DraftTek Positional Needs

Astrobot

I know I will get lambasted for this, but I really don't see QB as a P1. Yes, we need to draft one, but we have enough needs to really make a major reach an unwise decision. I see it as a P2. Other than that, I agree with the board.

By that standard nothing should ever be P1 as you should never make a major reach.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By that standard nothing should ever be P1 as you should never make a major reach.

Not true. First, I never said that a major reach is never necessary. I just don't think we need to make one this year.

If I don't put a position at P1, and I put LB, WR, TE, CB at P2 (as an example), then the computer takes the highest available player on the Big Board at those positions.

For example, given the current big board and the Bills draft 10th. Let's say these guys are available:

Sam Montgomery LSU  DE43
Taylor Lewan  Michigan  LOT
Damontre Moore  Texas A&M DE43
Keenan Allen California  WRF
Jonathan Jenkins Georgia  DT34
Johnthan Banks Mississippi State CB

We'd get Keenan Allen because we have no P1, and our P2 ranked highest is Keenan Allen.

If we had WR ranked as a P3 instead, we'd get Johnthan Banks.

Edited by Astrobot

If I don't put a position at P1, and I put LB, WR, TE, CB at P2 (as an example), then the computer takes the highest available player on the Big Board at those positions.

For example, given the current big board and the Bills draft 10th. Let's say these guys are available:

Sam Montgomery LSU  DE43
Taylor Lewan  Michigan  LOT
Damontre Moore  Texas A&M DE43
Keenan Allen California  WRF
Jonathan Jenkins Georgia  DT34
Johnthan Banks Mississippi State CB

We'd get Keenan Allen because we have no P1, and our P2 ranked highest is Keenan Allen.

If we had WR ranked as a P3 instead, we'd get Johnthan Banks.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

Let me make an argument for all of you ranking QB as the #1 priority:

You can win football games with an average QB. Just look at Cinci, Dallas, shoot even Jacksonville the last 2 weeks with Henne in. Luck has been good...for a rookie, but not by the greater standard and the Colts have 7 wins. You CAN be a playoff team with league average QB play. You just have to have an above average defense.

That being said, the absolute weak spot on this D is the linebackers. All 3 of them. Barnett has been average, but he's 32. He's only going downhill from here. Sheppard has one more chance to make that 3rd year leap but after that, its goodnight sweet prince. Bradham has been OK for a rookie. Behind the LB's there are secondary needs for a CB2 (preferably a calm, steady veteran) and an SS because Wilson's play has really gone down.

If you fix the defense, you don't need to score 35 points a game or force your average QB to throw 40 times.

Romo and luck are far above average IMO. Qb's not defenses win in today's nfl Brady to the bowl w no defense, Brees, Rogers, Peyton, none of these guys need a d. Rogers sure doesn't

Buffalo has whiffed on many attainable qb options in draft over the years. No interest in McCoy, claussen, kaepernick, wilson,dalton. All of these guys fell and were attainable, not saying any of them necessarily is the answer. (cue colt McCoy jokes) But its time to grab one

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Trade up for Gino Smith. Then LB, LB, Center somewhere, LB.

Romo and luck are far above average IMO. Qb's not defenses win in today's nfl Brady to the bowl w no defense, Brees, Rogers, Peyton, none of these guys need a d. Rogers sure doesn't

Buffalo has whiffed on many attainable qb options in draft over the years. No interest in McCoy, claussen, kaepernick, wilson,dalton. All of these guys fell and were attainable, not saying any of them necessarily is the answer. (cue colt McCoy jokes) But its time to grab one

You are correct. And as I see none in this draft other than Smith worth taking in the 1st, I think we draft Smith. Perhaps Nassib a bit later. In between, LB's.

Right now, our team needs for the 2013 draft look like this. Each of the 32 DraftTek analysts has been asked to update their needs for December's mock, which looks like this. (For the sick, lame and lazy, the computer gave us Manti Te'O ILB this month and Terrance Williams WR last month).

You're all GM material, right? Give me your preferred positional needs. You can only have one top (P1) need, but you can have as many P2 or P3 needs as you want.

The next DraftTek Mock Draft will use our updated needs.

Astro

I'll buy that.

Right now, our team needs for the 2013 draft look like this. Each of the 32 DraftTek analysts has been asked to update their needs for December's mock, which looks like this. (For the sick, lame and lazy, the computer gave us Manti Te'O ILB this month and Terrance Williams WR last month).

You're all GM material, right? Give me your preferred positional needs. You can only have one top (P1) need, but you can have as many P2 or P3 needs as you want.

The next DraftTek Mock Draft will use our updated needs.

Astro

same as before, p1 QB, p2 WR, p3 LB

I go LB, LB, QB. I'm thinking that Te'o has played his way up the draft board this year and will be taken before we hit the clock. This is what I am now hoping for:

1. Barkevious Mingo / OLB / LSU

2. Nico Johnson / ILB / Alabama

3. Mike Glennon / QB / NC State

Mingo doesn't fit our scheme at LB he would have to play DE, Te'o is the only 43 LB that is top 10.