Idiots Abound

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people are taught to lead good lives, so they will get to heaven. Will that path lead to heaven? It comes across as having a predetermined and selfish reason to do something good, instead of being altruistic. Not trying to be a pain with that question, but it is food for thought and some interesting conversation. Way do you think?

quite the contrary. When discussed in a civil manner, I find talking about the roots of religious philosophy to be extremely intriguing.

John 16:4 “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I'm thinking he has no logical retort, thus the ad hominem reply...

I meant on the original question- unless it offended you. Hopefully not though.

John 16:4 “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I will take that as you believe people do good for altruistic reasons. Hope you are right!

Yes, we are taking over! Lol. Seriously though, expand on that. What is your take?

Adam, I appreciate a pleasant, straightforward request like yours, but I'm afraid that my religious beliefs are the one topic that I stay away from here.

I'll discuss the government, politics and the culture, however I do not try and convince anyone to share my beliefs about God and I see little reason to put them out there for the multiple anti-religious posters on this board to wade through.

on this subject I guess you could say I'm.........Adam..............lol

Adam, I appreciate a pleasant, straightforward request like yours, but I'm afraid that my religious beliefs are the one topic that I stay away from here.

I'll discuss the government, politics and the culture, however I do not try and convince anyone to share my beliefs about God and I see little reason to put them out there for the multiple anti-religious posters on this board to wade through.

on this subject I guess you could say I'm.........Adam..............lol

Wow. I am honored!

I believe that people are motivated by many different things, altruism and fear among them.

Yes, fear is one of the strongest motivators. If you combine them, it really increases. The two don't even have to be mutually exclusive.

How can free will exist if god is omniscient?

Hell if I know. I see two ways around it (mind you, I'm not a believer). First option is that "omniscience" means knowing all possible outcomes. That one is ****ty, because omniscience means something else entirely, especially from the Christian perspective. The second is that a being with omniscience does not affect one's free will. Let's say you are suddenly gifted with omniscience. Does your foreknowledge of my typing out this post mean that I didn't choose to type it? Is my choice less real simply because you know the outcome? I happen to not think so, personally. But hey, that's me.

I'd say an atheist or agnostic who leads a decent, moral life is a better human being than a Christian who does so to gain an eternal reward.

I can tell you were raised Catholic. There's some guy out there. Led a pretty big movement. I think his name was Martin Luther. Look him up.

Oh, there's another one too, his name was Yeshua or something like that. He had something to say about that too :nana:

I'm convinced

See the above. TYTT wasn't trying to convince you of anything, he was trying to show you the biblical Christian perspective, which is in opposition to the idolatrous Roman one :P

I like this one better:

Matthew 7:21-23

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Note that God's will, from the Christian perspective, is not works, Gene.

Edited by LeviF91

I like this one better:

Matthew 7:21-23

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Note that God's will, from the Christian perspective, is not works, Gene.

not bad but I chose Isaiah 13:13 - 13:16 as being more telling

For I will shake the heavens. The earth will move from its place when the LORD of Heaven's Armies displays his wrath in the day of his fierce anger. They will be like a hunted gazelle, or like sheep with no one to gather them, each will turn to his own people, and each will flee to his own land. Whoever is found will be stabbed, and whoever is caught will die by the sword. Their infants will be dashed in pieces before their eyes; their houses will be plundered and their wives raped.

For I will shake the heavens. The earth will move from its place when the LORD of Heaven's Armies displays his wrath in the day of his fierce anger. They will be like a hunted gazelle, or like sheep with no one to gather them, each will turn to his own people, and each will flee to his own land. Whoever is found will be stabbed, and whoever is caught will die by the sword. Their infants will be dashed in pieces before their eyes; their houses will be plundered and their wives raped.

Powerful stuff.

This is why the Bible is an objectively awesome book.

Being that as a kid, I didn't pay much attention in bible study, is Isaiah in the Old Testament? Do any atheists ever quote the New Testament?

Isaiah is Old Testament, a major prophet.

And most don't. Unless you got some serious biblical scholarship going on, there's not much for people to latch on to and criticize (everything that can be criticized has to do with the writers and language, really, not so much the content itself, i.e. how the Resurrection story is told in the different gospels and how Matthew is a bit more, ah, inclusive with his writing). Some of the dumber ones try, but miss the point entirely and make themselves sound stupid.