Rumor only!! Involves John Gruden

marauderswr80

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when Matt Millen hired Steve Mariucci in Detroit? He was fined $250,000.

Yes, yes I do.

People have been accepting these scam interviews since the rule has been in place. There's always someone that will take it, even if just for experience. AS far as outside perception/retribution, they have no leg to stand on. Sham rule leads to sham interviews. Don't like it, get rid of the rule.

It may not be as easy to fulfill the requirement as you think...and it does need to be fulfilled before they can hire a new coach.

Of course, it's probably not even an issue since they haven't fired Chan, and we have no idea if this Gruden "rumor" has any credibility whatsoever...so I suppose we can let sleeping dogs lie for now.

People have been accepting these scam interviews since the rule has been in place. There's always someone that will take it, even if just for experience. AS far as outside perception/retribution, they have no leg to stand on. Sham rule leads to sham interviews. Don't like it, get rid of the rule.

Can't get rid of the rule now. It would be a political/PR disaster for the NFL.

Just like Mario Williams, right? This argument is really stupid.

Because it's a head coaching job in the NFL, and generally NFL coaches get paid lots of money to do what they love.

It happens, these guys have other options so they'll do what's best for them whether that's money, odds of success, what the organization is like, etc

Because no sham interview was held.

Do you remember when Pittsburgh was ready to hire Russ Grimm to replace Bill Cowher, but had to conduct a "sham" interview first? That hot-shot one-year DC from Minnesota impressed them, won the job, and took them to a Superbowl Championship in year two.

I'll bet they're happy with the "sham interview" now...don't you think?

Because no sham interview was held.

Agreed. IIRC, Millen made no bones about the fact that he wanted Mooch, only Mooch,and nobody but Mooch. Of course, no minority coach with a modicum of self-respect would interview under those circumstances.

Do you remember when Pittsburgh was ready to hire Russ Grimm to replace Bill Cowher, but had to conduct a "sham" interview first? That hot-shot one-year DC from Minnesota impressed them, won the job, and took them to a Superbowl Championship in year two.

I'll bet they're happy with the "sham interview" now...don't you think?

What point is your sarcastic (and incorrect) post supposed to be making? I said the rule is, and the interviews that result, are a sham. Even if it had resulted in a legitimate signing of a head coach, it doesn't take away from the overall absurdity of the rule and many of the interviews that have been held in it's name.

As far as that situation goes, the Steelers had already interviewed a minority to satisfy the Roony Rule before interviewing "that DC from Minnesota", so his interview and hiring had nothing to do with it at all. But nice try.

Edited by Faustus

is this the wrong time to point out that no NFL Head Coach has won the Super Bowl for two different teams?

Just saying. :blush:

Could Gruden actually take a team to the playoffs that wasn't already built first?

I was being facetious....but....I don't know about you but I want us to be able to win a SB.

I want it, but I can't imagine it ever happening. Even if it does, the Bills have to build themselves into a competent organization first. They're a long way off. At least getting to the playoffs would be a good step.