Why is SJ13 getting a pass???

The Poojer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in SJ defense, he was never advertised as a big home run hitting WR....

He is a GREAT possession WR.... he will get you the first down catch, he can get into the open space, and he'll create just enough seperation for a QB to make the right pass.

I was a huge fan of fitz coming into the season, and his numbers are better than last year, but he has made this a hard season for his WR's... if its not underthrown its overthrown... that takes a toll on WR's mentally on the field

Meh, I'd rather him go down instead of taking a crushing hit for what might be an extra yard. How many times have we seen Bills receivers fighting for that 1 extra yard and have it get stripped.

That and he has been playing hurt for what 2 years now..

ok, everyone is talking about his limitations and how we just need to deal with it...but apparently the same isn't afforded to Fitz....he needs to exceed expectations every snap of every game or else he sucks royally.....BS!!!!!

Well, Stevie compensates for his lack of speed with exceptional route running. Fitz otoh does nothing exceptional, aside from throwing back breaking ints at crucial moments. He is late delivering the ball, has awful ball placement, and the worst downfield accuracy in the league, which is in no way aided by his minimal arm strength.

If a first down is on the line, then some extra effort makes sense. Otherwise, I am fine with Stevie hitting the ground or going out of bounds to avoid a strip/fumble and to save his body. I wish other players would do that.

If the Bills become absolutely, positively mathematically eliminated from any chance of post-season play in the next week or two, then I hope Stevie will liven things up with a few touchdown celebrations. At that point a 15 yard penalty won't hurt anything (it may even contribute to a better draft position if it leads to the Bills losing a close game).

ok, everyone is talking about his limitations and how we just need to deal with it...but apparently the same isn't afforded to Fitz....he needs to exceed expectations every snap of every game or else he sucks royally.....BS!!!!!

while I agree with this statement I also cannot even fathom why someone would blame SJ for this loss. If your trying to make a point that Fitz isn't really that bad and he deserves a little but of slack, fine. But you can't put SJ in there as a reason why we lost.

FWIW, I agree with you about Fitz. It's not his fault. It's Chans. Chan knows that Fitz is limited and yet he still puts the game on his shoulders. Like he's trying to prove to everyone that he can make Fitz a tip notch QB. He's just not that kind of guy. So if You wanna blame anyone for this loss, blame the HC.

While we're at it, why not blame Stevie for not breaking up Fitz's two under thrown passes last year vs. the Giants? I mean, it's obvious he should have stopped being wide open and knock the ball from Webster's hands.

Why is SJ13 getting a pass?

It seems to me the problem has more to do with SJ13 NOT getting passes.

This.

ok...i will have to accept the fact that we as fans have double standards....fitz sucks...SJ13 is doing the best he can do....

Stevie consistently gets open against the best CBs in the league, like Darrell Revis. That's his skill set; and that's why he's such an asset to the team.

There's no such thing as a perfect player. Tom Brady has lost a foot race to Drew Bledsoe. Joe Montana lasted until the third round because of his limited arm strength. Barry Sanders was often taken out of the game on goal line situation. If you want to criticize any player, you can always look for whatever his weakness is; and then identify a play which could have gone better, had it not been for that weakness.

If you look at Stevie Johnson's overall body of work--both over the last few years, and in that game--it's quite solid. It would be even more solid if he had a decent quarterback to get him the ball.

i haven't read all the game day 'anal'ysis threads, but what i have read puts the blame squarely on Fitz and Coaching...no one but me seems to pin this loss on SJ13 being caught from behind after catching, basically in stride....no other WR in this league gets run down like that....that was a game changer....sure we should have still punched it in...

also...anyone notice on 1st and goal at the 1 FJ almost dropped the ball....again!!!!! oh and the dickerson drop....too many drops to keep track of actually....

Seriously, SJ13 was the no where near the reason we lost this game. You know how many times he has been open this year and was either over/under thrown or ignored