetic.

Ungrateful? No, I am not. I am very grateful for everything and everybody I have. He gave something of himself? He gave a small portion of that nice big contract. If we really wantd to be glorified for helping veterans, which is a media-cool thing to do these days, than he needs to go all out. Those two marines gave a lot to this country, which, if you could quantify it, is worth more than a 4-year-old pickup truck. Would it be too much of an inconvenience to buya new one? I think somebody living in a $2M house could afford it, and really, really look good while helping veterans. Regarding your opinion of my ignorance, well, let's just say you smack of somebdy who has done little or no time in your country's uniform.

Edited by jjmac

Ungrateful? No, I am not. I am very grateful for everything and everybody I have. He gave something of himself? He gave a small portion of that nice big contract. If we really wantd to be glorified for helping veterans, which is a media-cool thing to do these days, than he needs to go all out. Those two marines gave a lot to this country, which, if you could quantify it, is worth more than a 4-year-old pickup truck. Would it be too much of an inconvenience to buya new one? I think somebody living in a $2M house could afford it, and really, really look good while helping veterans. Regarding your opinion of my ignorance, well, let's just say you smack of somebdy who has done little or no time in your country's uniform.

I'd call this ungrateful, yes.

The guy gave a vehicle away, what, exactly, is wrong with that? You know, he actually doesn't HAVE to give them anything, but he did.

Finding fault with that is--in my opinion--the book definition of ungrateful.

It's nice, but you would think that someone with that much $$$ could afford a new truck.

I'm sure he can which would be one motivation for giving the old one away.

Seriously, it may well be better for the family to receive a used truck especially if they can down-grade the "blue book value".

If it was new, they might have property taxes to pay on it etc. which they could ill afford, and which could be avoided by giving a less expensive (but still functional) used vehicle

There might also be a "gift tax", not sure.

Better yet... Just throw in the Prius so they use that as the daily driver... My God, driving that truck is gonna put them in a bigger hole!

Remember Oprah and the G6 giveaway... Kinda like that a bit. I see where both sides are coming from though... Still be very grateful, the truck is worth 20k.

So if they want, they can likely sell the truck and buy a more fuel-efficient vehicle...I expect it might get a good price with the "celebrity value" of having been Mario William's truck.

Of course, I imagine the same class of people who criticize MW for giving away a "used" truck would manage to criticize the recipients for ungratefully selling it.

Edited by Hopeful

Everyone heres right, he should be given sainthood around here cause he gave away a used vehicle. Maybe mario can't afford to go out and buy a newer one just to give away, its not like he is the highest paid at his position in the history of his position, or in a career field where he makes lots of money. And these people should be greatful they got anything

Seriously, no one is going after the guy for giving something to some deserving people, just commenting that you would think someone with his kind of money could go out and not have to give away something used, or something that is going to cost the people more in fuel to run.

If this was Ralph giving away a used vehicle to veterans, people here would be all over him for not being new. Kind of Ironic, Ralph gives enough to charity just by keeping the team in buffalo and fans aren't exactly greatful to him by constantly insisting that he spend more or Die so someone else can take over....

I'm sure he can which would be one motivation for giving the old one away.

Seriously, it may well be better for the family to receive a used truck especially if they can down-grade the "blue book value".

If it was new, they might have property taxes to pay on it etc. which they could ill afford, and which could be avoided by giving a less expensive (but still functional) used vehicle

There might also be a "gift tax", not sure.

So if they want, they can likely sell the truck and buy a more fuel-efficient vehicle...I expect it might get a good price with the "celebrity value" of having been Mario William's truck.

Of course, I imagine the same class of people who criticize MW for giving away a "used" truck would manage to criticize the recipients for ungratefully selling it.

I am trying to be balanced. Is MW really helping... I suppose. I hope he is not putting them in a bigger hole though! Did you see how many miles they drive? My God... Maybe the best thing for them was that the old truck crapped out. Take the hint people! Again, don't get me wrong... It was a nice gesture. But let's be real here... You gonna treat me like a big shot if I go and throw pennies around in a third world country? Sure people will fall all over my pennies... Better than nothing...

Everyone heres right, he should be given sainthood around here cause he gave away a used vehicle. Maybe mario can't afford to go out and buy a newer one just to give away, its not like he is the highest paid at his position in the history of his position, or in a career field where he makes lots of money. And these people should be greatful they got anything

Seriously, no one is going after the guy for giving something to some deserving people, just commenting that you would think someone with his kind of money could go out and not have to give away something used, or something that is going to cost the people more in fuel to run.

If this was Ralph giving away a used vehicle to veterans, people here would be all over him for not being new. Kind of Ironic, Ralph gives enough to charity just by keeping the team in buffalo and fans aren't exactly greatful to him by constantly insisting that he spend more or Die so someone else can take over....

+1

You're pissing and moaning about someone else's charity? Get a life and get a clue. Maybe next time he'll just sell the vehicle and you will never hear about it.

No matter what, it is a nice gesture.

You're pissing and moaning about someone else's charity? Get a life and get a clue. Maybe next time he'll just sell the vehicle and you will never hear about it.

You know what the classy thing to do is. Just donate it and don't say a word about who it is from. There is no reason why his name needs to be attached to his charity. Same with all other charity.

your right, I should be praised for giving a homeless guy my used socks. Its more then what he had before so he should be greatful even though they are worn and I could have easily went out and given him new ones

The guy gave a vehicle away, what, exactly, is wrong with that? You know, he actually doesn't HAVE to give them anything, but he did.

What I find fault with is the overexaggeration of the gift.

Well, you have your book, and I have mine. I think too much of a media sensation is being made over this. That is what the problem is, IMHO.

your right, I should be praised for giving a homeless guy my used socks. Its more then what he had before so he should be greatful even though they are worn and I could have easily went out and given him new ones

1) That parallel is ridiculous. Used socks carry next to no value. A used vehicle can be driven for--in many cases--another 4-5 years. To think it's even comparable is crazy IMO.

2) So you think that said homeless guy in your made-up scenario is sitting there thinking "what a jerk, go get me some brand new socks"? Yeah, me neither.

See below.

You know what the classy thing to do is. Just donate it and don't say a word about who it is from. There is no reason why his name needs to be attached to his charity. Same with all other charity.

The majority of Americans give anonymously--even large amounts (equal to or greater than a 4 year old Ford F250). These guys feel compelled to tell us all about their gifts, large and small, perhaps to feel better about getting paid millions (or tens of millions) to play a game kids play for free.

This summer there was at least one thread devoted to convincing everyone here what a great guy "Ocho Cinco" was because of his "many" charitable actions. Most of that turned out to be bulls**t and the guy turned out to be exactly the a**hole most of us thought he was.

It is nice that Mario gave "one of his trucks" to these people. But at his level of wealth, I think people expect such publicity to accompany a more profound sacrifice than clearing out his garage. Nothing wrong with just giving the truck and saying nothing. I don't need to know, yet Mario felt compelled to tell me. Why?

That's my 4 cents.

Edited by Mr. WEO

See below.

The majority of Americans give anonymously--even large amounts (equal to or greater than a 4 year old Ford F250). These guys feel compelled to tell us all about their gifts, large and small, perhaps to better about getting paid millions (or tens of millions) to play a game kids play for free.

This summer there was at least one thread devoted to convincing everyone here what a great guy "Ocho Cinco" was because of his "many" charitable actions. Most of that turned out to be bulls**t and the guy turned out to be exactly the a**hole most of us thought he was.

It is nice that Mario gave "one of his trucks" to these people. But at his level of wealth, I think people expect such publicity to accompany a more profound sacrifice than clearing out his garage. Nothing wrong with just giving the truck and saying nothing. I don't need to know, yet Mario felt compelled to tell me. Why?

That's my 4 cents.

Haven't you over valued the giving of your opinion? :lol: j/k by the way.

1) That parallel is ridiculous. Used socks carry next to no value. A used vehicle can be driven for--in many cases--another 4-5 years. To think it's even comparable is crazy IMO.

2) So you think that said homeless guy in your made-up scenario is sitting there thinking "what a jerk, go get me some brand new socks"? Yeah, me neither.

Yeah, the parallel is ridiculous, I'm also a pro athlete who just signed a contract worth over $100 million dollars too

Difference is, my gift also doesn't come with added expenses of insurance, and fuel, future repair Bills

How do you know what someone who received my "donation" is thinking? Do you think that everyone in this world is greatful for your garbage being given to them just because its being given to them and more then what they had before? I'm sure the poor love getting your old dented cans of pumpkin pie filling at the holidays and smile and say 'well, its better then getting nothing"

No. Used socks in a third world country or for the homeless carry extreme value and importance more so than maybe that truck!

FWIW, that Ford truck of Mario's was heavily customized, and according to a F150 message board, the cost was $100k to build

Okay. Fair enough.

To the people who obtained the gift: Sell it now! Before it loses value! They would be able to keep a nice new MODEST ride in the pipeline for a very long time!