Tyler Wilson Q.B. Arkansas

Buffaloed in Pa

Watch some footage of his junior year before Arkansas imploded. He was considered by many to be a top QB prospect after the 2011 season, and likely would have been a top 5 pick if not for Luck and RG-III. He was very impressive last season.

The thing about watching footage is that it is often just highlights of the exceptional plays and doesn't give you a true picture of the player. I watch a ton of college football and watched numerous Arkansas games last year and this year. As I said, he was better last year, yes, but most of his great performances were against lackluster defenses. Also, he clearly regressed this year. Wouldn't you rather have the prospect that has shown marked improvement in his most recent season (Jones comes to mind) over a guy that played one season (with pretty good results) and then regressed a ton the following season? Couldn't the same arguement that we read all the time concerning Fitz and Gailey be used for Wilson where defenses figured out how to stop him and he couldn't adjust? That's what comes to my mind. There is no agruement on his arm strength, he's surely go that, he just doesn't have "it" to me.

And besides, wasn't Jevon Snead considered a first round (top 10ish) prospect going into his senior season as well after one pretty good SEC season? He struggled mightly his Senior year, wasn't drafted and never made an NFL team.

Edited by Mark80

Personally, I think Tyler is a great QB prospect whose play declined this season because he was on a horrible team with limited talent surrounding him (and terrible coaching).

So, what you're saying is this great QB prospect whose play has declined because he's on a horrible team with limited talent and terrible coaching, you want to bring to Buffalo to be the starting QB on a horrible team with limited talent and terrible coaching? Got it!

There are three very good qb prospects who will probably taken in the first half of the draft, if not higher. They are Geno Smith of WV, Matt Barkley of USC and Tyler Wilson of Arkansas. None of these three are in the elite category of Andrew Luck or RGII. But each of the three mentioned are good prospects who with the right coaching and approach can play right away. Landry Jones is a qb I am intriqued with. He has all the tools but I believe he is a notch down from the above noted qbs.

From a strategic standpoint it is better for the Bills not to win too much and thus creep into a lower draft position that will lessen the probability of getting one of the better qbs in this draft. In all likelihood KC is going to use their first pick on a qb, Geno Smith. Jacksonville might do the same. So it is not certan that the Bills will be in position to take one of these three qbs.

1) Landry Jones is the one guy I flat out don't want. He always seems to come up short in big games. I also am not a fan of QBs from loaded schools that play in pass friendly systems. He is not close to the player Bradford was and Bradford is one of the Qbs that is a worse starter than Fitz. PAss.

2) Wilson strikes me as another system QB who leaves me wanting more. A dominant college QB should thrive no matter what happens. I'd be very surprised if Wilson became anything special on the next level.

3) I hope Barkley or Smith fall but Aaron Murray has really grown on me. He is stepping his game up this year and becoming clutch. He doesn't have a dominant offense around him and he's still making plays. For all the talk of his height, Rodgers is 1" bigger. Collin Klein, Nassiq, and EJ Manuel would be interesting later picks but shouldn't be counter on as franchise guys.

The thing about watching footage is that it is often just highlights of the exceptional plays and doesn't give you a true picture of the player. I watch a ton of college football and watched numerous Arkansas games last year and this year. As I said, he was better last year, yes, but most of his great performances were against lackluster defenses. Also, he clearly regressed this year. Wouldn't you rather have the prospect that has shown marked improvement in his most recent season (Jones comes to mind) over a guy that played one season (with pretty good results) and then regressed a ton the following season? Couldn't the same arguement that we read all the time concerning Fitz and Gailey be used for Wilson where defenses figured out how to stop him and he couldn't adjust? That's what comes to my mind. There is no agruement on his arm strength, he's surely go that, he just doesn't have "it" to me.

And besides, wasn't Jevon Snead considered a first round (top 10ish) prospect going into his senior season as well after one pretty good SEC season? He struggled mightly his Senior year, wasn't drafted and never made an NFL team.

I just "call em like I see em" man. Like you, I watch a lot of college football and saw a lot of Tyler Wilson last season. Based on what I saw from him, I think he has all the tools to be a solid NFL quarterback....IMO a definite upgrade over Fitz. Arm strength, accuracy, touch on his passes, good decision maker, good size for a QB, tough player, good leader, etc...

I think he's gonna be a good one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.