We know Chan's a goner. Here's Ralph's list.

Dr. Trooth

Ralph is 96 (? 94?). The team will be sold within the next few years. No serious coach will come to Buffalo knowing that whoever buys the Bills will want to install their own front office, their own GM, their own head coach. Taking a job in Buffalo would be signing on to limbo.

No big name coach will come so long as Ralph is here. In fact, I'm betting Chan is still here come kickoff next season.

Not only this, but conducting a HC search like the one that ultimately hired Chan was a huge embarrassment. Nix was turned down repeatedly and they had trouble even getting interviews for the job. No way do they want to open themselves up to that situation again.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have missed it. Obviously we as fans are caling for Chan's dismissal, but I thought Nix said he was staying next year?

If my memory serves me correctly, he also said Marshawn Lynch wasn't on the trade block when he started against Green Bay and was traded a couple days later. You can't believe anything Nix says. He lies through his teeth trying to say what people want to hear.

I like both of these candidates.

Both men have very recently and very successfully worked with rookie quarterbacks.

It seems like Arians got run out of Pitt because management wanted someone to "stand up" to Big Ben instead of enabling him. They should have just told Arians to reign him in a bit. It's almost like Tomlin passed the buck for not being able to control Arians and/or Big Ben.

Arians has done a great job with Andrew Luck and got the Colts to the playoffs as interim head coach.

The whole Indy situation is so weird because it'll probably end up that Arians will have coached the Colts to the playoffs, and will have to step aside for Pagano before the playoffs begin. Furthermore, Arians will most likely end up leaving as a result of his success as the interim coach.

And no one has any clue as to how Pagano will do. There's a lot of feel good moments throughout his recovery but again, there's no telling if the team will get better or worse once he takes the reigns from Arians.

It actually would surprise me if the Colts haven't had internal discussions about how and at what cost they could keep Arians, especially as he is probably bound at the hip with Andrew Luck at this point. These discussions have probably encompassed every (and I mean EVERY) scenario but of course they're not gonna ask a guy who just recovered from leukemia to step down.

Very interesting situation.

Great points, the Colt's will probably do everything in their power to keep him in Indy with the uncertainty of their coaching future.

Like many fans I have been thinking of who i want to coach this team since the Tennessee game, where coaching truly was the reason for the team losing the game. This year Chan Gailey has been in over his head I hope that Buddy can see that.

Vic Fangio is the defensive coordinator for the 49ers. I love the tenacity of their defense, it is coming from a defensive coach with a ton of experience and a proven track record. Jim harbaugh is a good coach but the defense is what has made the 49ers as good as they are.

Fangios specialty is line backers.

resume

he was linebackers coach for the saints from 86 to 94 where he coached one of the best line backing corps of all time. I was not around for this but i have heard great things about this group jim mora gets credited for.

from 95-98 he was D coordinator for the panthers where he had a team that finished in the top 10 for pts and yards for two of the three years

from 02-05 he was with the Texans as D coordinator. The texans were just a bad team, i will give him a pass.

he coached with the ravens and Stanford between the Texans and niners.

he is now with the 49ers where he looks to have another one of the best LB corps in the games history with patrick willis Navorro bowman, Aldon smith and ahmad brooks. Jim harbaugh is a offensive coach he is not the reason this teams defense is going crazy. top 3 in pts and yards the past 2 years.

we bring in manti te'o for him to start it all off with.

Throw the money at this guy.

GET IT DONE BUDDY!

This guy has a very strong resume, and would make an excellent candidate for head coach. As for the argument some have made that he wouldn't come here: typically people who rise to the level Fangio has have a great deal of self-confidence. They are used to succeeding. A guy like Fangio probably believes that if you gave him a few years, he could turn around a broken team--especially if the GM was willing to work with him to get him the kinds of players he needs.

And it's not like the Bills are entirely broken. When healthy, the offensive line is a source of strength. Spiller and Stevie Johnson are very good players. There's some talent on the defense. If the Bills obtained a franchise quarterback, and a few reasonably competent defensive starters, this team could have potential.

The ownership situation is another matter, and may give head coaching candidates pause. On the other hand, a head coach may assume that by the time Ralph Wilson dies, he'll have proven his value as a head coach. But let's say that he succeeds as a head coach, but gets fired anyway by a new owner cleaning house. His successful tenure as head coach will significantly enhance the strength of his resume in the eyes of other GMs around the league. This assumes, of course, that he is successful as a head coach.

My one concern with drafting a guy from the defensive side of the ball is that the Bills' biggest need is for a franchise quarterback. The last thing I want is for a head coaching candidate to pressure Nix to fix the defense now, and worry about quarterback later. If the Bills can possibly get their hands on a franchise QB in this upcoming draft, the time to get that QB is right now. The price paid for that quarterback is irrelevant, because a franchise quarterback will more than justify any price the Bills might conceivably pay.

Here it is. An alphabetical list of every retread HC, perceived HC commodity, "I've heard of him", or on someone's 'wish list' coaches for Ralph to consider to be his next Kevlar vest. For sure, the Bills next HC is on this list. If not, please feel free to add yours.

Bobby April

Bruce Arians

Brian Billick

Todd Bowles

Keith Butler

Tom Cable

Cam Cameron

Dom Capers

Brad Childress

Kelly Clarkson

Bill Cowher

Romeo Crennel

Jack DelRio

Howdy Doody

Tony Dungy

Herm Edwards

Kevin Greene

Russ Grimm

Jon Gruden

Vic Fangio

Jim Fassel

Perry Fewell

Jim Haslett

Hue Jackson

Chip Kelly

Jim Kelly

Lane Kiffen

Monte Kiffen

Mike Leach

Scott Linehan

Eric Mangini

Steve Mariucci

Doug Marrone

Dave McGinnis

Pete Metzelaars

Dick Nolan

Sean Payton

Ron Pitts

Dean Pees

Frank Reich

Andy Reid

Ron Rivera

Terry Robiskie

Mike Sherman

Tony Sparano

Jerry Sullivan

Rex Ryan

Rob Ryan

Nick Saban

Adam Sandler

Marty Schottenheimer

Brian Schottenheimer

Kurt Schottenheimer

Howard Simon

Mike Singletary

Mike Shula

Darryl Talley

Steve Tasker

Mike Tice

Thurman Thomas

Emmitt Thomas

Mark Trestman

Norv Turner

Joe Vitt

Dave Wannstedt

You seriously have way too much time on your hands.

I want a coach who does this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A566LyABuOg

And who can forget Dennis Green?

I'm sure those guys are available. Dennis Green might need an unlimited McDonalds gift certificate, but otherwise they'd be cheap.

That was *bleep*ing fantastic! :w00t:

Vocally he reminded me of Bill Murray's Carl Spackler from Caddyshack.

Steve Spurrier welcome back to the NFL!

He epitomizes the pass-centric offense. In DC he was just ahead of his time. He knows how to get the most out of young players. And he has the moxie to more than stand up to division bullies like bellichick and Ryan.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Steve Spurrier welcome back to the NFL!

He epitomizes the pass-centric offense. In DC he was just ahead of his time. He knows how to get the most out of young players. And he has the moxie to more than stand up to division bullies like bellichick and Ryan.

Geez Joe.

Give it up on the Spurrier stuff already.