Nix: Patience fans, patience (sorry, no Jay Rosen quotes)

Beerball

Patience...this GM / HC could have ten years and never build a winning team.

To quote the HoF HC from the past Buffalo Bills. When Marv Levy first arrived his words were "we want to get as good as we can as fast as we can" .

In two years the Bills under Polian / Levy they turned over the entire roster and had the team in the playoffs their 3rd year, they went 11-1 while winning the AFC East division faster then any other team in the NFL had won a division.

Patience is an excuse for losers!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patience...this GM / HC could have ten years and never build a winning team.

To quote the HoF HC from the past Buffalo Bills. When Marv Levy first arrived his words were "we want to get as good as we can as fast as we can" .

In two years the Bills under Polian / Levy they turned over the entire roster and had the team in the playoffs their 3rd year, they went 11-1 while winning the AFC East division faster then any other team in the NFL had won a division.

Patience is an excuse for losers!

I'm gonna voice disappointment with the current regime's performance while calling out your thesis. Free agency has changed the game completely, and Polian / Levy did not have to contend with it while building the Super Bills. And QBs are way more important in this era than they were in the 80s - though certainly Kelly's presence helped considerably. That said, Simms, Hostetler, Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, and Troy Aikman won Super Bowls in the Bills' heyday. Marino, Elway and Kelly -- all better QBs by most measures -- didn't. Today, it's rare that you win without the QB. I'll call the Bills out on not selecting one outside of Levi Brown during Nix's tenure, but even if they had gotten one, it could have been Gabbert, Ponder or someone else leading a non-playoff team right now.

Patience in building a complete team is more necessary, now, and it is extremely difficult to both identify and be in a position to select a great QB. The Bills need to be aggressive even if it costs them in some ways this offseason. If they don't do that, my patience will go out the window in the same way yours seems to have.

Exactly...Unfortunately Bills Fans were hoping Nix, the veteran scout, was not going to need much on-the-job-training...Tough lesson for us all to learn I guess... B-)

Yeah - I really like Nix, however, I feel like he is very old fashioned when it comes to drafting. I love his talent evaluation. I'm pleased with his drafts - I think the Bills have more talent now than they've had in a long time, they're just lacking specific talent at the QB, LB, and Coordinator positions. He is a good player evaluator, but the NFL has changed a TON in the past 10 years. If Nix has been in the league for what - 30 years or so? - and he had tried and true methods which he'd aquired over those years, learning from great GM's, I can see how it might be hard for him to adapt to what the NFL is now, and especially the new value on QB's and creative coaching. I'd be curious to know what input Whaley has had over the last few years, and who he would have chosen on draft day had he been able. I like knowing that he is in place to take over the reigns when Nix retires, because Whaley is young and has pedigree, and was highly thought of around the league when we were looking to find the GM which Nix ended up getting. It was wise of him to secure the young talent in Whaley when he did. Lets hope he's got his A game on this time around and lands us a talented starting caliber QB and LB, with perhaps a complimentary WR, too.

Lets all keep in mind that...

Doug Whaley

is taking the reins while Nix is still the spokesperson and the idea guy.

There is zero doubt in my mind once Nix and crew got here they were looking for the next best QB. They probably found a couple.

But they have been building the defense

I am sure they had a decent board by two years ago.

And last year was the best draft yet. Very well done. But they missed out on QB. they f'd up. Nix knows it too. He did not need to be called out. Now that revunue is down Ralphies bean counters are probably in hysterics again

Whaley has his his eye on a couple qbs upcoming. But I bet he wishes he could wait till "14" to mortgage the farm and trade up then. The crop is so much better i hear tell.

But i wanted to remind you all that the transition to a guy i am delighted to have here might be our future.

Thats alright by me. Just a little patience....

GIt r done Dougie

I'm gonna voice disappointment with the current regime's performance while calling out your thesis. Free agency has changed the game completely, and Polian / Levy did not have to contend with it while building the Super Bills. And QBs are way more important in this era than they were in the 80s - though certainly Kelly's presence helped considerably. That said, Simms, Hostetler, Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, and Troy Aikman won Super Bowls in the Bills' heyday. Marino, Elway and Kelly -- all better QBs by most measures -- didn't. Today, it's rare that you win without the QB. I'll call the Bills out on not selecting one outside of Levi Brown during Nix's tenure, but even if they had gotten one, it could have been Gabbert, Ponder or someone else leading a non-playoff team right now.

Patience in building a complete team is more necessary, now, and it is extremely difficult to both identify and be in a position to select a great QB. The Bills need to be aggressive even if it costs them in some ways this offseason. If they don't do that, my patience will go out the window in the same way yours seems to have.

No offense, but complete hogwash about free agency and another excuse for the current losers in control. but like I stated, Patience is for losers

The 49ers became instantly better once they hired Jim Harbaugh. From 6-10 to 13-3 JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH. In one year

The Atlanta Falcons became instantly better when they hired Thomas Dimitroff as GM who in turn hired HC Mike Smith. From 4-12 to 11-5 JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH. In one year

The Denver Broncos became better after ONE year by hiring the right head coach. From 4-12 to 8-8, and playoffs to 9-3 this year JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH in two years. This year they went after Peyton Manning and secured him in free agency (something the Buffalo Bills never even gave a thought to doing)

The Indianapolis Colts fired Jim Caldwell after two seasons 10-6 to 2-14 and hired Chuck Pagano who had to leave the team this season because of illness. the team is still winning because of the supporting cast the HC assembled. The Colts are currently 8-4 and in the playoffs because they didn't tolerate a loser for a president- GM- HC swept the entire staff and hired a new GM along with a complete new staff. That same 2-14 team is 8-4 because of rookie QB Andrew Luck and because they had the balls to hire the right men.

Free agency my a$$ for an excuse. The Bills handed out 100 Million dollars for a DE which they wouldn't have needed to do if anyone in the building knew a freaking thing about who / how to draft a pass rusher the last 3 years. The Bills have drafted 30+ players and brought in a bunch of free agents. How many of those have become starters and made an impact on the team, save the first round picks?

Get a grip people and Face facts, this GM blows goats, The HC he hired blows goats, and the DC the HC hired is the worst of the batch

14-28 in 3 years, whats wrong with you guys that you keep making excuses for these clowns?

No offense, but complete hogwash about free agency and another excuse for the current losers in control. but like I stated, Patience is for losers

The 49ers became instantly better once they hired Jim Harbaugh. From 6-10 to 13-3 JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH. In one year

The Atlanta Falcons became instantly better when they hired Thomas Dimitroff as GM who in turn hired HC Mike Smith. From 4-12 to 11-5 JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH. In one year

The Denver Broncos became better after ONE year by hiring the right head coach. From 4-12 to 8-8, and playoffs to 9-3 this year JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH in two years. This year they went after Peyton Manning and secured him in free agency (something the Buffalo Bills never even gave a thought to doing)

The Indianapolis Colts fired Jim Caldwell after two seasons 10-6 to 2-14 and hired Chuck Pagano who had to leave the team this season because of illness. the team is still winning because of the supporting cast the HC assembled. The Colts are currently 8-4 and in the playoffs because they didn't tolerate a loser for a president- GM- HC swept the entire staff and hired a new GM along with a complete new staff. That same 2-14 team is 8-4 because of rookie QB Andrew Luck and because they had the balls to hire the right men.

Free agency my a$$ for an excuse. The Bills handed out 100 Million dollars for a DE which they wouldn't have needed to do if anyone in the building knew a freaking thing about who / how to draft a pass rusher the last 3 years. The Bills have drafted 30+ players and brought in a bunch of free agents. How many of those have become starters and made an impact on the team, save the first round picks?

Get a grip people and Face facts, this GM blows goats, The HC he hired blows goats, and the DC the HC hired is the worst of the batch

14-28 in 3 years, whats wrong with you guys that you keep making excuses for these clowns?

this. spot on. :worthy:

I'll take "the coaches aren't good enough and much of the talent actually is" for $400, Alex. Did Jim Harbaugh assemble that whole team, or did he just better know what to do with them? If you want to call Jim Harbaugh some kind of genius that magically made that defense better, or claim that his shrewd acquisition of Donte Whitner was the glue that put it all together, be my guest. It took time for SF; Harbaugh saw that the team had most of the pieces. I think a fearless coach would say the same of the Bills, and a good coach would know how to win with them as constituted.

Indy doesn't count. I now firmly believe they tanked on purpose to get Luck. That has ZERO to do with hiring the right men and it might have a lot to do with the "right man" they had (Polian) being fired.

I feel like we are a QB away from being a playoff team, and a QB, TE, and a few LBs away from beating NE once a season and being more in the conversation. Obviously, we have to stop losing OLmen to season-ending injuries with such regularity, too. Does this excuse drafting Aaron Williams instead of a QB? Of course not. But there's a reason this team has never been bad enough to go 3-13 or lower and get that top pick. It's because there are actually some decent players. Complain about the missteps but also realize these are the guys who found Urbik, Chandler, Nelson, Pears - they'd be quality players on any team. Kyle Moore could be another of those guys. The raw material is there for a good DL. Brooks could be a good CB. You have to examine all transactions, not just the high-profile ones.

I make zero excuses for the Bills FO, though. If these guys don't get a QB soon, though, hang 'em high. I am not satisfied with Chan and his stubborn ways, either.

I'll take "the coaches aren't good enough and much of the talent actually is" for $400, Alex. Did Jim Harbaugh assemble that whole team, or did he just better know what to do with them? If you want to call Jim Harbaugh some kind of genius that magically made that defense better, or claim that his shrewd acquisition of Donte Whitner was the glue that put it all together, be my guest. It took time for SF; Harbaugh saw that the team had most of the pieces. I think a fearless coach would say the same of the Bills, and a good coach would know how to win with them as constituted.

Indy doesn't count. I now firmly believe they tanked on purpose to get Luck. That has ZERO to do with hiring the right men and it might have a lot to do with the "right man" they had (Polian) being fired.

I feel like we are a QB away from being a playoff team, and a QB, TE, and a few LBs away from beating NE once a season and being more in the conversation. Obviously, we have to stop losing OLmen to season-ending injuries with such regularity, too. Does this excuse drafting Aaron Williams instead of a QB? Of course not. But there's a reason this team has never been bad enough to go 3-13 or lower and get that top pick. It's because there are actually some decent players. Complain about the missteps but also realize these are the guys who found Urbik, Chandler, Nelson, Pears - they'd be quality players on any team. Kyle Moore could be another of those guys. The raw material is there for a good DL. Brooks could be a good CB. You have to examine all transactions, not just the high-profile ones.

I make zero excuses for the Bills FO, though. If these guys don't get a QB soon, though, hang 'em high. I am not satisfied with Chan and his stubborn ways, either.

Not only did Jim Harbaugh help resurrect a former #1 draft pick QB in Alex Smith who was regarded as a really bad QB by everyone in the league, and turned a losing QB into a winner. He KNEW what coaches to hire and what schemes to run!

Ya see that bolded KNEW part? Harbaugh came in and hired the right OC & DC. The defense ranked 15th in 09 / 13th in 2010 suddenly got a whole lot better to #4 in the NFL in 2011, this season they are #2 in total defense.

Harbaugh KNEW to setup a run first offense to help the not so good QB gain confidence, and learn how to win. He did this in a strike shortened off season too.

By the same token the moron Gailey came in and took a defense ranked 19th in 2009 and made them so much worse to #24 in 2010, #26 in 2011, now 24th again. but were near last in the league most of this year with a 100 million dollar DE. Read my sig, this defense this year set NFL records for being bad. Made Alex Smith look better then both Steve Young and Joe Montana

The key here is knowing what assistant coaches to hire and what players to draft / bring in during free agency to make the team better. The difference between the two coaches is staggering when you consider that Gailey was the HC at Dallas for a winning team and has lots of previous experience as both an NFL OC / HC, and in college. Harbaugh had only coached college but he was clearly the smarter man in knowing how to setup a winning team. The 49ers already had Alex Smith who took them to the NFC Championship game and then he was smart enough to draft a QB in the 2nd round last season...forethought!

Lastly, My take is if you gave Chan Gailey that 49ers team in 2011 during a strike shortened off season he would have effed that team up completely. He would have tried to setup a high powered spread offense with a beleaguered QB while ignoring that power run game they have, and screwed the offense up. Then given his choices for DC I'd say they would be in about the same boat as the current Buffalo Bills....bad!

You and I seem to agree the Bills have player talent, save at QB. Where we don't agree is just how much of a moron Gailey is, along with Buddy Nix. They both married themselves to a broken QB who was never a winner, and then didn't even try and draft a QB the last 2 years to groom behind Fitz. The 2012 Buffalo Bills are the result of major stupidity by this HC & GM.

Edited by FeartheLosing

They also had a first-overall pick at QB to work with; and drafted a QB in Harbaugh's first off-season. To say that they got from 6-10 to 13-3 in one off-season "JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH" is mis-representing the situation.

They also spent the 3rd overall pick on a QB in Smith's first off-season. To say that they got from 4-12 to 11-5 in one off-season "JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH" is grossly mis-representing the situation.

Denver went from 4-12 to 1-5 with that new head coach; then they made a switch at QB and got to 8-8. Now, they're 9-3 because they went out and got Peyton Manning, so again, to say that they got from 4-12 to 8-8 to 9-3 this season "JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH" is mis-representing the situation.

The Colts went 10-6 with Manning, 2-14 without him, and now are 8-4 because of Andrew Luck. The Head Coach you are touting has spent a grand total of 2 weeks of the regular season coaching the team, so again, to say that they got to 8-4 this season "because they had the balls to hire the right men" is--once again--mis-representing the situation. They managed to be awful at the right time so that they could get a QB; it's not exactly front-office prowess.

The common thread, as has been pointed out on this forum, ad nauseum, is quality QB play.

Great QB = Great team.

Get a great QB, and you'll have a great team. The best teams in the NFL aren't solid across the board; in fact, they aren't even solid at many different positions...they're solid at one position: QB.

Belichick never won anything without Brady.

Dungy never won anything without Manning.

Cowher never won anything without Roethlisberger.

Holmgren never won anything without Favre.

Shanahan never won anything without Elway.

McCarthy never won anything without Rodgers.

Coughlin never won anything without Eli.

It's the QB, and your examples prove it.

They also had a first-overall pick at QB to work with; and drafted a QB in Harbaugh's first off-season. To say that they got from 6-10 to 13-3 in one off-season "JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH" is mis-representing the situation.

Hogwash, must be from skimming a post and not reading it thoroughly! Alex Smith was a bust for a #1 pick before Jim Harbaugh, and was never a winner. Harbaugh turned him into a top QB by installing the proper Run offense!http://walterfootbal...erbackbusts.php Notice that Alec Smith's name is listed as a bust in this link

They also spent the 3rd overall pick on a QB in Smith's first off-season. To say that they got from 4-12 to 11-5 in one off-season "JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH" is grossly mis-representing the situation.Yea, Its what smart GM's HC's do over morons like Gailey / Nix .

Denver went from 4-12 to 1-5 with that new head coach; then they made a switch at QB and got to 8-8. Now, they're 9-3 because they went out and got Peyton Manning, so again, to say that they got from 4-12 to 8-8 to 9-3 this season "JUST BY HIRING A GOOD HEAD COACH" is mis-representing the situation. Denver hired John Fox and they instantly became a playoff team with Tim Tebow at QB because the HC had the OC setup the offense around Tebow and what he does best. Not only did they make the playoffs in Fox's first year. They also beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs. Yep, John fox won a playoff game with Tim Tebow at QB :w00t:

The Colts went 10-6 with Manning, 2-14 without him, and now are 8-4 because of Andrew Luck. The Head Coach you are touting has spent a grand total of 2 weeks of the regular season coaching the team, so again, to say that they got to 8-4 this season "because they had the balls to hire the right men" is--once again--mis-representing the situation.

They managed to be awful at the right time so that they could get a QB; it's not exactly front-office prowess.

How many teams have drafted a #1 QB only to see him constantly sacked, constantly throwing INT"s, constantly losing games! This list is endless. Joey Harrington-David Car-Ryan Leaf-Vince Young. etc,etc, etc. It was the HC and assembling a proper staff and support to ALSO enable that QB to play well.

The common thread, as has been pointed out on this forum, ad nauseum, is quality QB play.Great QB = Great team.Get a great QB, and you'll have a great team. The best teams in the NFL aren't solid across the board; in fact, they aren't even solid at many different positions...they're solid at one position: QB.

Belichick never won anything without Brady. WRONG! Belichick went 11-as the HC of the Cleveland Browns. The Patriots still won after Tom Brady was knocked out for the year during the very first game of the season. They won with a QB that had never even started in college and yet took the Patriots to an 11-5 season while beating the Buffalo Bills 2x

Dungy never won anything without Manning. WRONG! The Tampa Bay Buc's made 4 playoff appearences with Dungy as HC, and was the first HC to ever leave the team with a winning record. That same team won the SB the very next year. though Dungy was fired the prior season and replaced with Jon Gruden, Dungy has been credited for constructing the team.

Cowher never won anything without Roethlisberger.HOLY CRAP, WRONG! Big Ben wasn't with the team save the last 3 years Cowher was there. 12 years! and was in the playoffs 8 of those 12, 9 of those 12 years were winning seasons,and made it to the SB one year, And Cowher's Steelers played in 18 playoff games W/O Big Ben. Cowher managed to accomplish all this with scrub QB's in Neil O'Donnell-Mike Tomczak-Kordell Stewart-Tommy Maddox.

Holmgren never won anything without Favre. WRONG! Holmgren won in Seattle with Jon Kitna and Matt Hasselbeck, even went to the SB with Hasselbeck at QB.

Shanahan never won anything without Elway. WRONG! Shanahan won in Denver with Jake Plummer at QB.

McCarthy never won anything without Rodgers. HOLY CRAP WRONG! 13-3 with Brett Favre at QB.

Coughlin never won anything without Eli. WRONG! In eight seasons at Jacksonville, he helmed the most successful expansion team in league history. Coughlin's Jaguars won 49 regular season games in his first five years as head coach. The Jags went 14-2 in 1999 with Mark Brunell at QB

It's the QB, and your examples prove it.

Wrong on everything.... :nana: Perhaps you should have stated those coaches never won a super bowl without those QB's.I say Its the great head coach that makes a great QB or finds one to make great. Elway was a 3x SB loser before Shanahan got to Denver and installed the west coast offense along with a devastating power running game.

I was arguing a point about how free agency and how it has affected teams vs what a good head coach can do to a team. YOU want to start a debate over elite QB's vs head coaches. I say show me a SB winning QB and I'll show you a great HC / coaching staff behind him. Kinda why the super bowl trophy is named after a head coach and not a stadium, owner, QB, team.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Actually, that's not true. He's built both the lines, which is the foundation of any team. You're just peeved we're not winning.

What happened to the OL in particular between 08 and 09 in Buffalo under Jauron and Brandon's watch was odd to say the least. It was almost as if people were trying to fail so as to get fired -- and they were. The Bills went from a line of Peters, Dockery, Preston, Butler, Walker to a line of Bell, Levitre ®, Hangartner, Wood ®, Chambers. There wasn't a single position of continuity in the entire offensive line. That's incredible. In 2012, Glenn, Urbik and Pears (IR) do seem to be upgrades, if not exactly all examples of Buddy building via the draft. The drafts for OL includes: Wang, Calloway, Hairston (IR), Jasper, Glenn, Sanders (IR), and Asper.

On defense, the Bills had Kelsay, Stroud, Williams, Schobel in 09. That's a pretty good group actually with 3 former Pro Bowlers. In 12, the Bills DL is Williams, Dareus, Williams, and X. One hold-over from Jauron, one 3rd pick overall, one high-priced free agent, and a revolving door of bodies. It's not that clear cut, and this unit was really awful with the switch to the Miami scheme out of the gate. The draft for DL includes: Troup (IR), Carrington, Batten, and Dareus.

By the way, with 3 tackles, the top reserve guard, and the backup center all on IR, the Bills face a tough month as they try to win out to make the playoffs. The latest batch of street free agents, Scott, Snow, Welch, Williams, and Young, will continue to get some playing time.