Idiots Abound

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe as a literary work or a long-running example of the telephone game. :)

Absolutely as a literary work. Religious texts are rather interesting, and the Christian theology is unique.

I agree. Right up until the part where God knows everthing...

I'm not so sure. If there is a God and if he stands outside of time, seeing past, present, and future, as the creator of all, I don't think it's a stretch to say he would know everything. Or at least know every possibility (which is another definition of omniscience I've been toying with, which would be the most compatible with things like prophecy and free will; but it would pose problems with God's supposed omnipotence).

They were done in the 80's I think and people are still debating the methodology, as well as the meaning of the results. It's a good read with lots of videos available as I recall.

I'll take a look today. Got the day off from work! Honestly, I've never really seen much value in abstractions such as free will and omniscience, but they're still fun to talk about.

You must have studied religions in school at some point? While this stuff does make my head spin, I still find it interesting. Maybe I'll check that out in all the free time I don't have...

Ha! Make your kids read it and write summaries. Or read it to them as their bedtime story (I have no clue how old your kid are).

I believe in God in a "Miracle on 34th Street" kind of way.

I'd like to believe in free will, but I've never come across a plausible account of what it could be and I've not been able to formulate one myself.

I think people are good, but needy. When they don't get what they need, they get... unpredictable.

Religion does not work for me. I see it helps some others, so I don't object (much).

Edited by gringo starr