Are there such things as inherent losers?

I have never been a fan of how the media portrays people as either "winners" or "losers". For example, Tom Brady is just a "winner". He just is; end of conversation. It has nothing to do with having a system that fits his skill set and that he has Bill Bellichek as coach. He just has a winner's mentality and he was destine to be a champion (according to ESPN, the media). At the same time, they used to put the tag on Peyton Manning as a "loser". He couldn't perform in big games. It was like he just wasn't destine to be a champion. Though he won one, some would still argue he does not perform well in big moments.

I used to throw this away as garbage. I felt it was the media generating stories and defining people's identites falsely. However, I am beginning to give it some credence. Are there teams/coaches/players who just inherently are losers? Are there people who subconsciously or something find ways to lose? I know this seems crazy but I am beginning to believe it. This Bills team and other factors are beginning to convince me of this. And unfortunately, I am a fan of a franchise/team/coaches/players who are all stricken with this condition. It is as though, subconsciously, the team thinks they deserve to lose and it finds a way to make that happen, one way or another. They consistently find ways to lose games; very creative ways.

Chan tried to change some of this culture to get the players to "expect to win". I think that can help but it might even go deeper than that. Unfortunately, this franchise/team's collective consciousness is that of a loser. I am becoming a believer in this way of thinking.

I would also like to point out that I think a very negative media and cynical fanbase can contribute to this perpetuating.

This "loser consciousness" will be tough to get rid of for the Buffalo Bills. Until this deep seeded mentality is gone, they will crumble because they do not think they deserve to win or that they should win.

I dont buy the negative media or cynical fanbase. For 13 years what are the local media supposed to write about? The great wins, drafts, coaching? The fans have been abused for over a decade and have seen some horrendous loses. Its amazing they are still in the stands.

The inherent losers are coaches like Jauron and Chan who coach scared and dont have the stones to be an NFL coach.

I was thinking about the culture of losing and whoever is the coach next year, I think it's important for this team to win in preseason next year, just for the psyche of this team.

Edited by billsfan714

I dont buy the negative media or cynical fanbase. For 13 years what are the local media supposed to write about? The great wins, drafts, coaching? The fans have been abused for over a decade and have seen some horrendous loses. Its amazing they are still in the stands.

I was thinking about the culture of losing and whoever is the coach next year, I think it's important for this team to win in preseason next year, just for the psyche of this team.

The critical media and cynical fanbase was a sidenote of my post. Do you believe there is such a thing as inherent "losers" or "winners".

The 52 man roster and/or the coaching staffs of the last 13 years are certainly not all losers. It's a tired argument, but s*** rolls downhill from the ownership

If George Wilson could catch we'd probably be singing a different tune. If Fred Jackson had not fumbled. If Gilmore's pick was not called back.

I don't know why we always seem to come up a few plays short. I guess our QB is not good enough, and our coach is too conservative.

The critical media and cynical fanbase was a sidenote of my post. Do you believe there is such a thing as inherent "losers" or "winners".

I get what you are saying. It seems since the Norwood miss, you watched the superbowls and the next 3 werent really close, then the music city miracle and combine that with loses like the Pats Monday nighter and the Dallas Monday nighter and you watch a game like that and just think......how are we going to lose this and the Bills find a way to do just that.

I do not write here very often, but have been here a long time. Last year I told "my" Season Ticket rep that I could no longer spend then money. Not that the ticket prices were bad, but when I added up the cost of my out of town travel, lodging, food, time, lost time and energy, I could no longer justify owning the tickets. I hoped the Bills proved me wrong. I still bleed red, white and blue, but I just needed to see something before a continuation of putting my good money to the bad. Again, I hoped that I would be regreting not re-upping my tixs.

But this has gotten just plain sad! In my mind, this is no longer just my favorite sports team losing, nope, I no longer even get Super Bowl jokes from my friends, I don't even get attacked for being a Bills fan, nope I now get pitty......I get pitty for being a Bills fan! I feel as though I am a part of culture a culture of losing, and I feel like the powers that be ( and I do not single out the owner) are good with it. I sure hope I am wrong, but what is this now 13 years without even a quick exit from the playoffs? So I ask is there any business that would stick with the same people in the suits and ties, if the business that they have been put in charge of had a losing performance for 13 years? No? Then why then do the Bills allow this? The only answer I can come up with, is that a culture, a culture of losing is good enough.

Edited by 30dive

It's a culture of mediocrity. A critical evaluation of the how the organization thinks about traditions, its mission, engagement of people at all levels, recognition, and education/training is where to start. And, unfortunately, a 94 year old, out of touch owner probably isn't the cornerstone of a vibrant, forward-looking football team. I get the sense there's no real vision there, and it trickles all the way down through the front office to the sideline and onto the field.

This franchise

I get what you are saying. It seems since the Norwood miss, you watched the superbowls and the next 3 werent really close, then the Tennessee Illegal Forward Pass and combine that with loses like the Pats Monday nighter and the Dallas Monday nighter and you watch a game like that and just think......how are we going to lose this and the Bills find a way to do just that.

fixed

In a league that does everything possible to create parity and give every team a chance to win, there are still dynasties and winning franchises. If you study business, culture defines everything. Of course there is luck and hard work involved but organizations that have the right culture to breed success usually do so. There are a number of examples in the NFL. It all starts with the owner. Whatever he does or does not do, Ralph simply has not created a culture conducive to winning. He got lucky with Polian, Saban, Gilchirst, and OJ. Three of the four he chased out of town after they had proven to be successful. Is it jealousy? Is it interference in football operations? Is it lack of resources? One day when RW dies we may get the true story from Polian. Sadly Ralph's legacy is defined only that he never left the city of Buffalo while he was alive. He will die thinking he did all he could for the city. And when the team is sold and moved in the months after his death only then will we see his incompetence fully manifest.

Its a great question. I was wondering myself today why is it some teams can consistently close the deal and some can't. My guess it comes down to confidence and play calling/coaching Confidence because there's a history and vision of successes in the pass. And coaching because the better coaches will save the best for last, or at least let crunch time bring out the best insights from what they've been observing the whole game

I read one of the rams players said they wanted it more today. I have a hard time relating to that because I can't imagine why bills or any team would want it less. But if true begs the question why didn't bills want it as bad as rams

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I don't think losing is genetic in nature, but I do think that a team has to learn how to win---and the Bills have yet to do that. Whether it is finding the most Easter eggs, finishing first in a running race or winning football games, I believe that the team has to be taught to win. I don't believe that the Bills have figured this out yet. While there may not be classes offered to learn about winning, the organization can surround the team with the concept of winning, e.g., refusing to make excuses for losing and stressing winning by doing the things winners do.

Hiring employees is an art, not a science. When a hiree doesn't exhibit the qualities the organization seeks, re-training is needed; if the individual still doesn't accomplish the objectives, the organization must replace the individual. Hiring someone who turns out to be the "wrong" person isn't a mistake; keeping that person in the organization after determining that he/she doesn't fit IS a mistake--a mistake that can poison the atmosphere of the organization. Continuing the employment of the wrong person is a long-term nagging problem. It is much preferred to fire the person, and possibly suffer a short-term, high profile issue, than continue a non-productive employee.

So, fire the head coach, do it now, today.

A winning culture is everyting. It comes down to one word confidence. Take a look at your personal lives, when you are confident and in the zone then things seem to fall naturally into place. This holds true for team sports and football in particular.

A team that lacks confidence won't win. It will play not to lose, won't 'buy in' to what coaches are trying to implement,unravel when things don't go right, it can't force their will on opponents and won't put in the extra work to help ensure outcomes. I am not Tony Robbins or anything, but confidence is something that I believe will makes all the difference.

The trouble is that confidence is very hard to instill and yes, some people are just born with it. Football is the ultimate team game and it is up to the coach to get his players to get it. Once implemented, players will get other players and so on. I guess another word for it is, leadership.

Two types of coaches can each be effective, players coaches and/or screamers. Both can work it depends on the team.

Time to go, I have a yoga class to attend.

Edited by agardin